Midrange horns for La-Scalas

Escher

Hi folks,

It looks like I may be picking up a free set of LaScala cabinets... A local establishment just wants them out, so I'm going to do what I can to get them.

I really dont have the funds for a rebuild, but I'm hoping I can do it over time... and this is too good a deal to pass up..

My question is this - I have found most of the parts for the rebuild - but I'm having trouble finding the Midrange horn assembly. I know I will need the K55 driver - but the only horn assemblies I see are from Heresey speakers... are they the same? Or is there an aftermarket horn that will work?

Keep in mind I'm going cheap on these...

no they are not the same. you need these which are K-400 horn. heresy uses K-700

you could contact klipsch parts and see if they still sell the K-401 which would drop right in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230957516486?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3109wt_1281

what parts have you found and what parts do you need.

might be cheaper to sell the cabs and just buy a set of complete lascalas

K-77's used 150 - 180

K-400 if you can find a pair 200-300 K-401 from klipsch used to be 60-100

K-55V used 180 - 240

K-33 woofers new 150-200

crossovers ???

Thanks guys!

This will be a project over a number of weeks / months as I'm very limited on budget...

I dont want to buy completed 'Scalas as that would be no fun!

I'm thinking about doing the bass extension modification... Probably will use Crites Woofers... Possibly Crites CT125 tweeters as well, depending on how funding goes..

If I manage to get these cleaned up and looking / sounding good - they could possibly replace my RF3-II's as my fronts... the RF3's would go to fund the build.

Not really sure how this is all going to pan out at the moment - the cabinets literally just fell in my lap. Planning to pick them up Sunday.

As to crossovers - I'll likely build a set of Type A's to start with..

I think if I come up with around $4-$500 I can get this show started...

Escher,

I started a LaScala project last year with a good deal on LaScala cabs.

My friend Tony Reed gave the cabs some TLC and installed the drivers. That's what I used. Crites woofers, CT125s, Type A/4500 crossover and K401 horns. Already had K-55's on hand.

The sound is very good.

I picked up a couple LS cabs some time back. None of the installed parts were correct, but I have a pair of K-33 and a set of AA crossovers, and some CT125 tweeters. The EV 1828R drivers will work okfor the mids.

I just got a small router and opened up the doghouses this weekend. Still cleaning up the dust. [:(]

post-7149-13819831754532_thumb.jpg

Sweeet!!!!

Now I'm starting to get excited - I just spoke to the seller - his company has always owned these and they were used for DJing..

He has a set of Type AL crossovers he will throw in - saves me a couple hundred bucks... I'll just rebuild them.

Its fun to learn some of the history on these old beasts - they are early 80's vintage.. pretty nice guy - He may buy our Churches old EV Sentry's that we arent using as well..

Bummer.... I called Klipsch.. No dice on K-401's... they dont stock them anymore..

I'm putting feelers out - anyone have a beat up set? I'd love to do a Fastrack upgrade... but theres no way I can swing that at the moment.

Bummer.... I called Klipsch.. No dice on K-401's... they dont stock them anymore..

Why? Are they replacing the design in a new version of the Klipschorn and the La Scala? I hope they are not discontinuing those two beloved speakers!

No idea

THe person I spoke to looked it up in the system and found the internal stock number for teh K-401, but showed none anywhere in stock...

I'm confused, because, like you, I figured that since the LS-II is still in production, they would have them...

Escher, have you checked with Bob Crites on a K-401 horn?

Have to say I'm astonished that Klipsch no longer stocks the K-401 horn since they are still using them in the LaScala and Khorn. Don't know whether that's ominous or good news for LaScala and Khorn.

Ok.. Lets try this a different way.

Assuming you had empty cabinets and could go any way with horns / drivers... all while trying to keep it as cheap as possible..

What would you do?

I'm open to a two way system as well... look at Selenium 2" Horns, I may be able to do a two way with crossover at 500hz... but not sure if the

bass bin goes that high... from what I have read, the stock crossover is 400hz...

Escher, have you checked with Bob Crites on a K-401 horn?

Have to say I'm astonished that Klipsch no longer stocks the K-401 horn since they are still using them in the LaScala and Khorn. Don't know whether that's ominous or good news for LaScala and Khorn.

I'll send him an email... I already started send emails to folks who make aftermarket horns..

Thanks for the idea!

I would really like to go two way with a pair of Dave's Eliptrac 400 horns. Really close to pulling the trigger on a pair, but things have come up (as always). Wife had to make a sudden family trip to the Philippines, so we're pinching pennies for a little longer. I do have the JBL 2365 horns I could drop on top, but would need the 2 inch drivers. Would also need them for Daves Eliptrac.

Sigh...

The bass mod will go forward though. I've been pushing it for a long time without ever doing it., so now is the time. I may do a slot port to the front, where the mid driver was mounted, and turn them upside down, putting a larger horn on the top (was the bottom). It's a concept, anyway.

Time to prepare some food. Just got off line with the wife. A 12 hour time difference in the Phils. It's morning there.

Bruce

Yuk Bruce - sorry your dealing with that - I know I'd be miserable if the wife had to be half way around the world!!!

The eliptrac looks sweet - I was checking that out as well.. but out of my price range atm..

Good news on a couple of other fronts though - Bob got back with me lickety split... and he said to call klipsch again and find someone else who knows there stuff... so I'll call again...

I also got a response from another gentleman who has a set of K400's and K55's at a decent price...

Now I just have to get the cabinets and make sure they are solid enough to start this process..