Forget What You've Heard. Only PIO's should be Used in Heritage

thebes

Kevin, I love you bro, but you might want to read what you just wrote a couple of times. :)

I'm just going to pretend you're asking me what my favorite cap is. :) Okay, well, that depends. With the first order ones (A, B & E), I like the Jensens. I would really like to compare the aluminum foil to the copper foil to see if I could hear a difference, but that's a pretty expensive experiment.

Once I get past two caps and a coil, I like OIMP V-caps and AudioCap Thetas. Basically oil impregnated metallized types and film and tin foils, the latter being preferred in tweeter sections.

So, anyone put in an order yet for some of the Russian PIOs?

I'm wondering what/who is a good source for good value pio's.

say for a type A network.

i've browsed partsconexion or whatever it is and ebay. can't even locate the right value caps much less make sense of prices. any help is appreciated.

I'm wondering what/who is a good source for good value pio's.

say for a type A network.

i've browsed partsconexion or whatever it is and ebay. can't even locate the right value caps much less make sense of prices. any help is appreciated.

Marty mentions to give him a PM about a source.

'84 HIP with the stock polypropylene sounded just as smooth and sultry as a pair of '58 Heresy loaded with its original PIO's last time I listened.

Would've been nice to know how the original Cornwall caps stacked up to the new Russian PIO's instead of the aforementioned Sonic Caps.

new Russian PIO's

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking the Russian Military PIO's (or film in oil) that's mentioned, are old 1980's military surplus capacitors.

But these caps are usually hermetically sealed, with ceramic terminals. Built to last. Of course, one should measure for leakage, capacitance, etc...

A lot with the older heritage speakers use what appear to be common motor run capacitors...not too sure on that.

• Like 1

As a Les Paul guy - PIO caps give LP guys that warm all over feeling.... aaahhhhh....

They are the grail in the vintage guitar world, next the vintage bumblebee's... Interesting to see the similar trend in my favorite speakers..

I'm thinking it has been some time since Klipsch used PIO caps in crossovers. Does anyone know the last speakers built with them?

I've had Khorns and LaScalas as old as 1977 and they just had motor run caps in the AA crossovers. So that's been 36 years in my own limited observation.

So, I'm guessing it was Mr. PWK who made the decision to not use PIO caps. Can anyone offer some help with that?

Any thoughts appreciated.

new Russian PIO's

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking the Russian Military PIO's (or film in oil) that's mentioned, are old 1980's military surplus capacitors.

But these caps are usually hermetically sealed, with ceramic terminals. Built to last. Of course, one should measure for leakage, capacitance, etc...

A lot with the older heritage speakers use what appear to be common motor run capacitors...not too sure on that.

More than likely from the 80's. I'm using the one guy because he appears to have good, properly stored surplus mil, based on the fact that Craig tested all eight of them and found them all to have very tight specs, no leakage etc. , and he has a much better tester then my little multi-tester.

As in generic sounding or they sure do sound good?

Can't comment as I am not a 'Golden Ear'....

So you just buy high end esoteric gear of out of What? Boredom? Filling an unrealized but real undefined urge/need? Cause I can?

My wife makes me do it? My boss is an audiophile and I am a suckup? I knew a priest one time who told me....

So you just buy high end esoteric gear of out of What? Boredom? Filling an unrealized but real undefined urge/need? Cause I can?

My wife makes me do it? My boss is an audiophile and I am a suckup? I knew a priest one time who told me....

Some things I can hear quite easily, others not so much. If the 'High-End' Gear is expensive and I can hear the difference, I buy it. SET amps are very pleasing to my ears as are Klipschorns. Cables....Not

PIO Russian Caps are just as Cheap as any, so I buy them.

new Russian PIO's

More than likely from the 80's. I'm using the one guy because he appears to have good, properly stored surplus mil, based on the fact that Craig tested all eight of them and found them all to have very tight specs, no leakage etc. , and he has a much better tester then my little multi-tester.

I don't know if this is a concern to anyone here, but these old caps contain PCB's, even caps from the 1980's. Not trying to start a controversy but this is important health info that you should have, especially if they ever leak:

In the 1970s, PCBs became associated with a variety of health risks, and by the 1980s, their use and manufacture was either banned or severely restricted in the major industrialized countries. However, although the U.S. and Canada stopped production in 1976, world PCB production is still considerable if falling. The Soviet Union was still making PCBs as late as 1990. In 1988, total production to that time was estimated at 1.2 million tons. About one third was already in the environment, two thirds in storage or in use, and only a few percent having been destroyed.

PCBs are believed to cause liver and nerve damage, are believed to cause cancer, and to be teratogens (cause reproductive damage). Furthermore, their good chemical stability means that they biodegrade extremely slowly. PCBs are fat soluble rather than water soluble and are not quickly eliminated by the body. This allows disproportionately high levels of accumulation in body fat from low level exposure (called bioaccumulation). They are also concentrated by the food chain, sometimes many thousands of times (called biomagnification).

Wow... I had no idea about the PCB's in these guys... Glad all my amp and guitar projects had nice clean PIO caps with no leakage... I guess I wont be buying any more..

Thanks for the heads up!!

They may be safe if they do not leak. I don't know. I do know that PCB's are a big deal in environmental investigations that I review. Just want to get the word out there, that's all.