Anyone up for a 4K TV?

Mongo171

When I start sitting 6 ft from the TV and start noticing pixels, I'll check into one.

In the documentary Side by Side, there is a portion close to the end of the feature that discusses the new higher resolution cameras, namely the Red Epic and the ARRI Alexa, that have 15+ stops of dynamic range, 4K horizontal pixels or greater resolution, and frame rates up to 120/second (the human eye itself works at about 70 frames/second). The comment was that "we projected the new 4K images on a big screen using the newest 4K [movie theater] projectors available, and the results were incredible." I guess that you'd need a screen that is at least the equivalent of 40 feet diagonally (a low estimate) before you'd begin to see the difference.

Or you could pay your $10 at the budget showing times at your local theater and see it there, assuming you want to sit on the front row... [+o(]

[:D]

I took a look at a 4K TV a couple of months ago and didn't notice much difference between that and my Panasonic VT30 1080p plasma set. I was kind of happy about that, plus the 4K set was $25,000.

Bear in mind whether audio or video, it's about the SOURCE material. Unless you know precisely where what you watched sleep last night it is suspect.

OTOH, no matter how deep the color gamut, how wide the black to white, or tiny pixels, video remains flat as a pancake and the classic "Mallettes Cat" law remains the law.

Dave

Can a Bluray do 4K content?

Not currently... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Ray#Video

"On January 14, 2013, Blu-ray Disc Association president, Andy Parsons,

stated that a task force was created three months prior to conduct a

study concerning an extension to the Blu-ray Disc specification that

would add support for 4K Ultra HD video."

I forsee a 4k projector in the next year our two not right now though

All TV's and players will not be any good until they get the format down and onto a medium. Remember what happened to the current HD format (Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD)?