HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Between a sinus infection and my Daughter's birthday party I didn't work much this weekend. I did manage to have a productive Sunday Afternoon.

My Daughter was my helper when I was cutting the concrete for the speaker behind the screen.

amber.jpg

IMG_2184_1.JPG

I cut in a steel brick ledge on the front and back of the 12" block then cut the rest of the hole and took it out with a sledge hammer.

I welded 1.5"x 1/8" flat bar between the front and back brick ledge to hold them in place.

I Built a simple 3/4 plywood box for the center to sit in. It is 14.5" tall, 36" wide, and 19" deep (inside). Big enough for any forseable upgrade.

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

Scratch coat of morter before applying the stone.

IMG_6389.jpg

Progress on the stone is very slow...

I put the bottom of the Center channel about 18" above the bottom of the screen.

I just wanted to be certain that no masking would get in front of it.

IMG_6432.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

30 days till our visit....cmon bro...you can do it! Big Smile Can't wait to see it in person.

Looking forward to it!
If the weatehr is nice we will spend the weekend wakeboarding. Otherwise we will spend it in the HT. Not a bad weekend either way.

Ordered these for the fireplace and the top of the colums on each side of the screen.
Corbel1

This one is for the fireplace mantel:

corbel

Looking good man. Are the front speakers going in front of the brick?

Yes, only the Center will be hidden. With all the woodwork going into this room I hope to one day upgrade to a nice pair of Cherry RF-7s.
Something that would be more of a showpiece in the room.

I found a pair, they just cost as much as this entire project.

• Moderators

With all the woodwork going into this room I hope to one day upgrade to a nice pair of Cherry RF-7s.

Dude, you just made my heart stop. RF-7's in your room with an RC-7....I believe you would absolutely love that setup.

Something that would be more of a showpiece in the room.

Showpiece of sight and sound!

You know what I paid for my son's pair.....I found them once, just might be able to find them again. Might not be cherry though. If you got them at a sweet price, you could always swap them out later down the road for a cherry set.

Honestly, I'm tempted to pack my RC-7 when we come up to visit so you can try it out in your system. I'm just scared it won't come home with me. [:P]

I had a busy Saturday in the HT. It was my only day to work down there so I hit it hard.

I framed up the equipment rack, and moved the stud that would be in front of the opening where the sub will sit behind the wall.

I also framed up the side walls for the small equipment closet to separate it from the workshop.

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

Due to the AC ductwork it will be one of those duck to get in kind of closets. You can see I will have front and rear rack rails to support deep rackmount fixtures such as drawers and maybe a future Rackmount UPS. I ended up with a 47" rack.

IMG_6435.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

I also built the screen Saturday. I used pocket hole joints (glued and screwed) instead of "L" brackets mainly because I already have a pocket hole jig...why buy brackets? I built it about 1" bigger in each direction than needed for 130" diagonal screen so my masking can overlap.

IMG_6434.jpg

Screen tight installed.

IMG_6438.jpg

Reinforced the corners with 1/4 plywood. Didn't get a pic, but I mitered and attached shoemolding to the front edge so the fabric would stand proud of the center supports, and I would have no edge bleed through.

IMG_2205.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

This is the walnut for the faceplates of the rack. I will use the plunge router to cut out the openings exactly the size of the Xbox360, PS3, etc.

This is just one pass through the plainer and wiped with a wet towel. No stain required, just some poly or maybe tung oil.

IMG_2198.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

Started cutting pieces for the lower cabinet that will be below the screen. Used up the wood I had already planed, so back to the planer I went.

I have a pretty large stack of oak that needs maybe 2 more passes and it will be ready to build with.

IMG_2201.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

If you ever wondered how an electric screen knows where to stop here it is.

IMG_2209.jpg

On the top right you see a long slender gear. It spins as the screen goes up and down.

The smaller gear on the brass threaded rod moves up and down (left to right) that rod as the long gear spins it.

When it reaches the end it presses the plastic plunger with the spring into the blue NC momentary switch to break the circuit.

This is repeated on flip side with another nut setting the 'up' stop point.

After a bit of frustration I finally figured out that this switch had failed.

luckily I was able to find one at Radio Shack last night on our way to see Iron Man 3.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Where's th' Cowbell? Gotta have a little more Cowbell!

All 5 cowbells are safely out of the massive dust zone I have created during this build.
We live in the country. We even have a MSU cowbell by the back door we use to call the kids in for supper.

Nice productive weekend. It's cool how everything you do is precise and calculated. Very nice work

Thanks Youth. I only have 2 Saturdays before your group gets here. Tell your kids to bring work clothes ;-)
I like the way you call it "Precise and calculated" most people just call it anal.

This this thing is going to be so awesome! Thanks for the pics of your hard work!

Thanks Dave, It has been fun so far. I wish I could just take off work for a week and finish it.

It would go faster, but all the wood is from a local kiln and I get it rough cut (except 2x4's). Wonderful wood, it just takes time to straight line and plane every board.