what is a Jubilee?

Arash

hello dudes

actually I'm waiting for my pair of Faital Pro HF200s and I'm building a pair of Fostex H200 biradial horns.

h200-large.jpg

I already have a pair of CW1526 woofs. I also have access to Beyma
products. the plan is to built bassbins and make a 2-way speaker. I'm looking for some info about Jubilee to see if they are good for my application. I have some question if anybody is kind enough to answer me:

is there any plan of Jubilee?

how many woofer(s) a single Julilee has? 12" or 15"?

has anybody used any of Beyma woofer in a Jubilee successfully?

considering what I explained, do you suggest me to build Jubilee bassbins or you think I'd better go for a Khorn or a LS (maybe ported) bassbin?

any help is much appreciated

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arash,

The Jubilee bass bins are approx. $7000 a pair in the U.S. Plans aren't exactly available, since this a newer Klipsch production speaker. They use two 12" woofers per cabinet instead of a single 15". Although easier in some ways to build than a Khorn, they are rather complex. A few clones and homebuilts have shown up, but most are hesitant to show drawings as, again, they are a current model Klipsch and the company has been so helpful and tolerant of the DIY crowd here.

For example, rigma, a forum member, built his own, and the tests of those was close enough to get a kind of thumbs up from Roy Degado of Klipsch fame. Rigma then went on to buy factory made ones to complete his home theater. That said, rigma isn't mailing out plans for his builds.

Bruce

Arash,

The Jubilee bass bins are approx. $7000 a pair in the U.S. Plans aren't exactly available, since this a newer Klipsch production speaker. They use two 12" woofers per cabinet instead of a single 15". Although easier in some ways to build than a Khorn, they are rather complex. A few clones and homebuilts have shown up, but most are hesitant to show drawings as, again, they are a current model Klipsch and the company has been so helpful and tolerant of the DIY crowd here.

For example, rigma, a forum member, built his own, and the tests of those was close enough to get a kind of thumbs up from Roy Degado of Klipsch fame. Rigma then went on to buy factory made ones to complete his home theater. That said, rigma isn't mailing out plans for his builds.

Bruce

Uh thanks man [Y]

so I think I'd better go for ported La Scala bassbin. I think they are much smallet and will go deeper in low end and are easier to build. I already have 15" woofs so building Jubilee is not the smartest thing to do. I think biradian horn + HF200 on top of a ported LS will work well.

does Klipsch offer K402 horns for sell? how much do they cost? I think K402 and HF200 combination will result in some good listening experience

For sure the Jubilee bass bins will have tighter, cleaner bass, and I think they will still actually go lower than a ported LS. IIRC, Dennis says the ported LS will go to 32Hz flat, but you have to put another filter on the input to your amp.Certainly a much easier build.

You can't get the 402 without getting the driver with it. The stock driver is the K69, which is the same as a PAudio BMD750. I don't remember the approx. cost, but the shipping is what would be high for you. You could consider a K510 (same rules apply about getting them with the driver). A few folks have those on their LS cabs. Islander is one, so you could have a look at his setup.

Bruce

arash, i think the ported lascala is a good prospect for use as a bass bin and the faital pro driver is a winner.

the K-402 is definitely not a bang for the buck performer. they are very good horns, but pricey. disclaimer: poor man's perspective here.

think there are some other really good options out there. one sleeper i think is dave's elliptrac horn.

For sure the Jubilee bass bins will have tighter, cleaner bass, and I think they will still actually go lower than a ported LS. IIRC, Dennis says the ported LS will go to 32Hz flat, but you have to put another filter on the input to your amp.Certainly a much easier build.

You can't get the 402 without getting the driver with it. The stock driver is the K69, which is the same as a PAudio BMD750. I don't remember the approx. cost, but the shipping is what would be high for you. You could consider a K510 (same rules apply about getting them with the driver). A few folks have those on their LS cabs. Islander is one, so you could have a look at his setup.

Bruce

I think I can live even with 35Hz bassbins so I think I go for a ported LS. seems no chance for me to have K402, for now I'll put time on biradial horns as once I heard one with Radian 950pb and they sounded better than Avantgarde Uno to my ear. HF200 will do the job for me. I may try a conical horn in size of K402 in some other time and maybe I'll build some tractrix but for sure my first choice would be biradial wood horn

arash, i think the ported lascala is a good
prospect for use as a bass bin and the faital pro driver is a winner.

the K-402 is definitely not a bang for the buck performer. they are very
good horns, but pricey. disclaimer: poor man's perspective here.

think there are some other really good options out there. one sleeper i think is dave's elliptrac horn.

yes I would go for stereo-lab or Oris horn if I'm gonna burn +1000USD but I think all do agree K402s are so charismatic and I think they'll provide a good image and sound field

"Dennis says the ported LS will go to 32Hz flat, but you have to put another filter on the input to your amp"

Bruce, could you say more about that? This is a filter that is upstream of the power amp?

Yes, placed on the input of the power amp. Like most things I have, it is somewhee around here. I'll have to dig up the notes and get back to you.

Bruce

I have something specific for the ported LS that he wrote... that dealt with the LS tuning, The problem is that I have all my old PCs, so there's a total of six here, plus files on my work PC. I've been trying to consolodate everything and just have a backup, but you know how that goes...

Bruce

I have something specific for the ported LS that he wrote... that dealt with the LS tuning, The problem is that I have all my old PCs, so there's a total of six here, plus files on my work PC. I've been trying to consolodate everything and just have a backup, but you know how that goes...

Bruce

Try MS synctoy. Does a great jo.

Quit beating around the bush, go big and never wonder again. Stick out tongue

I really want to build a cople of MWM singles, and set them upright. If that doesn't wok I'll lay them down normal.

btw, have you seen the Klipsch documentation on having MWMs facing the floor but raised up off the floor about six or eight inches? You could place them flat against the back wall (making a shallow footprint).

Bruce

• Moderators

No I have never heard of that, had no idea.

btw, have you seen the Klipsch documentation on having MWMs facing the floor but raised up off the floor about six or eight inches? You could place them flat against the back wall (making a shallow footprint).

I think the $7,000 figure is for complete Jubilees, bass bins with two 12" drivers per cabinet, plus two K402 horns with K-69A drivers, and includes stands for the K402 horns. The K402s with drivers and stands are around $2000 for a pair.

Last time I checked, that $7,000 price included delivery, so it's a pretty good deal.

As you may know, Jubilees come without crossovers, and are meant to be bi-amped and have active electronic crossovers feeding a matching pair of stereo power amps. They're a factory-tested combo and come with the lab-tested crossover settings, so you will actually know the complete system is performing as designed.

With home-builts, they may sound pretty good, but it's hard to know if they're really performing to their potential, since you probably don't have the testing equipment, skills and knowledge of Roy Delgado, who designed and calibrated the Jubilees, in a team with PWK. Also, I don't believe La Scalas, ported or not, with have the low bass extension of Jubilees.

The La Scala bass horns are a simple conical horn from the Seventies, while the Jubilee bass bins are a much later and better design that has lower distortion and bigger sound.

rigma is very happy with his homebuilt Jubilees bass bins, and they really are things of beauty, but after seeing the time and expense it took to build them, he bought his second pair from Klipsch, rather than building another pair himself.

The JubScalas are less expensive and smaller than Jubilees, and are said to provide about 90% of the sound quality of Jubilees. I haven't heard Jubilees myself, but I've read this on the forum a few times. If my budget ever permits, I'll likely order a pair of Jubilees, for the improved sound, plus I already have the matching amps and the EV Dx38 digital processor.