Lawnmowers/Push vs Ride?

billybob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that makes sense. Guessing our yard inside fence is large but we try to keep a half an acre or more mowed in the season. Thinking about one of those mini-riding mowers with good turn radius and not such a large mower width for getting between obstacles. Exercise is good but, these hot, humid summers here are not getting any cooler.

Push for sure. No self propel. B&S Quantum engine. No self propel makes for a light machine and less to go wrong. Maintain engine and enjoy problem free mowing for a long time. Also don't bag get a mulching mower.

Not familiar with the Quantum engine. After 11 years our rear self propelled gave it up. Could fix it but, what a pain. It was a mulcher and did a good job. 6 hp.B&S.Light sounds good alright.

There are riders, motorized propelled, stand riders, pushers and strictly manual. I'd say yard size dictates this answer. A small yard really would not accommodate any type of rider and a big lawn would be better groomed with one, and faster. For yard snobs like myself, the question is reel or rotary. Those grass patterns on baseball fields..... reel mowers. Golf course tees and greens.... reel mowers. Anyway, I use a non propelled power rotary pusher. I mow the yards 2 or 3 times per week. I do bag cuttings. Saves that annual dethatching chore. If you fertilize there's nothing to gain by leaving grass cuttings. Now does anyone have a cure for crane fly grubs?

There are riders, motorized propelled, stand riders, pushers and strictly manual. I'd say yard size dictates this answer. A small yard really would not accommodate any type of rider and a big lawn would be better groomed with one, and faster. For yard snobs like myself, the question is reel or rotary. Those grass patterns on baseball fields..... reel mowers. Golf course tees and greens.... reel mowers. Anyway, I use a non propelled power rotary pusher. I mow the yards 2 or 3 times per week. I do bag cuttings. Saves that annual dethatching chore. If you fertilize there's nothing to gain by leaving grass cuttings. Now does anyone have a cure for crane fly grubs?

LOL, I remember the rotary from seeing the neighbors when a kid using one. Sounds healthy and, guessing it does a good job. Crane fly grubs?

billybob,

a couple of thoughts here: everyone i've known with a rider, including me, still needs a push mower to get places the rider won't get to. depending on what's left after riding, one might be able to manage the rest with a weedeater.

i think people make the call considering a couple of issues. one is the size of the area that needs to be mowed. some are just too big to mow with a push mower. well, assuming your time has something to do with the consideration. The wider the swath the quicker you can finish.

The second issue is the health and energy of the mowing person. Lots of lawn that could be mowed with a walk behind, self propelled or not. My guess, since you are asking the question that the size of the yard leaves the question open. If you're up to it, mowing is excellent exercise, pushing or walking behind, that is.

One sign that you are getting older is that you are proud of your lawn mower. ;-)

My favorite mower i ever used was a ZTR with a 60 inch deck powered with an 18hp Kubota diesel. Had about 3 acres to mow. It probably cut mowing time in half compared to a 42" standard lawn tractor type. also, in terms of maneuverability there wasn't alot of trimming left to do. It could cut almost anywhere a push mower could cut.

billybob,

a couple of thoughts here: everyone i've known with a rider, including me, still needs a push mower to get places the rider won't get to. depending on what's left after riding, one might be able to manage the rest with a weedeater.

i think people make the call considering a couple of issues. one is the size of the area that needs to be mowed. some are just too big to mow with a push mower. well, assuming your time has something to do with the consideration. The wider the swath the quicker you can finish.

The second issue is the health and energy of the mowing person. Lots of lawn that could be mowed with a walk behind, self propelled or not. My guess, since you are asking the question that the size of the yard leaves the question open. If you're up to it, mowing is excellent exercise, pushing or walking behind, that is.

Thanks for those thoughts. We just picked up an electric weedeater today. Yes when I was a teen did yards for a business, A Cub Cadet 12hp and a push mower.

Starting to get curious as to if the electric is up to the task. But not so curious as to find out now. The bugs are bad along about now. Ya'll have given it some thought, I can tell.

Thanks a whole lot.

I tend to be a brisk walker, even when mowing. Therefore, I don't care too much for a self propelled.....I want to move faster than it will move.

That said, for the last 10 or so years, I've used a 5' or 10' mower behind a tractor as cutting 100 acres with a walking mower, propelled or not, would take a really long time.

I tend to be a brisk walker, even when mowing. Therefore, I don't care too much for a self propelled.....I want to move faster than it will move.

That said, for the last 10 or so years, I've used a 5' or 10' mower behind a tractor as cutting 100 acres with a walking mower, propelled or not, would take a really long time.

Glad to hear the non propelled push, has it's followers. 100 acres may not get mowed if left up to me, propelled or not.

My take on weedeaters: the electric probably has enough power to do the job. It's just a matter of the inconvenience of pulling an extension cord that's the problem. Don't think a rechargeable electric would do it, though.

I hear you on not being curious enough to change to check it out. You'll have plenty of time this season and the electric may very well handle everything you need it to do.

My take on weedeaters: the electric probably has enough power to do the job. It's just a matter of the inconvenience of pulling an extension cord that's the problem. Don't think a rechargeable electric would do it, though.

I hear you on not being curious enough to change to check it out. You'll have plenty of time this season and the electric may very well handle everything you need it to do.

tLOL, plenty of time. I have a 50 foot/100 cords so, it will be interesting. Had gotten a gas weedeater awhile back and unless you take some precautions when winterizing, they go down quick. Maybe they included some whipcord in package. Hope so,lol.

Also, agree on the rechargeable batteries. Although improving, a bit to go yet in developing size to power/capacity vs weight in those ni-cads. Rechargeable mowers look interesting, but cannot attest to weeedeater or mower. A solar bank of batteries would be a way to go when using too much power. There is a new charger on the market btw that, efficiently charges by solar or AC but I may be going off topic.

With one acre with 75 trees it's a zero turn rider for me. I am now having to mow 2-3 times a week. Best choice of trimmers, etc is the Echo line of PAS power head. I use the line trimmer, blower, edger, hedge trimmer and pruner with mine. I could use a small push mower to just get the slopes on the front yard ditch but the trimmer takes about 10 minutes to get the banks.

I used a 24v Black&Decker cordless mower for a few years. It did a good job for about a quarter acre and was quiet. It was a lot heavier than a push gas powered. Eventually the batteries fail. I would have had to take it about 40 minutes away to get replacements installed at a $100 dollar cost. That's when I switched back to gas. Maybe it's different now but there's no way it would do a half acre in one session.