Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Well, I was counting on everyone else being lazy and only Mike and me knowing about it. :-)

Don't worry I am so lazy, I never opened the box I received from Marvel with the crossovers in them, so they never got hooked up. I just relabeled them and shipped them off. hahahahahahaha ha.

Dean: I don't mind helping with this, and hope we can go through it by both of us communicating in a way that's courteous and conducive to working things out in a way that suggests being on the same side and working towards a common goal. I completely agree with you about constant soldering, desoldering, and resoldering. It's hard on parts, particulalarly with PCBs. I I've had people send me amplifiers to repair where the only fix was to order and restuff the circuit boards because someone had ruined them with constant changes, usually to audition different capacitors. The reason a switch is easier (and I can answer this without being defensive) than plugging in and unplugging wires is based on my thought that flipping a switch back and forth is easier than plugging and unplugging wires. What this would require is a single pole switch with two or more output positions. The pole, which will be in common with only one output at a time (when switched to that output position) will be connected to the amp input. Each of the two outputs will be connected to one end of the input cap that feeds the autoformer. The connections between the two switch outputs and the two caps to their position on the autoformer can be made to be permanent. Now, as far as the unknown cap value, if I may, let me answer your question with another question: By what method does one arrive at values of capacitance for taps 3 and 4?

BTW: you know how one's acoustic memory kind of sucks? ok, let me restate that: I know MY acoustic memory isn't always accurate over time. The sort of switching device mentioned above, say a single pole 6 position switch, can be wired to individually make connections to the autoformer (for position 4 as an example) via six different 13uf capacitor types/brands, and thereby have the opportunity for making comparisons in situ. The opposite ends of the caps (the autoformer end) will be in common, but only one cap will be in the circuit at a time. You also don't have to connect 6 different leads to the autoformer lug, but rather connect them all to the solder lug on a terminal strip, and then just a single lead from the terminal strip lug to its position on the autoformer. This is easier by far than yanking those caps in and out, which is a pain in the butt anyway you look at it.

Chris: Thanks for contributing. Dean does know how to determine the impedance and thus capacitance of those common autoformer positions. He is asking for a more comprehensive description on using a switch to switch between autoformer taps, as well as the value of capacitance for a level of attenuation between taps 3 and 4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

"He is asking for a more comprehensive description on using a switch to switch between autoformer taps"

Where did I ask that. I have no interest in that whatsoever. What I was attempting to do was to demonstrate to you how impractical your approach is. To get all of the settings, you would need a bank of capacitors -- and I asked if you knew how to do what needed to be done to get the correct capacitor values for the various levels of attenuation. You respond by asking me a question you know I already know the answer to, and by the way -- the math for that is not the same as the math for the other (the question I asked you).

Dean: of course you're right. Before I sign off from this thread, allow me to say I am glad you have been feeling better. There was a time not too long ago when that wasn't the case, and it seems that there has been, hopefully, a marked improvement. I meant to tell you, too, that I had a visit at your website, hoping to find a visual of the crossver in question, or perhaps a schematic. I'd like to compliment you on the very professional looking quality of your work. You've come a long way in the last ten years. I'm going out tp grill some burgers. We finally have a nice, clear, blue and dry day here in usually hot and humid SE Texas.

Very kind words Erik, thank you very much. So far, I'm still okay, but as I tell people -- radiation and chemo are the gifts that keep on giving. I have very low energy levels and I have PCCI, so I've lost some of my cognitive function (can't you tell). Still, I'm here to enjoy my family and to harass you guys. Apparently I'm a lot grumpier than I used to be too. I checked with my family on that one and they agreed. Ouch. :)

You're welcome -- well deserved, and you've worked and studied consistently over the years to get where you are. Anyone having to undergo all of that is bound to feel out of sorts -- I am sometimes too and, while I am on heart meds for an apparently inherited heart condition, I can't imagine going through chemo like you and some members of my family. Maybe sometime later I'll do a separate post on what we've been discussing. I'm interested in it again for myself, and need to retrace my steps from a bunch of years ago. I was working on a way to simultaneously (DPDT) switch between input caps (just two were needed) and autoformer positions (all I mentioned above was the input end). Just simplify the thing and use a variable L-pad ??