Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Bubble wrap is 50 cents a foot and I have to pay for the box, the tape (it adds up) and of course the time it takes to deal with all of this. I started using a local packaging business (not a UPS store) to pack and ship my work. They understand how much the work means to me and to the people receiving it, and I appreciate that about them. It adds a little to the shipping cost but saves me a lot of time and stress and helps support a local growing business.

Bubble wrap is 50 cents a foot and I have to pay for the box, the tape (it adds up) and of course the time it takes to deal with all of this. I started using a local packaging business (not a UPS store) to pack and ship my work. They understand how much the work means to me and to the people receiving it, and I appreciate that about them. It adds a little to the shipping cost but saves me a lot of time and stress and helps support a local growing business.

It seems like a fair price. Supporting local business is a must in my neighborhood too. [;)] Kudos! [<:o)]

Dennie

• 4 weeks later...

Please PM me or contact me through my website - thanks!

Bob, I would like to say I'm sorry for some of the things I said to you in this thread. I felt like you were deliberately pushing my buttons and I over-reacted. If you'll take my call, I'd like to talk to you about it. I promise not to be grumpy.

Amy, please lock this tread.

Please PM me or contact me through my website - thanks!

Bob, I would like to say I'm sorry for some of the things I said to you in this thread. I felt like you were deliberately pushing my buttons and I over-reacted. If you'll take my call, I'd like to talk to you about it. I promise not to be grumpy.

Amy, please lock this tread.

Sure Dean. Give me a call.

Bob Crites

• 2 weeks later...

I got through the first 4-6 pages, and then had to give up and ask my question.

Im wondering if any of you Crossover gurus' have come up with a fully passive 3 way crossover for the Jubilee,

Jubilee LF, K402/KT-1133, K510/K69A.

It came with a 2 way behind the screen crossover for the HF section(402, and 510), its meant to be bi-amped with some processing. I have a couple crown xti 1000's to do this job.

I'd prefer to go fully passive if possible. Is there anything i could try for this?

There are a couple of optimized filters designed by Roy Delgado of Klipsch, but unfortunately they don't involve the 1133 (they are two-way designs using either the K-69 or TAD). There are other possible options but they are best discussed in a separate thread or by PM/email. This thread was really for the folks involved in the Roadshow for the purpose of sharing their experience.

I would like to finally post my experiences with the roadshow crossover and my current crossover of choice. I'll follow up later with my experiences with quite a few other crossovers I've tried.

After trying out the roadshow networks it was a no-brainer that I wanted a pair of these for my own!

It was obvious that these networks were something special but it took some time to wrap my mind around these. Here are some notes I took and shared with a few of the other roadshow participants:

"I got the roadshow crossovers and put them through the paces as I got the xovers from Tom and I'm putting time on them now. I have a lot of various networks to compare to but I'm pretty bad about changing more than one variable at a time so I can't go into my past listening experience and be very scientific about it since I'm not comparing apples to apples. I don't have to put any other networks on these Lascalas to know that these are a different animal. I would take these over the stock AA networks in a second.

I wish I was better at choosing words that accurately convey what I am hearing. I'll give it a shot now and after I listen some more over the next couple of days.

I’ve been really puzzled by some of what I am hearing. I think the cohesion between the horns is excellent. Very smooth! Balanced is another word that comes to mind. There is a "mellowness" that I can't quite figure out. This is something for me to get used to but it seems to be growing on me a bit but then I listen to something else and I'm not sure again. It seems some tones in some voices have a little distortion...
... At the same time it is strange to me how I can hear that mellow sound AND such clarity and good highs (well, lows too). It can get loud without falling apart as well!"

After a couple more days of listening:

" ...I am slowly coming around to accept that I am hearing better resolution with the Super AA networks and that is why I am conflicted. Some stuff sounds so good and yet I'm hearing some things that aren't so good even on what are considered audiophile recordings. Hearing more of what is in a recording isn't a completely good thing I suppose so you have to accept the good with the bad. In the end, what makes me want to sit and listen?"

Well, my answer was to give it ALL to me.. good and bad! My answer was Dean’s Super AA’s with oimp V-Caps. I've been listening with these for almost a couple of months now and am very happy.

• Like 1

This isn't exactly revelatory stuff because I think we all know by now that the better the resolving power of the system the more we can pull out of the recording. The additional detail is great when the recording is good, not so great when it isn't. For reasons I haven't been able to figure out, recordings that fall somewhere in the middle usually end up sounding subjectively better.

The normal thing to think here is that people are hearing more detail and elevated levels in the higher frequencies because they are replacing 30 year old or older crossovers with something new -- but only one person was in this situation, while everyone else was/is using something already recapped or completely new (various circuits).

Bruce's (Marvel) comments here and in the other thread over in mods are of particular interest since this network and the one he's using are quite similar. Bruce's DHA2 has a single capacitor for the tweeter while the Super AA uses a third order filter section. Bruce's attenuation setting for the midrange is fixed at -3dB, while the Super AA is adjustable and is sent out set at -4.6dB. So, both the tweeter and midrange are delivering a little less output than what Bruce is used to. However, these combined differences, in spite of being relatively small, create what might be considered a disproportionate impact on the sound. Both the DHA2 and Super AA are really just modified versions of Al's Universal Type A (ALK), but anyone who has heard all three will tell you that though they come from the same family, like family -- they have very different personalities. What you learn is that it doesn't take a major change to a circuit to make a major change in the sound. I've always found that interesting and I guess I'd like for everyone to find that as interesting as I do.

Cameron's (Muel) post pretty much sums up what the other testers are telling me. I really wasn't expecting this to turn into a Super AA love-fest when I started the thread. What I was expecting was something more balanced with a little of something that mirrored my own personal experience -- and only Jeff came through for me on that one. After hearing Tom's Super AAs he had me build some PIO Type AAs for him. Both are very happy listening to some very different sounding LaScalas!

I love the sound of the Type A and AA. The network I used 90% of the time was a pair of Type As with no low pass coil. IOWs, my networks had three parts. Easy to get away with if you don't listen crazy loud, and with my small room it worked pretty well -- I preferred the sound over anything I'd built/tried. At the point I realized I no longer needed adjustable attenuation and having outgrown the excessively loud listening sessions, it was an easy transition. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really surprised by the level of acceptance for this design as well as the equally high level of rejection for the ones I actually prefer! Well, I do have a theory for that ... if you want the old school sound then build with old school parts. I've been messing around with some RB-61s that I use for listening while I work. Sometimes it's nice not learning anything new.

• Like 1

I like the messaging system of the new forum. Please don't hesitate to use it if you need to reach me. My email inbox is a mess -- I've decided I'm not the biggest fan of gmail.

I took my phone number down off of my website. I enjoy the conversations, but they cut into time I should using to get things done for people. I really just don't have time for consulting anymore. The number of calls I get from people asking me questions about things other people sell is almost as much as the number of calls I get about my stuff! If you're having an issue with something you just bought from one of the other guys, please don't call me about it.

There is also going to be a lot less from me here. To be honest, the culture here has changed quite a bit, and it really is to the point where I can't use any word related to crossovers without someone thinking I'm trying to sell something. I recently made a pithy tongue in cheek comment in the active/biamping thread in the technical section and was asked if I was "still selling". I think it's pretty sad when someone who's been contributing here as long as I have has to put up with that kind of treatment. I started the roadshow because so many were asking about the different crossovers, what they offered, what they sounded like, etc -- I just thought the best way to answer the questions was to let people listen and compare. Seriously, is it the end of the freaking world if I get a return for doing this?

For those who care -- we did a full blown comparison between an active set up and passives with the Jubilees. The active set up was very nice, as were the passives. Those who can't hear worth a **** preferred the active set up, and those who actually know what music is supposed to sound like picked the passives. Oh, and there were actually people in the room who couldn't hear a difference -- you always have those, they're everywhere you know. :)

• Like 1

Oh, c'mon Dean, don't let the bastards get you down (or into your head). There are always going to be naysayers and the socially inept; it comes with the territory. Likely envy, petty jealousy, etc.

Dude, ya got a LOT of fans out here, many of whom are polite and therefore silent. You have contributed alot to this forum and you are one of the posters i always look forward to reading, even though most of the technical stuff goes over my head. Shake it off. The sun came up today, and it will tomorrow too, and the next day . . . . . . .

• Like 2

For those who care -- we did a full blown comparison between an active set up and passives with the Jubilees. The active set up was very nice, as were the passives. Those who can't hear worth a **** preferred the active set up, and those who actually know what music is supposed to sound like picked the passives. Oh, and there were actually people in the room who couldn't hear a difference -- you always have those, they're everywhere you know. :)

So I can't hear worth a **** Dean..???? and thus I also must not know what music is supposed to sound like...God help me I've been clueless all these years..!!!

So which is the best amplification Tubes? Solid State? Push-Pull? Single Ended? Please tell me

cause I can't hear worth a **** and I find things I like about all of them..!

While I'm at it I guess I should also confess that I like quality Analog and Digital recordings ...

miketn

"can't hear worth a **** and no clue what music sounds like" :lol: