Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Okay, so they are just Type AAs, and can't be used in a "CornScala" without a little bit of work, and I mean very little.

Drop the squawker wire to Tap 3.

Drop the tweeter section to Tap 4.

Remove the black capacitors (they look like Bennics or Daytons), and replace with 6.8uF

Right, nothing in the instructions change. I asked the question because after thinking about it some, I realized that many around here designate anything that's been modified, "a CornScala" - so I thought I should ask about the horn.

Right, nothing in the instructions change. I asked the question because after thinking about it some, I realized that many around here designate anything that's been modified, "a CornScala" - so I thought I should ask about the horn.

Hi Dean, I have a couple of questions, are the Cornwall crossovers still traveling around? Would the networks you built for my Cornscala version be something useful for Carl to compare with? As a reminder mine are Bob's cast woofers, Daves fastrac with Atlas drivers from Bob and Beyma tweeters. They aren't in use at the moment while I do some box modifications.

The fastrac horn is a 400Hz horn as well. It would require the same mod as the K-400 shouldn't it?

Hey Carl, if these would be relevant for you to compare let me know and I can live without them for a while why I'm doing the mods and other items on my list. Edited by Pete H

Hey Carl, if these would be relevant for you to compare let me know and I can live without them for a while why I'm doing the mods and other items on my list.

Thanks for the offer Pete but I'll pass, for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I have no base line for comparison as I've spent zero time listening to them yet. I heard them at the sellers house long enough to be sure all the drivers worked. Once I got them home, I saw a couple things I didn't like. The terminals on the back were in a recessed cut out that didn't look finished at all. I have a terminal cup coming that will cover the ragged hole, seal off and look nice. 40% of the screws that hold the backs down felt stripped. I've bought some longer screws that will reach down into the fresh unstripped section of the backs and pull tight. There's no gasket on the back so I'll be installing one. Last (and worst) is the motorboards. The Velcro's loose as well as the material but glue will fix that. The biggest problem with them is the fact that when the Fastrac horns were installed, the motorboard wasn't cut! It still has the small opening of the stock horn cut into it. I'll probably have to strip the material and router out the new shape. And yes, I need to mod the crossovers. I won't be listening to these for a while, but when I get done, they'll be right.

I'm also building a fence at my son's house and have a bathroom to finish here at my house. Time is short. I also may have a sub to build next month..................................

Hey Carl, if these would be relevant for you to compare let me know and I can live without them for a while why I'm doing the mods and other items on my list.

Thanks for the offer Pete but I'll pass, for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I have no base line for comparison as I've spent zero time listening to them yet. I heard them at the sellers house long enough to be sure all the drivers worked. Once I got them home, I saw a couple things I didn't like. The terminals on the back were in a recessed cut out that didn't look finished at all. I have a terminal cup coming that will cover the ragged hole, seal off and look nice. 40% of the screws that hold the backs down felt stripped. I've bought some longer screws that will reach down into the fresh unstripped section of the backs and pull tight. There's no gasket on the back so I'll be installing one. Last (and worst) is the motorboards. The Velcro's loose as well as the material but glue will fix that. The biggest problem with them is the fact that when the Fastrac horns were installed, the motorboard wasn't cut! It still has the small opening of the stock horn cut into it. I'll probably have to strip the material and router out the new shape. And yes, I need to mod the crossovers. I won't be listening to these for a while, but when I get done, they'll be right.

I'm also building a fence at my son's house and have a bathroom to finish here at my house. Time is short. I also may have a sub to build next month..................................

No problem, just letting you know that I would. As long as you're having to do all the refurb work, if you have anyway of getting a Beyma CP25 as they blow away the others, but you won't have room for everything in a stock box.

Okay everyone, level with me. Why isn't anyone interested in trying this? Where is the curiosity that really is the thing that drives our hobby? The goal is seeing if I can increase your pleasure in listening. Sure, I might make a little bit of money, but is that idea really so offensive, I mean, people recommend other equipment to each other here (which drives up sales for companies like Oppo, Emotiva, etc.). This is an opportunity to try something unique for very little money, and people around here used to jump on stuff like this. Did I offend, is it because I used entry level capacitors, or something else. It would great hearing the reasons, even if they involve a butt chewing.

Hi Dean

I think the offer is outstanding...but I also think the forum structure is very complex and as a result..a lot of folks are not aware of it....gone are the days that you knew whats was happening by just monitoring threads that have been answered vs threads that have not. So this is in the two channel section..might also need to be in the updates and modifications section.

That post of mine was from the beginning of the thread, it started slow for sure but eventually took off. The same is happening on this second round, especially with the Cornwall version, which is really odd -- I thought Cornwall users would be all over this one.

I think most surf this place the way I do, at least I think they do. This place isn't as active as it used to be, so I normally hit just about every section.

The 2-channel section is where I call home, so it just seemed like the best place to do it.

The budget Super AA is back. It's being built real close to the way the roadshow version is. We're calling it the Super AA/e.

The charge coupled capacitor experiment is about to launch. That consisted of DJK forcing me to write all of the requirements of the design out on a napkin. I can't decide who is worse, Dennis or Al -- just give me the damn answer!

All of the battery biased filters will carry Dennis' initials, I just haven't decided how to differentiate the various models yet. I've also been really tempted to offer them in kit form -- I'm still on the fence with that one.

interesting read for sure...I bumped up an older thread about battery bias AA. The my chicken scratch schematic was redrawn by GetHover. I used a different approach from the mainstreamers like JBL and a few others who have been doing this for a while. I wanted to charge both sides of the cap, and I think that the approached used does that. It's a little more costly in terms of batteries and capacitors, but in theory, you can get by with cheaper caps.

They're home safe! Will listen to them tonight. I've swapped a new chip amp into place while I was waiting for these, which may have been a bad move if the goal is to provide listening differences between the crossovers. I'll give it a shot and see if there's any synergy with the new TI based amp, switching over to the Tripath amp if not. That's my bad for changing multiple factors in the middle of performing scientific method.

post-34066-0-13480000-1392072387_thumb.j