Klipschorn question.....

john toon

Hello, I am new to the klipsch forum but not klipsch speakers. My dad owned a pair of belle's years ago and I can remember even as a kid how well they sounded. I recently just bought a used pair or 1960's klipschorns, mint cond, from the original owner along with a klipsch sw-15 sub and klf-c7 center channel speaker all for only 1600 bucks. I am very happy with my purchase!!! I recently took one of the terminals off to examine the inside woofer and noticed two fairly large caps inside the woofer horn. I haven't heard anyone talk about these so I was wondering what they are for? And If I eventually upgrade the crossovers should these be replaced too?

John,

A BIG welcome to the forum. It is nice to hear that you your dad introduced to the Klipsch sound with the Belles. Can you tell us where they are now?

Please post pictures of your K-Horns. We all like pictures.

However. what you describe is a bit incongruous. It seems that you have opened up the back chamber (also known as the dog house) for the woofer and found components of the crossover circuit. However, that sort of circuitry would only present in something much more recent than 1960's K-Horns.

Here is a link to the schematic of the units with crossover components in the dog house.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/150512/1559661.aspx#1559661

Either what you have are not 1960 K-Horns, or they have been up graded.

I think you should not rush into any upgrades either way. What you have are jewels in their own right.

WMcD

hello, thanks for the quick reply. yeah, i think I might have a set of later 80's khorns instead. even better!!! there may have been a misunderstandng between the previous owner and what I was asking him. I wasn't at home when I posted this so I didn't have access to the x-overs. I did have a video the owner emailed me and it had the x-overs on it which are the ak-2's. I'm still learning about these incedibly musical beasts... one day, when I win the lotto, I wish to own a mcintosh set up to power them with. But in the meantime I am using a denon avr-1911 which does pretty well. My dad sold the belle's to a friend in friendsood TX and he still owns them as far as I know. here is a pic of my set up. it's a 20X20 room with half of the back of the room open to the kitchen.

klipsch korns

Looking at the picture of your room, I couldn't help noticing the size of your huge clock. That's not something I usually point out.

Is it from a factory shop wall or the like?

Also, congrats on getting your Klipschorns. As others suggested, listen to them and learn how they sound before thinking about doing any mods. It's easy to change the sound without improving it, and you don't want to do that.

BTW, is that a Chapman Stick or a Yamaha Silent Bass near the left window? Nice room and nice gear.

I couldn't help noticing the size of your huge clock.

Had to do a double read on that, after my jaw dropped.

Keith

Well, a clock that big is usually only seen on a big erection like a clock tower.

Note to john toon: we're not weirdoes here, just jokers. [:D]

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks all for the welcome, I am really enjoying the sound I'm getting out of the horns. They really fill up the room well. It took a bit of EQ'ing to a achieve the sound I was looking for but everyone's ear is different. Now concerning the clock, lol, it was a Craigslist item I found on the cheap so I snagged it. Yep I'm a craigslist junkie... The bass mentioned is an electric upright bass I built.

Thanks all for the welcome, I am really enjoying the sound I'm getting out of the horns. They really fill up the room well. It took a bit of EQ'ing to a achieve the sound I was looking for but everyone's ear is different. Now concerning the clock, lol, it was a Craigslist item I found on the cheap so I snagged it. Yep I'm a craigslist junkie... The bass mentioned is an electric upright bass I built.

You built your own bass? Very cool and impressive! [Y]

Also, that room looks ideal to give a big soundstage with your Khorns. Have you listened to many live recordings with them yet? I expect they could sound really good.