New Tweeter

Deang

Al and Dave are at it again. I love you Klipsch -- how come you guys aren't doing stuff like this?

I've seen all of the plots, including tone burst tests comparing the various available tweeters. Some testing still remains, but I'm pretty excited about this particular set up.

post-3205-1381986098525_thumb.jpg

There was (is) a guy selling those wooden horns on Ebay that looked similar to these. Are they similar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Wave-Guide-Horn-Tweeter-Driver-Home-Audio-Klipsch-K-77-replacements-/141053062214?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item20d76aec46

$%28KGrHqJHJFcFHn7rjtj3BR+T7VH3j%21~~60_

Tame the your Klipschorn, La Scala or Belle with our new direct replacement wood waveguides!

Every horn is precisely cut with a CNC and completely hand finished then assembled right here in Maine.
Waveguide horns are used in most studio monitors and noted for they’re linear response, openness and lack of high frequency beaming. The waveguide gives you all the sound quality of a horn without the flaws and coloration.

We use the American made eminence apt-50 and can make these horns out of any wood (some woods may add extra cost). Our goal is to use mostly upcycled wood to reduce shop waste and save the extra cutting of trees, also reducing the cost to you!!

What to expect.. The k-77 is a great tweeter but has always been a little hot in my opinion, almost a little harsh and over bearing. I love how these waveguides smooth the high end without losing presences. Also there is a better balance between the mid range and high frequency with less separation between drivers.

I would be very unhappy if I bought a tweeter from someone online and find out it was not what I was looking for. If you are unhappy with your order you can return for a full refund within 7 days of receiving it. So, the risk is mine, just send it back in perfect condition I’ll refund your money! Shipping is not refunded.

Thank you for taking the time to view are horns!

This looks really, really good! Thanks for posting this Dean. I try to check out Dave's pages on a regular basis and thought he would try something like this. I'm waiting for an injection molded version of his Elliptrac horn (like the Oris composition). That should drop the price like crazy if he had enough orders.

Bruce

I knew when that Ebay seller wouldn't consider changing his horn mounting to remove that tube style adapter a better idea was bound to happen

that makes that ebay mount "weird" as the driver & the horn have a lenght of tube between the 2 .

I felt that Dave surely would take the idea further & design his own horn

it's looks like that is gonna be the case .

Dave is Great ! his work is amazing !

There is always break-up and ringing but some is obviously worse than others. If someone has aged induced hearing loss they're still going to hear the effects of ringing. You might not recognize it while you're listening but you'll sure notice when there's less of it! This isn't about whether you can hear out to 20kHz or not, this speaks directly to how cleanly a driver delivers transient information. I've been saying for years that the Beyma sounds cleaner to me and now I know why. The problem with the Beyma of course is that one is forced into the horizontal arrangement which is less than ideal. Now we have a strong performer that also allows for the preferred and correct orientation of the driver. I would encourage people to research this topic to gain a better understanding of what the results are showing.

Tone burst at 6kHz doesn't tell a complete story(?) other than the capability at that fequency. I prefer water-falls and frequency magnitude plots.

Test setup

McIntosh MC 2205,

CLIO 24-bit Fire-wire,

Earthworks M30 microphone (flat to within 1.2dB to 30kHz),

log-chirp,

500mV input voltage,

sampling rate 96kHz,

no smoothing,

near-field, on-axis (microphone about 2" from phase-plug apex).

So fire-hose feeding signal to the transducer, HUGE bandwidth at the measurement end, SNR massive and cross-correlated with input!

Plot is the Electrovoice T35, rings at 3k and 8kHz, magnitude response dies at 12kHz.

There is always break-up and ringing but some is obviously worse than others. If someone has aged induced hearing loss they're still going to hear the effects of ringing. You might not recognize it while you're listening but you'll sure notice when there's less of it!

Good discussion point. Ringing is a consequence of the diaphragm deviating from the so-called "ideal piston" motion. Here's where Beryllium has the edge on Titanium.

Very nice thank you for the info next question I guess is to Dave when will they be ready.Smile

There is still a bit of work to be done on these. I hope to have a batch ready soon, however I have orders to fill and little time.

Dave

Tone burst at 6kHz doesn't tell a complete story(?)

Not to worry John, the tests are not done. I suspect these tweeters may be going on a road trip in the near future for Spectrogram testing.

Dave

Tone burst at 6kHz doesn't tell a complete story(?)

Not to worry John, the tests are not done. I suspect these tweeters may be going on a road trip in the near future for Spectrogram testing.

Dave

I've measured this tweeter driver on another horn. In my experience, the response plot for a tweeter is more a function of the microphone used to make the measurements. The higher the cost of the microphone the worse the response seems to get.