La Scala ll woofer access

Mdud

Hi forum,

Well my La Scala ll's were delivered Friday after a 7 week wait, and they are worth it! I have read a lot of Klipsch info on this forum and others, and still was not prepared for the HUGE sound even at low volumes. Even in my small listening area I don't feel overwhelmed with them, and I dont think they are too much either. I did not expect the warm rich sound even though I'm using tubes. No honky bright brittle cupped ear horn sound hear..Yes!

But I do have a question about them. As I read through posts pertaining to La Scala's both one and two I found some referring to bass bin modifications, and several mentioning an access door on top or bottom of the bass bin for woofer access.

When I unpacked my La Scala's bass cabinets, I noticed a large cutout in the shape of a speaker. I wondered what it was for, so I'm guessing now it is the woofer access? So is there supposed to be a door or cover of some kind over this cutout? Mine are just open holes, on both speakers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

It would be an awful lot to get a picture of this today. I am still sore from unpacking and setting these monsters up, and I have to work today. I would have to completely unhook one, remove the top cabinet, and drag out the bass bin and turn it over. Maybe soon though if I need to show a picture to Klipsch or whoever.

Yes, the 2's come in seperate boxes for high and low cabinets. No, there is nothing left in either bass bin box except packing, all of which was removed from the bins in my living room, so there is nothing hiding.

Hard to believe they missed putting them on not one, but both speakers ? Apparently, but if those cutouts are supposed to have covers then neither one does.

Sounds like I will be calling customer service ASAP.

Thanks for the replies

Hi forum,

Well my La Scala ll's were delivered Friday after a 7 week wait, and they are worth it! I have read a lot of Klipsch info on this forum and others, and still was not prepared for the HUGE sound even at low volumes. Even in my small listening area I don't feel overwhelmed with them, and I dont think they are too much either. I did not expect the warm rich sound even though I'm using tubes. No honky bright brittle cupped ear horn sound hear..Yes!

But I do have a question about them. As I read through posts pertaining to La Scala's both one and two I found some referring to bass bin modifications, and several mentioning an access door on top or bottom of the bass bin for woofer access.

When I unpacked my La Scala's bass cabinets, I noticed a large cutout in the shape of a speaker. I wondered what it was for, so I'm guessing now it is the woofer access? So is there supposed to be a door or cover of some kind over this cutout? Mine are just open holes, on both speakers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you started with your question about access holes, I would have suggested to you that the sound would have been very thin & lacking....which is not what you suggest in the first part of your post.

Taken as a whole, I find it a bit contradictory.

I find it hard to believe that you'd be missing the hatches on both speakers and start off with the positive comments like you did. Besides, if the hatch was missing, I'd expect you to ask why you can see the driver inside.

It will be interesting to see what you refer to with the pictures.

Well, no one likes being wrong but this time I'm glad I am.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I put off work and went ahead and took off a high freq cabinet, slipped the packing cover on the bass bin underneath, turned it over like it was in the box originally and.....

ACCESS COVER!!!

It's painted flat black against a walnut finished panel. I only **assumed** it was a hole, I never touched it to check.

Thank you all for trying to help, and your replies.

Mdud

Well, there ya go! Aren't you glad that you confirmed that your new speakers were complete and fully assembled? You don't want to be in doubt about things like that.

The La Scala IIs do sound great, don't they? I've had mine since June, and I'm listening to them with pleasure right now.

Have you experimented with position and direction? You can find lots of discussion on the forum about where to place and aim La Scalas. LS2s are similar enough to LS1s that the same principles apply.

Awwww, WUZZZER,

Thanks for posting my exploded view of the LS, but it's the original and not the LSII. Still, the access IS on the bottom.

I would love to hear a pair of the LSII sometime.

Mdud, welcome to the forums!

Bruce

Thank you all for the help, and the exploded view of the La Scala is really interesting, had no idea there were so many parts inside! Even if that is the La Scala original as the poster said, and mine are the 2's. I would have been very disappointed if there had been such a major overlook or error when the guys in Hope were building my speakers. They are huge!, but somehow they still fit into my space and look like they just belong there, even though my listening area is very small..about 15 by 15 really, can't believe they work so well.

I do have another little issue with them however. When I put the top cabinets on, they didn't *quite* line up with the bass cabinets. They are both off about an 8th inch to one side. I checked the serial numbers to be sure I had put the correct top cabinets with the bass..but both of them are still off to one side. What's funny is they are both off in the same direction, horizontal to the right, no matter how much I try and line them up. They have a little wiggle room of course when they are sitting on the rubber bumpers of the bass cab..just not enough to line up.

I think I can loosen the rubber bumpers and try to align them but I was a little sad they were that way. I don't think I did anything wrong in setting them up but just like the access door, maybe I'm an idiot :D

Seriously, if anyone has any comments about this I would be glad to hear it, and thanks again to the forum.

LS_qtmahogany_1024_sm.jpg

Exploded view of LaScala for reference.

I have always wondered why they didn't put a angled piece on the sides (rear of each side) to smooth the horn instead of having it do a 90....

You mean vertical corner reflectors? If I recall correctly, those who have added them have heard little difference.

Bruce

• Like 1

I wondered about the square corners, but someone pointed out that it's a speaker, not an intake or exhaust manifold, so it's not about flow, it's about sound vibration and reflection. Maybe introducing 45-degree angles would add unwanted sound reflections or otherwise impair the sound.

• Like 1