PBS Hendrix Documentary Program(American Masters)

billybob

Having read the article it unfortunately sounds as though the documentary is (in part) going to attempt to dredge the racial aspects of the mans career. Why we cannot just memorialize the person, his music, his uniqueness and his qualities without cloudy controversy is unfortunate. I'm not saying racism was not part of his situation, it is part of all of our situations. But IMHO it would be better to celebrate the man for his wondrously creative elements and not tarnish that celebration worming hands about the downsides. Heck, PBS could do an entire program on race and mid 20th century black musicians. They'd include Hendrix, Nat King Cole and so many others. We shall see.

I do look forward to the presentation. Like many here, I saw Hendrix in person many times. As an usher at the Hollywood Bowl we all got treated to the preconcert test runs by that wonderful trio. Mesmerizing - more so than most musicians of that time and genre. Hendrix was possessed of his songs, like that guitar was just another natural limb.

Maybe the doc. will transcend race issues. Certainly the Experience was a hit in Europe. Youtube has/had some Royal Albert Hall performance videos with decent(to me) recordings. The faces of some in the audience gave me the impression they had not signed up for the trip, but were wowwed anyways. The reporter in the article gave me the impression, he had limited personal knowledge and was pressed to do the article, with. If he should view the doc., he may have second thoughts.

Only saw the group twice as can recall. Well once Experience and the other BOGypsies.

There have been many very decent PBS offerings, mostly past Austin City Limits. Example: Roy Buchanan.

It really lacked a powerful way to contrast Jimi's use of guitar with what was the excepted rock standard of the time. Unless you were there and knew that already, the show would not have properly expressed that idea of how revolutionary he was.

Yeah, I can agree with this. The commentary discussed it frequently and in some detail but it was not deeply demonstrated. What I appreciated about the show was that it did accurately capture and show the character of the man. He was humble. He was dedicated almost to a pathologic degree - to his music and musical devices. He was not inhibited by racial issues nor was his career limited by racism. As a biographical documentary it worked - it nailed the man - it nailed the times.