Internet explorer question

Coytee

Got my satellite internet setup today, yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

www.exede.com

So far I must say, WOW. Getting about 18 megs on the download and 2mg's on the upload.

I can certainly live with some lag if that's my only trade-off.

Here's a question...

I once read that to limit some data download, I should turn off something like animated ad's so when I go to a webpage, more of the content alone is downloaded instead of everything (and therefore chewing up my data allotment)

Is this possible & where does one do it?

Congrats! I hope it works out for you.

Download and install Google Chrome. Then install the extension called AdBlock. Internet Explorer is so slow compared to Chrome. It is slow compared to everything! Chrome will speed you up, and AdBlock will kill ads.

If there is a way, check your download status from time to time. That way you won't have any surprises. There are utilities you can install that will monitor download quantity. I have used them and they work well. it is best, however, to just check with your ISP.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

12mbps is fast?

we're looking at 1gbps speeds here in Vegas...

you can unistall flash... that will limit moving content on your downloads, but to be honest... it's not that much. once a action sequence is downloaded, it's in your cache. it's not like it is continually downloaded.

12mbps is fast?

you can unistall flash... that will limit moving content on your downloads, but to be honest... it's not that much. once a action sequence is downloaded, it's in your cache. it's not like it is continually downloaded.

Unfortunately, Coyotee is in a rural area which has dial up or ISDN only. He posted this in another thread. Satelite was his only option. As we all know, eventually the infratructure will improve and he will get cable broadband or at least ADSL. I wish I had fiber like you. That would kill....

Ditch Internet Explorer and download Google Chrome, that will speed you up big time right there!

I love that Icon, so true. I use Firefox on an old XP machine with 1 gig of ram and it is really fast. I just can launch it from MS Outlook. Microsoft is like a bad friend that treats you bad every time you see them, need to get them out of your life but somehow just can seem to completely break the tie.

I never liked Google Chrome, I highly recommend anyone using a 64bit machine try WaterFox which is a high performance 64bit version of FireFox.

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Waterfox-logo-300x300.png

I'll have to take a look at it but what I've found is that they all have their issues, Chrome is faster on my 5 year old laptop with a 2 core 2g Celeron and 4g of ram but I can't get Chrome to work with Acrobat X to convert web pages to PDF's which works great in Explorer. I just got done building a new machine with an 8 core 4g processor and 8g ram and Explorer is faster on it as well as my office tower which is a core i7 so all I've found is that you can't have it all. :wacko:

I never liked Google Chrome, I highly recommend anyone using a 64bit machine try WaterFox which is a high performance 64bit version of FireFox.

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Waterfox-logo-300x300.png

Unfortunately, I cannot try that on my current non-64 bit machine. For Coyotee's sake, does it allow for an AdBlock type of tool? That is, after all, the question he asked in the first place. I feel like I've caused the thread to wonder a bit off-topic.

12mbps is fast?

The Chattanooga, TN area (including the north Georgia area close to the city) has gigabit fiber to your house. Non commercial routers won't benefit, and they top out their routing between 700-800 or so Mbits. Commercial routers that DO cost way more. Our Cisco gear won't actually route at the gigabit rate our school gets.

It's still nice though. Chattanooga was the first in the nation to gt online with the huge fiber distribution. Comcast filed all sorts of things to stop it, but couldn't.

Bruce

Comcast can sit on it. I want fiber coming to my house as would anybody. They and their investors need to step aside and let the likes of Google run fiber directly. If you live in Austin, Kansas City or Provo, you have the new Google 1Gb. I did not know about Chattanooga being the ground breaker. That is awesome.

The nice thing is download and upload speeds are the same. It's been around a little while, but at present I'm a little to far outside their installation. Hopefully (dammed realtors...) we'll be moving this weekend.

Most of my co-workers are on the EPB fiber and absolutely love it. Their support is superb, too. Our college, where I work, switched to them for the main isp.

Bruce