$400 2.0 budget system for my neighbor

Youthman

Scrappy, did you have the Icon towers at one time? Ron just showed me a pair of VF36 Floorstanding that are local for $275. Amazon is showing them for $220 each so it seems like a descent price for them. Might be able to get them for $250 which would put me close to my budget, maybe a little over.

I have never heard the Icon series but it says they have (3) 6.5" drivers which "should" provide a descent amount of bass. Anyone ever owned the VF36?

I had the VF35 5.1 set up and it was pretty impressive for the price. Then the upgrade bug bit me.

I believe Derrick had the VF36's

Note: Only the tweeter grill is removable fwiw

Edited by Tasdom

I've never heard those specific models. I have the icon w. Two different series. I have heard the kf series that best buy sells now and I'm not a big fan of them. The thing I love about the icon w's besides the pretty finish is they are really smooth for a Klipsch speaker. Kind if the way you compare the 83's vs your 7's. I really love these icon w's for music. And they do have a very surprising amount of bass for 5.25" woofers. And they are only about half as deep as my 63's. And like two inches shorter. Very nice indeed. I think derrickdj has some of the vf speakers.

Scrappy, did you have the Icon towers at one time? Ron just showed me a pair of VF36 Floorstanding that are local for $275. Amazon is showing them for $220 each so it seems like a descent price for them. Might be able to get them for $250 which would put me close to my budget, maybe a little over.

I have never heard the Icon series but it says they have (3) 6.5" drivers which "should" provide a descent amount of bass. Anyone ever owned the VF36?

See now I was thinking $200 :lol: . That would keep you closer to budget.

Ron

If you can get Ron's RF-3ii's and pretty much any airplay receiver within budget they will be blown away.

If they were going to go with a soundbar then comparatively speaking that system would seriously impress.

It would also be a good start to a real HT system. I was very happy with the RF-3ii's for years and would still have them if you hadn't beat up that lady and taken all her speakers.

Look at the Forte. They can probably be had in the price range you're looking at. If they are too much, KG4s can be had for less, likely in the $200 range or so. Compared to what they were thinking, the Forte would be a HUGE improvement, and the KG4 would be just a notch or two below.

If you can get Ron's RF-3ii's and pretty much any airplay receiver within budget they will be blown away.

If they were going to go with a soundbar then comparatively speaking that system would seriously impress.

It would also be a good start to a real HT system. I was very happy with the RF-3ii's for years and would still have them if you hadn't beat up that lady and taken all her speakers.

Ron's wife has decided to keep the 3ii's. She wants something to put back when the 83s move to a different location.

Ron

There is a marantz nr1402 listed in Orlando for $200. It's not a powerhouse but it has anything you could ask for in a newer hdmi receiver for its price point. I have been emailing the owner and it was a floor model so it's missing the mic but I'm sure one of us could send one over as a loaner to get things set up

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Pretty excited....I've been communicating with a seller this evening. Should be picking up a system for my neighbor tomorrow morning. I'll post pics and details hopefully tomorrow evening. Until then.....I'll keep you guessing. :P

• Moderators

Today I brought home what I believe was a very good deal for my neighbor and should WELL exceed their initial desire for a soundbar.

I picked up the following for $500:

RF-42ii

RC-42ii

RB-41ii

SW-350 Sub

KW-100 Sub

Harman Kardon AVR2600

The plan is to sell the KW-100 since it's the weaker sub for $100 - $150. That would put us within the original $400 budget. :D

Be sure to check out the Klipsch RF-42ii vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison thread. :D

Overall the speakers are in excellent shape. The subs have a few marks and nicks on them but not horrible.

Here are a few pics of the setup

Klipsch-RF-42-Speaker-System-1.jpg

Klipsch-RF-42-Speaker-System-2.jpg

Klipsch-RF-42-Speaker-System-3.jpg