Klipsch RF-42ii vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison!

Youthman

• Moderators

I was tasked with finding a $400 2.0 Budget system + Receiver for my neighbor that I posted. Today I brought home a system that I believe will work very well for their setup.

This was my first time seeing or hearing the RF-4ii, I thought many might not have had the chance to see them either so I wanted to share a Comparison Thread of them vs RF-7ii vs RF-83.

My first impression when I arrived at the seller's was, "Wow, these are tiny speakers". When I brought them home, my 7 year old daughter says, "Daddy, those are tiny speakers." LOL The RB-41ii and RC-42ii are small enough you can easily palm in one hand. :D

I hooked them up in the 2ch setup in the living room to see how they sound. They have a SURPRISING amount of bass for dual 4" drivers. Although they are tiny in size, I was not expecting that much bass from them. I actually expected little to no bass whatsoever but I was pleasantly surprised. Paired with the SW-350 sub, I think this will make a fantastic setup for my neighbor.

There is no doubt they cannot even compare to the RF-7ii so I didn't even bother trying any audio comparisons. :P What I did want to share in this thread was their size comparison. I figure it's not often you get to see the Reference babies next to their father.

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-7ii-1.jpg

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-7ii-2.jpg

Initially I thought I was going to place them on the outside of the RF-7ii's but without even moving them, their slender physique allowed me to squeeze in between the audio cabinet and the RF-7ii without having to move them. ;)

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-7ii-3.jpg

And here they are next to the RF-83's.

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-83-4.jpg

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-83-5.jpg

Here is an RB-41ii, RC-42ii, and RF-42ii standing next to the RB-83's.

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-83-6.jpg

Klipsch-RF-42-and-RF-83-7.jpg

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

Sorry Scrappy for not believing you. I have NEVER been a fan of 4" drivers (still not a convert) but these definitely surprised me. Definitely worth checking out if you need some really small speakers and want a good quality sound.

I forgot to post these two comparison pics.

RB-4ii next to the RS-62ii

Klipsch-RB-42ii-and-RS-62ii.jpg

RC-42ii next to the RC-64ii

Klipsch-RB-42ii-and-RC-64ii.jpg

I had the series 1 42's and for their size, they performed well for what they were. You arent buying them for a full service stereo experience though. I found myself over exerting their abilities while on full range just watching a movie at normal volume. Nome the less they have algood sound. Hopefully your neighbor will be pleased

• Moderators

I had the series 1 42's and for their size, they performed well for what they were.

I think that's the key we have to remember here. These are small, 4" drivers. We can't expect them to even begin to compete even with the RF-82's, much less, any higher end speaker.

My goal was to find a system for the same amount of money they were going to spend on a soundbar that would far exceed the sound from said soundbar. From what I heard at Best Buy when demoing the soundbar, this system will be a very nice upgrade from their current TV and the soundbar that they initially wanted to pursue.

Love the center comparison. I have lots of other centers on top of my 64. It's really funny. I have some with centers even smaller than the 42. I'll have to dig em up.

Yes, the comparison of my old "center" (= Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000) to the mighty RC6-II makes me smile.

David vs Goliath

The RC64-II is a mighty beast !

CENTERS.JPG

Edited by jvanhambelgium