POWER TOOLS!

tigerwoodKhorns

I am still reluctant to go cordless. Is then 18v and 20v stuff good? I hate having batteries run out or torque go down when you need it. A corded 4A to 6A drill can do wonders.

I love my 18v tools. Keep a battery in the charger while using the other one in the tools. That way I never run out of power.

As for my little 18v impact driver, I put wheels on a PU and planned to tighten with a lug wrench before taking it home. Well I forgot. When I got home I took a lug wrench to them. No need, they were all tight.

Edited by Taz

What do I use the impact for? So many uses. So much time saved. Here are a few examples:

Can install one 8 x 4 ft sheet of 1 1/16" thick 19ply shipping container flooring with a Dewalt 1/2" 18v impact gun on on one charge. This over doing the same job with an electric impact that weights twice as much and have to have a generator/welder running to even use. Installing lug nuts on wheels, installing bigger lag bolts is another good one for this tool.

Dewalt, Ryobi, etc 1/4" drive cordless impact is used for smaller rusted fasteners and screws on outdoor industrial equipment that any other way would take forever. Swapping out torn or missing mudflaps on chassis is one example. Running in bolts on engine parts before torque wrench saves time. If it has more than one or two fasteners I use an impact of some kind. Simply put these guns get the fasteners tighter, quicker, than any other way. It is better than a drill for everything except drill bits.

If I still did a bunch of Auto work I would get the impact. I stopped the car stuff a while ago.

I am thinking about this 1/2" Makita for a strong 1/2 drill that can also be used for mixing thinset:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6302H-2-Inch-Variable-Reversible/dp/B00004YOEM/ref=sr_1_68?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1386564881&sr=1-68

$104 after the holiday discount. Should last a lifetime.

This looks like a nice 3/8" drill to add too, but I would like a keyless chuck. The Makitas with the keyless did not get really good reviews and this one seems indestructible:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6407-8-Inch-Variable-Reversible/product-reviews/B000244WWG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I like Dewalt tools, but the reviews all say that their drills ramp up to speed too quickly. The low speed control is important and I have had good luck with Makita tools.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

I have had good luck with Makita tools.

Same here. Bought this Makita jigsaw last year and it does a great job:http://www.amazon.com/Makita-4350FCT-Top-Handle-L-E-D-Light/dp/B0010X2GLC

Angled cuts or curves are not a problem, even in cross laminated plys of hardwood.

Also have a large Makita belt sander. They make good stuff.

OK, got a question for you. I have a very old B&D jigsaw (1970s or 1980s) that I only use when absolutely necessary. I cannot get a nice smooth cut out of it (circles are not exactly round).

Is the Makita a big improvement? It will be worth it to get a new one if I do not dread using it.

HERE's what you need. It's pricey, but you won't dread using it.

• Moderators

I am still reluctant to go cordless. Is then 18v and 20v stuff good? I hate having batteries run out or torque go down when you need it. A corded 4A to 6A drill can do wonders.

I love my 18v tools. Keep a battery in the charger while using the other one in the tools. That way I never run out of power.

As for my little 18v impact driver, I put wheels on a PU and planned to tighten with a lug wrench before taking it home. Well I forgot. When I got home I took a lug wrench to them. No need, they were all tight.

I love my 18v drill, never tried any higher voltage, it gets used alot, my normal corded drill died and I never replaced it. If it's something really tough I do have one of those old time Break your wrist and arms geared drills at about 20 pounds and dangerous . I was drilling a 1'' hole in a old stump one day and the bit became jammed, almost broke my arm and came to a stop only after it coiled up about 20' of extension cord, it really scared me and I hate to us it now.

I love my 18v drill, never tried any higher voltage, it gets used alot, my normal corded drill died and I never replaced it. If it's something really tough I do have one of those old time Break your wrist and arms geared drills at about 20 pounds and dangerous . I was drilling a 1'' hole in a old stump one day and the bit became jammed, almost broke my arm and came to a stop only after it coiled up about 20' of extension cord, it really scared me and I hate to us it now.

I was cutting a 2" hole through a 1/8" steel bulkhead between some peddles in a car over the summer and like to ripped my fingers off. I self stitched with butterflies, but damn that hurt. I then read the directions on the $35 drill bit which said "WARNING: Use only cordless drill."

dtel, I'm with you. I love my 18V cordless drill. Mine is a Ryobi and I bought an extra battery. It has plenty of power, battery lasts, and most importantly charges very quickly.

Edited by mustang guy

OK, got a question for you. I have a very old B&D jigsaw (1970s or 1980s) that I only use when absolutely necessary. I cannot get a nice smooth cut out of it (circles are not exactly round).

Is the Makita a big improvement? It will be worth it to get a new one if I do not dread using it.

I don't know Black & Decker jigsaws of the 70s-80s, but I can say this Makita makes smooth cuts. It has a four position blade tilt adjustment. At zero it's a straight 90 degrees for a smooth cut. Or rotate/adjust to cut faster for rough cuts.

post-32510-0-57900000-1386743471_thumb.j

Edited by Rivernuggets

I just picked up a dewalt cordless. Seems to have the same build quality as the old corded on that it replaced. I'm sure it's a great saw but I have only made one cut with it so far using a throw away blade that I twisted rushing some holes in the pouring rain. I'm sure it'll be great when I get a chance to run a good blade on some good wood.

Gotta bump this thread. What type of jigsaw, barrel or d handle?

The Makitas have an LED that looks like a nice feature.

Bosch or Makita?

I'm the Makita jigsaw pusher. It's a D handle. The LED is a nice feature.....your shadow doesn't get in the way of seeing your intended cut. It's motor also blows most of the dust away from the blade area. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-4350FCT-Top-Handle-L-E-D-Light/dp/B0010X2GLC

I don't know Black & Decker jigsaws of the 70s-80s, but I can say this Makita makes smooth cuts. It has a four position blade tilt adjustment. At zero it's a straight 90 degrees for a smooth cut. Or rotate/adjust to cut faster for rough cuts.

I am looking at that one and the Makita Barrel handle one.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-4351FCT-Barrel-L-E-D-Light/dp/B0013E4AKI/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1387248929&sr=1-4&keywords=makita+jig+saw

This Bosch one looks good too:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JS470EB-7-Amp-Barrel-Grip-Jigsaw/dp/B004323NQ4/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1387249034&sr=1-4&keywords=bosch+jig+saw

JL,

Amazon also has the same $25 off, free shipping and their prices tend to be lower. They have the same deal on Dewalt.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns