Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

TheEvan, my wife asks where is the electricity and the cell towers? Those do appear to be the most basic accommodations?

No electricity. No roads to speak of either. They live in the bush. But, remarkably, there is signal. Weak, but it works, at least for texting. The Maasai are tight-knit and they love to stay in touch.

So, how to charge the phones? A few enterprising folks have car batteries. They use cell chargers that plug into the car lighter, cut off the plug and put the wires to the battery. They charge a few shillings for an overnight charge. When the battery runs down, they strap it to the back of a bicycle and ride into town (half a day by bike, I imagine) and have it charged. One family has a solar panel and use that for charging and for running their laptop.

The accommodations are basic to say the least, but FAR more pleasant than staying in an African town with "conveniences". Here, I'm among friends, in beautiful nature, seeing things that are wonderful. And the night sky!!!! That part of Tanzania (the Southern Highlands) is one of the least light-polluted spots on Earth.

I can only imagine what a great people/place that is in Kenya? Some wind turbines are small enough to carry in a pack. I wonder how much wind is there throughout the year? Do you visit there often? Fantastic pictures. It must be so enlightening to "hang out" there LOL. Great stuff.

In the summer of 2012 I fulfilled a lifelong dream of going taking a motorcycle trip to Bethel, NY and the Woodstock Museum & concert site.

I took these photos on the way at Woodstock Harley-Davidson in nearby Kingston, NY...

WoodstockTrip023-1.jpg

WoodstockTrip018_zps84cf0167.jpg?t=13942

WoodstockTrip017-1.jpg

WoodstockTrip019.jpg

Edited by Rick
  • Like 2

I caught this double rainbow during the last rain here...

9715084518_f0d4d3bcaf_o.jpg

here is the video...

Schu, that is called a moonbow. There is a spot in Kentucy and 3 or 4 other spots around the world that have them with every full moon. All the spots are near waterfalls.

• Like 3