Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

I thought you were on a building but you must be in the plane ?

I'd like to know more about how you took those closeups too!

If you look at this pic, you can see the inside of the part that holds the canopy, you can see the rivets, I don't know the name for it but there is only one place you can get that pic. Even a great lens from above would not get that pic ?

post-9700-0-28180000-1438560870_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Guest srobak

I thought you were on a building but you must be in the plane ?

Sorry - the first 2 pix a few days ago were from 2004 were from the observation deck of the Hancock.  These are mine.

The last 3 pix were from the WSO seat on #7 in 2014 during media flights.  Those are not mine - but I knew you guys would appreciate them. :)

Edited by srobak
  • Like 2

Guest srobak

here are a few shots I got from the lightning tonight. This is about 6 miles north of O'Hare

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

And here are some videos.... damn thing looked like a dance club. Not one bit of thunder though. Was very eerie...

• Like 4

Guest Steven1963

That's usually the way it goes. I can take hundreds of shots and end up with a couple dozen keepers. At least we aren't facing the cost of film development with that ratio.

• Like 2

Some shots from my trip to Ecuador 2 weeks back. Took 3241 shots in RAW, ended up with 214 that I liked  :blink:

NIce trip that will leave a great impression. My plan it to go a bit further south & hit Peru & Bolivia... Machu Picchu; Puma Punku; Amaru Muru. 3200 shots in RAW? Excellent. What size memory card(s) did you use for 3200 RAW shots? RAW offers a great deal of flexibility with preprocessing prior to coinverting. 

Literally used 1 32GB CF card, and had 900 shots left. I've only got a Canon 20D to work with, so 8.2MP pix don't take up the space that my forthcoming (in my mind...we'll see if the wife agrees :D ) 7D MK3 does :D :D :D

The problem with the 20D is its autofocus scheme. These days, it's just outdated, nowhere near quick enough, and can't maintain the focus even under servo mode if you do a burst (which of course, to catch a bird in flight, you do).

I was shooting everything handheld with no IS lenses, but the good thing about being on the equator is light! I could shoot easily at 1/1000 and not have to drop below f/4.0 unless I needed to. I in fact had to put a 3 stop neutral density filter on my 70-200 because everything was just getting so bloody overexposed on sunny days. All of those minus the B&W of the Galapagos cotton flower were shot with said lens and ND3 filter.

Edited by DaveWJr
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

so 8.2MP pix don't take up the space that my forthcoming (in my mind...we'll see if the wife agrees ) 7D MK3 does

Heh. I might even consider selling my camera for 7dmiii. I think that's going to be an amazing camera.

That's right, I have a 5D MkIII and a 7D.

As you previously suggested, the 5D MkIII is in a single word "Awesome".

My 7D is a great camera too so I suspect the MKIII version of it is even better.

But that 5D MkIII, oh man.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

• Moderators
The last 3 pix were from the WSO seat on #7 in 2014 during media flights. Those are not mine - but I knew you guys would appreciate them.

Well that explains it, I thought you were in the plane, I was going to be hating you. :P

The last 3 pix were from the WSO seat on #7 in 2014 during media flights. Those are not mine - but I knew you guys would appreciate them.

Well that explains it, I thought you were in the plane, I was going to be hating you. :P

I was ready to delete all of my pictures, throw away the little pocket Cannon and start researching the camera big leagues.  :wacko:  Note to self, I seem to remember a couple of good threads discussing cameras. :emotion-55:

Here are a few more from that old SD card.  This time a few shots from a quick trip to our Bermuda office.

_ Bermuda 01.jpg

_ Bermuda 02.jpg

_ Bermuda 03.jpg

post-36163-0-78380000-1438629128_thumb.j

post-36163-0-06260000-1438629140_thumb.j

post-36163-0-85620000-1438629151_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 3