Dress like an audiophile?

I dunno...but my interpretation of what an audiophile looks like must be way outta line!! I am laughing so hard at Klipsch's home page offerings of its clothing stuff...that I am almost in tears!!

Is it mandatory that an audiophile look like a chubby "Stone Cold" Steve Austin look-alike with glasses? I certainly hope not!! Smile.gif

I kinda prefer the tweed with a nice briar pipe look myself!! LOL!

Or...at least someone like me who does just fine with a full beard and NO SHAVED HEAD...and who prefers a comfy set of bib overalls to "loose fit" jeans.

But, what the heck do I know about how an "audiophile" should look, anyway? Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly to say, I can barely venture into the Klipsch website without a groan. Thankfully, I have not witnessed this "clothes for the Audio Lad" area... hell, the little Promedia animation at the top of this page is bad enough (I sample all the forums in their own window and not within the frame of the main site. Save them this way via a bookmark. Faster as well).

As for the dress of the average audio freak, this is a horrifying vision. Cotton appears to be an alien fabric and pointy collar shirts are the norm. Polyester is thy friend!

Of course, I will catch hell from this, but I think the sense of aethetics of the average forum participant (ALL FORUMS...not just Klipsch) is slightly below something exhibited by a room full of monkeys with blindfolds hopped up on Ibogaine.

Homes are filled with shag carpeting of green, brown, or worse, dark panel walls, trinkets and nic nacs every where, figurines on speakers, storebought deco-art hung too high, overstuffed furniture, lazeboy galore, white leather couches, Rhodes furniture that is heavy and LARGE etc etc. IT is a feast for the blind.

Alas, hell will rain down on me for the above two paragraphs. I surely dont like style over substance... But if I see one more "the wife made me do it" stereotype...lord.

Dont be too hard on me; I havent had my coffee. Of course, what do I know; I still have this ugly blue carpeting...heh.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-09-2002 at 08:11 AM

Mr. builder,

I think it is--no, I think it MUST be--a subtle joke, because Klipsch owners, like PWK himself, think of ourselves as music lovers, not audiophiles.

The subtle part of the joke is that every shirt comes with an integral f*oreskin that slowly creeps up over the collar when the audiophile wearer starts talking about his system with his nose up in the air instead of keeping quiet and listening to the music. That's why the shirts come in white, black, and tan. "What sizes?" you ask. Size doesn't matter.

audiophile_medium.jpg

A must have for all hi-fi fans. George is staying cool in this 100% white cotton tee shirt just in time for those hot summer months. The KLIPSCH logo appears on the front chest in smoky gray. The backside of the shirt is covered by an awesome AUDIOPHILE logo, inspired by hard-core fans just like you.

Jesus.... Unfortunately, this IS serious...Frightening. Sadly, some freaks will actually purchase this shirt...or the matching THX Cap! Or how about the Silky long sleeve shirt? OR better yet, the BLACK DENIM!

Why did point the way to this horror, Andy???

kh

Kelly you are a riot. Wonderful descriptions (mental note to move the figurines from the top of the speakers).

As for the dress sense of your typical audiophile I would say that in general (judging by my new found friends in the Audiophile club of Athens) clothing aesthetics are not a major cause for concern.

Most seem to dress to fit into the environment rather than make some kind of personal statement. Jeans or beige trousers are de-rigeur although you dont see as much corderoy as you used to.

None seem to wear T-shirts or other items advertizing their favorite high end stuff (as yet) so that is probably a good thing.

Cant say I am filled with an over-riding urge to get Klipsch labelled tops, nor, for that matter Armani labelled items but that is me.

Fashion is generally something I leave to her ladyship - I am clueless.

One thing Kelly - you will be pleased to know I do not own any polyester. Not a fashion thing - just makes you sweat like a pig in summer in Greece.

And finally a discovery channel factoid - pigs dont sweat apparently - Gorillas do - in buckets but not pigs - wonder where the phrase came from.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Mobile- I'm a little unclear. I thought you despised the K-wear. Now, here you are rushing to get a t-shirt and posting a photo of yourself. Would you please make up your mind? Jeeze, are we supposed to like this stuff or not....

fini

Hey Mr. Mobile!

I have always loved Rhode's furniture. I think Gilbert Rhode's designs for Herman Miller in the 1930's are every bit as exciting and fresh today as they were then. I actually find Rhode's designs far more livable that the George Nelson era products that followed. But that's just me. Lost in the 1930's.

My house is beautifully decorated and my wife had (almost) nothin' to do with it. I'm probably the only guy here who knows his Heppelwhite from his Chippendale and his Bertoia from his Platner, his Nelson from his Eames and his Regency from his Louis XVI. What do think? Who here knows damask from moire?

And I an NOT gay (even though I watch HGTV)!

Thanks, mobile, for the belly laugh, bordering on a guffaw! I know that your description doesn't apply to ANY of us Wink.gif but I'm sure it is spot on for the participants in those OTHER forums you speak of Smile.gif.

Funny thing is my wife is more of a no-stuff-on-the-speakers fanatic than am I. I had set a couple of albums on top of one for a couple days while I was reorganizing, and she promptly scolded me! (God, I love her!)

My instinctive reaction to that picture on the home page was like Hardhead's -- what a great, not-so-subtle joke.

Cluless - You poseur, you. Your true identity is revealed: (posted by Maxg: "Fashion is generally something I leave to her ladyship - I am clueless.")

I am the walrus (do they sweat?).

Doug

------------------

My System

LOL -I am the eggman. err, egg-girl. Nope there is only one me (err I mean 2), and I think that maxg is is looking for you and he doesn't look happy.

clu - less

Glad to see your are hearing better. (now isn't that a strange sentence - oh well)

Hey Allan,

You seem a little defensive there dude. While reading your post the thought never occured to me that you might be gay. Smile.gif

BTW, I haven't an inkling of what ANY of those things you mentioned are. I do all my shopping at WalMart - might I have seen any of those things you mentioned?

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Interesting references, Allan. Unfortunately, there is a huge descrepency between "Rhodes Furniture," a cheesy, Americana furniture barn that caters to ranch home furnishings ala a bad Roseanne episode, and Gilbert Rohde, a rather more mod for the time style that seems to be coming back into vogue. I will have to admit, it's not my cup of tea either but I do appreciate it.

The Saarinen stuff seems to be coming back into style as well, although I guess you might say it never left. I currently live in a beach apartment so small, it really needs some of this early future style that is almost "mod" now ie Bertoia chairs which are now seen in catalogs with Martha Stewart color earth tones surrounding models with bowl cuts and small Seattle Slew glasses. Nothing like some Eisenhower era furnishings to fill up the mod kitty.

Interesting thread starting off from 100% mediocrity. I personally am in need of the THX cap, on General Principles.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-09-2002 at 04:16 PM

Another reason to hate BOSE: They ripped off Saarinen for the base of the 901!

"Mid Century" furniture has really become mainstream "cool" again after a few years of bubbling just under the surface. I wonder if it had anything to do with a certain "audiophile" equipment reviewer who sat his *** in a Paulin Ribbon Chair when listening to all that mega-expensive hi-fi gear?

Nah

Scull was so proud of that damn Ribbon chair he plastered it in a full layout of his infamous listening room. As I remember, he couldnt resist a reference to it at least once a review. Poor Bastard. That magazine is so horribly out of touch now it barely knows what side of the magazine rack to squat in. At least in the old days, it had a certain charm. It has grown progressively worse since the 80s to where it has become a full fledged consumer affair akin to the audio version of People Magazine with mainstream hi-end in place of bad movie stars.

They did do a review of the Wavelength Gemini 2A3/45 Monoblocks but Robert Deutsch spent half the article trying to figure out why his system hummed like a pixie at a clam bake, this after obsessing over the hum pot not aligning with the cutout. RAnkin hand builds each of these amps and was sweating bullets while Deutsch decided if they rocked his little World with the 45 tube at 2w on his shiny Avantgarde Unos. I wouldnt have handed that guy the keys to my beater if he was a valet!

Regardless, I doubt many of the Stereophile set even knew what that chair was much less sought one out. That magazine should be put out of its misery.

kh

I once walked into Tweeter Home Entertainment wearing a Klipsch shirt, KLipsch polo shirt with my klipsch logo tie pin pinned on it and had my Klipsch copper pen on hand. I knew the guy that worked there, we had fun with it Wink.gif

Look at PWK, I would dare to say he was an Audiophile Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>