Low voltage at an outlet

ryanm84

I'm renting an older home. I have a treadmill that doesn't hold speed and is out of calibration. When I call the company my error message indicates a possible power problem.

Out comes the multimeter checking the offending outlet but then multiple outlets around the house. I never get a reading over 90. In fact most are in the upper 70s and mid 80s and fluctuate quite wildly.

I don't think I'm working the meter wrong but I guess I could be.

It's not my house so I'm inclined to do nothing to fix the situation. However, I'm worried about the performance of my electronics whether its the treadmill, stereo, or plasma Tvs.

Is there some safety concern I'm overlooking here? Either damage to my components or threat of a short or fire or anything like that?

The first thing i would check is voltage at the main panel, if the main panel shows low voltage it may be a problem with the electric transformers or issues on the electric company's side of things.

If you're not sure about it i would hire an electrician.

Is the house wired with aluminum wire ? If so it could be loose contacts.

Around here some suburbs use aluminum wire.

I have seen many loose contacts with homes wired with aluminum wire. Fires & smoking outlets included.

Sometimes electricians use the push through slots in the socket that lose contact over time, you may need to replace the socket and use the screw contacts if this is the case.

No gfi being tripped or breakers tripping.

The house was apparently renovated in the medium past - outlets that I'm looking at are copper wire (Romex). All that I've checked are wires twisted around the side screws like I've always done.

I haven't checked the panel. Can I use my multi meter there to check the incoming voltage?

I wonder if they haven't taken the panel to its max. I'm going to see if there are any slots left and how many circuits they have for lights/outlets.

You can call the power company if you have low voltage on a leg. I think utilities will repair if you are low by 10% or something like that. If you don't know what you are doing, do not remove the panel on the breaker box to check voltage. At most, check voltage in different outlets to confirm low power in more than one place. I had voltages in the 106VAC region, and the power company came out and did something to the transformer outside. They may have replaced it, I don't really know.

If its a really old panel it could be maxed out. Does it have the screw in style fuses ?

Newer panels are usually 100 amp, it would be really hard to max out a 100 amp panel.

You can use your meter to check the oncoming voltage but like mentioned before if you don't know what you're doing have an electrician do it. It can and will kill if you touch the wrong thing.

Copper wire is a good thing, at least you're one step ahead with that.

Good advice on the screw connection, I didn't think of that even though I have had to go back and re-do every outlet in every house that I have owned to get a good tight connection. Never use the push in connection, they loosen up very often.

Newer panels are usually 100 amp, it would be really hard to max out a 100 amp panel.

Must be different in colder climates. In hot climates you want at least 200 amps of service if not 400 if you plan on adding any equipment (shop, pool, etc.).

No gfi being tripped or breakers tripping.

The house was apparently renovated in the medium past - outlets that I'm looking at are copper wire (Romex). All that I've checked are wires twisted around the side screws like I've always done.

I haven't checked the panel. Can I use my multi meter there to check the incoming voltage?

I wonder if they haven't taken the panel to its max. I'm going to see if there are any slots left and how many circuits they have for lights/outlets.

Could still be aluminum from the pole to the panel.

Also, panel size can have little to do with actual service.

Good luck.

Damage is what I'm concerned about. The treadmill is under warranty and they will replace components for another 6 years but that makes the unit unuseable and somewhat dangerous as the speed varies while you're on it. None of my other electronics are under warranty and I'm not really keen on damage to them.

Low voltage can be a sign of an improper neutral (white wire) connection. Either loose or mis-wiring in the main box or an outlet. Please have this check by a someone who has experience troubleshooting this type of thing. I see you are renting, let the land lord know as soon as you can. Yes, there is a chance this could cause a fire and / or damage your electronic devices.

Brian

Contact you local power company as so as possible. If all of your outlets are reading a +/- 10% of the nominal secondary voltage (typically 120 volts) so anything below 116 is an issue and possibly a bad/overloaded transformer feeding the building. If some outlets are reading low 90 to 116 volts or so and others are reading high 130 volts or higher you have a bad neutral connection somewhere which could be before your meter on the power company wiring/connections or in the main breaker panel. Based on your comments both issues could be occurring. Most power customer service centers are 24 hour operations. Call and if you get a computer VMR ask for a representative multiple time this will typically get you to a live person....good luck and turn off all of your electronic and valve gear.

When using a multimeter for measuring line voltage, always check a known "good" source first to confirm whether the meter is indicating as it should, then measure the circuit in question.

That, or confirm by using two meters to compare measurements.

Excellent advice about verifying the accuracy of your meter. That said, I've encountered problems where the leads from the meter to the entrance panel (typically aluminum) were not properly tightened, or not treated with a product like Noalox. The latter situation can cause a high resistance connection which can not only decrease the voltage to the home, but also can result in a fire hazard due to possible heating effects. The power company will certainly come out at no charge to verify that the voltage to the meter is within spec. If it isn't, it's their job to repair things at no charge. If the voltage is correct, then you (or the landlord) will need an electrician to come in and do the repair. Don't attempt to do this yourself as one mistake can do you in!

Maynard

• Like 1

Call the land owner first.

Lots of good advice. If you are comfortable opening the breaker box I would check incoming voltage. There will be 3 wires coming in, set multimeter for 220 or above and check across all legs. should get approx 120v, 120v, & 240v. If you are in anyway unsure about how to do this. Get a Pro whether it is the power company or an electrician.

Being a land owner I know I would appreciate a call from any of the tenants of either of the rentals if anything was amiss. We have a preferred electrical company that we use, and preferred plumbing companies.

I don't know anyone that has rentals that would not appreciate a call if there was a problem. The sooner the better for me.

John

I contacted the landlord last night. He doesn't believe it's a problem with the wiring. He makes a good point about the appliances and other items plugged in probably wouldn't work with such low voltage. That said I'm going to swap out my volt meter and check again. I don't want to get a ball rolling if its my test equipment that is mis-reading values.

for the record Most residential home transformers are set for 125 volts per leg. 250 across the legs. Code allows a drop of 5% to the meter. Also code allows another 5% from there to the outlets. typically 115 to 125 volts is common in US residential. A bad nuetral will cause more havoc than most people can imagine. for what its worth, here in Indiana you may be supprised at how many homes are overloading a 100 amp panel. Most outdoor service lines are Aluminum. Connections are made via clamps, but when the weather gets cold fast they can "suck out" causing more trouble, So we have to make sure of solid connections when we hook up the over head lines. and I doubt at 70 to 90 volts that very many home appliances would function. Check again with another meter. Or better yet call an Electrician.

JIW, IBEW 305 Electrician

Edited by steve sells

Check the voltage at someone else's house with your meter. Are the readings good or the same? If the same your meter is bad or has a low battery. If the reading is good you have a definite problem at the house you are renting. Check the voltage on the bus bars in the panel. This is not difficult but is dangerous. Keep your wits about you. Use the meter test leads to do any probing, KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THERE. All the white wires should be going to one of the bus bars, this is "neutral". The circuit breakers should be branching off the other two bus bars, the "hots". You should read approx 115V from either "hot" to the "neutral". There should also be "ground" bus in the panel. This is where the bare copper wires are attached. You should read close to 0 volts between this "ground" and "neutral".

If any of this is confusing or makes you uncomfortable to try perhaps as others have suggested the landlord needs to call an electrician.