What direction is Klipsch going in?

prerich

True, buying new Klipsch gear is the best way to support the company, but buying used gear keeps new gear's resale value high and raises the perceived value of that new gear, thus providing an indirect benefit to the company. I paid more for my La Scalas when they were thirty-two years old than they cost when they were new.

As well, buying used has allowed audio fans with limited budgets to assemble impressive systems they couldn't otherwise afford, systems that give many friends of those fans a greater exposure to Klipsch products, so hopefully they will buy Klipsch in the future.

How many Klipsch buyers say "Once I heard my friend's amazing Klipsch speakers, I knew I had to get a pair for myself!" Word of mouth based on personal experience is the best kind of advertising.

See, I managed to fit Klipsch into this post no less than six times. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I get it with these new products, gotta make a living somehow. As much as anyone would love to own a brand new pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns, not everyone has the $7,000-$9,000 to drop on a new pair, plus the hardware to run them. :D

BTW, when I sold my second pair of Khorns (long stroy), I demonstrated them with a Sonic Impact CHIP amp, that cost me $26 plus a Radio shack wall wart, so, about $40 total, with a $39 DVD player that plays CD's (they all do).

A Klipsch Engineer tested that amp for me on their laboratory gear and it was super clean up to about 6 Watts/channel. If Paul had lived long enough to see this piece of plastic that fits in the palm of your hand AND can run on 8 AA batteries, he would have approved. Why? Because he always said that the world needed a good 5 Watt amplifier and this certainly fit the bill.

So the "plus the hardware to run them" is not true. You can drive Khorns to an impressive sound level with anything. You can get used receivers for less than $50 most anywhere. I once demonstrated my Khorns with the headphone output of my Sony Walkman, which put out a whopping 20 Milliwatts. You could not get to ear bleed levels with that, BUT is sounded amazingly good at what most people would consider "normal" volume levels.

Khorns are the easiest speaker in the world to drive.

I have no doubt of that. But people usually drive there K-horns, rf-7 IIs, etc. with a little more elaborate power sources than the $50 one you speak of =)

I get it with these new products, gotta make a living somehow. As much as anyone would love to own a brand new pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns, not everyone has the $7,000-$9,000 to drop on a new pair, plus the hardware to run them. :D

BTW, when I sold my second pair of Khorns (long stroy), I demonstrated them with a Sonic Impact CHIP amp, that cost me $26 plus a Radio shack wall wart, so, about $40 total, with a $39 DVD player that plays CD's (they all do).

A Klipsch Engineer tested that amp for me on their laboratory gear and it was super clean up to about 6 Watts/channel. If Paul had lived long enough to see this piece of plastic that fits in the palm of your hand AND can run on 8 AA batteries, he would have approved. Why? Because he always said that the world needed a good 5 Watt amplifier and this certainly fit the bill.

So the "plus the hardware to run them" is not true. You can drive Khorns to an impressive sound level with anything. You can get used receivers for less than $50 most anywhere. I once demonstrated my Khorns with the headphone output of my Sony Walkman, which put out a whopping 20 Milliwatts. You could not get to ear bleed levels with that, BUT is sounded amazingly good at what most people would consider "normal" volume levels.

I have no doubt of that. But people usually drive there K-horns, rf-7 IIs, etc. with a little more elaborate power sources than the $50 one you speak of =)

An unnecessary CHOICE for perceived higher quality. It's common on the new and used markets because the lemmings have been led to believe it is necessary by the lay press/magazine/internet ads/reviews that you need more, since very few people understand what it means when speaker is 20 db more efficient that what is "typical" for non-Klipsch speakers. With Khorns, Belles, or LaScalas you need about 50-100 times LESS power than anyone else, which is hard for 99.9% of the brains out there to wrap themselves around that FACT.

This had been a subject of frustration on the part of PWK, especially when power got real cheap in the 70's. He always said "35 watts is a helluva lot of power." He also referred to 100 Watt amplifiers as "stoves." BUT, he ended up with a BGW 100 in his own system simply because the world, at that time, never did make a good 5 Watt amplifier, but now we have Cheap Chip Amps that run on 12 Volts and Single Ended Tube freaks to fill that bill quite nicely at both ends of the price spectrum.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Great to know the company will be around and producing its better speakers, or at least it sounds that way. Just as an aside, and while I support the idea of buying new stuff, I'd be more inclined to buy new and spend that kind of money if Klipsch did a better job of placing higher end products with audio dealers so we could see and hear them close up. And, no, I don't mean the stuff you see at Best Buy. I realize the brick and mortar stores are fading away, but I need hands-on involvement with a pricey item before I make the leap.

An unnecessary CHOICE for perceived higher quality. It's common on the new and used markets because the lemmings have been led to believe it is necessary by the lay press/magazine/internet ads/reviews that you need more, since very few people understand what it means when speaker is 20 db more efficient that what is "typical" for non-Klipsch speakers. With Khorns, Belles, or LaScalas you need about 50-100 times LESS power than anyone else, which is hard for 99.9% of the brains out there to wrap themselves around that FACT.

This had been a subject of frustration on the part of PWK, especially when power got real cheap in the 70's. He always said "35 watts is a helluva lot of power." He also referred to 100 Watt amplifiers as "stoves." BUT, he ended up with a BGW 100 in his own system simply because the world, at that time, never did make a good 5 Watt amplifier, but now we have Cheap Chip Amps that run on 12 Volts and Single Ended Tube freaks to fill that bill quite nicely at both ends of the price spectrum.

Okay claude, sounds good.