Will RF-7's match with RC-3II

mlb585

My buddy is getting rid of his RF-7's and I will have first dibs on them if I want them. I currently run RF-3II with RC-3II Center and I wasn't sure if the RF-7 will match properly with my current RC-3. I was figuring that since they are from the same klipsch reference family that they would timbre match, but I wasn't sure if the difference in tweeter/horn size as well as woofer difference would not make them an ideal match. Any thoughts on this setup? Any help is really appreciated! Thanks =)

• Moderators

If you have a chance to pick up the RF-7 for a good price I would definitely do that but the RC-3 will not be up to keep up with them. I've heard the RC-3 with the RF-82's and it could not keep up with them either and the RF-7's are a much more capable speaker than the RF-82's.

Edited by Youthman

Thanks for your welcoming! My friend is asking $1000 - he knows what they're worth otherwise he'd probably just ask me for a couple hundred dollars. Always wanted the RF-7's but wasn't sure if my current center would do the trick. I'd go with the RC-7 or even the RC-64 but it's too big for my center channel location (too heavy too). See my attached pic and you'll know what I mean. What do you think of the RF-7's withe the RC-3?

post-57913-0-10060000-1390326323_thumb.j

If you already have the RC 3, try it a see what you think. I ran a VC 25 Icon V speaker for a while until I got my RC 64. The only thing about the RC 64 is that it is a very large center. The RC 7 is the matching speaker for the RF 7's. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your evolving system, best of luck!

• Moderators

As mentioned, it doesn't hurt to give the RC-3 a try. I just don't think you will be satisfied with it. My friend had RF-3ii and RC-3ii and IMO, the weak link was the RC-3ii. It just isn't as clear and precise as the RC-7 or the RC-64. Would you be able to put the RC-7 on top of the entertainment center and angle it downwards? Maybe you have enough height to put the RC-64 where the RC-3ii is?

Thanks everyone for all the input...i think i'll try to see how it is with the RC-3...but...I think i'm now getting that upgrade bug!...Seeing as how the RC-7 won't work (too tall), I'm trying to think now how I can get the RC-64II to work with my setup. I took a close up of where my RC-3 is residing...I actually looked at my entertainment cabinet and realized that I can actually move the vertical supports (on either side of the RC-3) further out and re-screw them to the top and bottom shelving to accommodate the width of the RC-64. The problem is the weight as i'd be adding 22 pounds to that center section. The center section is already ever so 'slightly' bowing from the RC-3 weight...so, i'd have to figure out a way to support it from the back wall or further brace it to the main sections of the cabinet (right and left side). I just have to figure out the best way of doing this. Does this sound doable or am I crazy? I REALLY want the RC-64 to work now...post-57913-0-07820000-1390360189_thumb.j

Edited by mlb585

• Moderators

$1000 for RF-7's might not be a "good deal" but still worth it IMO. I sold my mint Cherry RF-7 with boxes for $1000 but only paid $400 for my son's near mint RF-7's without boxes. $800 is a pretty average price for RF-7's but if you are patient, you can definitely find them for less. Maybe you can get him to give you the "friend discount". :D

I'm pretty sure my bud wants $1000 for them. Just not sure now if I can swing that plus the rc-64 or rc-7 (whichever I can get to brace/fit in my unit). But, I see this purchase as one of my last speaker upgrades for quite a while...at least I have to tell myself that.