Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

That should do it.  The old rule of thumb was one ton per 600-900 square ft.  Current thinking is to undersize a bit to keep from cycling too much.  Is it going to be a music room?

The mini split is an inverter type and will cut way back when needed.  I can even run it as a dehumidifier.   It's not either on or off like a conventional unit.

• Like 3

I've moved a lot of stuff to my other house but kept a lot of things here that I either use in the yard or will need for this project.  It seems I spend more time moving things around than I do working.  I hate the disarray but it will be worth it in the end.

20181201_133237.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I settled on a one ton unit but with the spray in insulation I could have probably gotten away with a three quarter ton.  

Smart, the sun is a killer in the summer and you can't overdo insulation, electricity is never going to go down in price. 

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The mini split is an inverter type and will cut way back when needed.  I can even run it as a dehumidifier.   It's not either on or off like a conventional unit.

Even if you just left it set to 80 in the summer when not used that would remove the humidity and with everything your doing would take no time to cool off for it to be used.

43 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Lighting will be 4 and 8 ft led fixtures.

Just started looking at those as the standard T-8 fluorescent ballast are dying in the wife's workshop, got somewhat overwhelmed looking and gave up for now. But it does seem you just retrofit a normal fixture for led by taking out the ballast from the circuit. I need to look more for prices, there all 4', 8 total, but I plan to just replace as they go out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!  Increasing the wall depth is a great idea , something we don't worry about too much up here.  Gonna work out very nicely!

It was 84 out there today.   In the summer its routinely 106 to 108 in there with plenty of humidity.  The reason I took the ceiling down was because the paint was falling off the sheetrock.   It's been so humid for so long it's just releasing.  No way anything would stick to it now.  The ceiling and the walls will be painted OSB.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dtel said:

Smart, the sun is a killer in the summer and you can't overdo insulation, electricity is never going to go down in price. 

Even if you just left it set to 80 in the summer when not used that would remove the humidity and with everything your doing would take no time to cool off for it to be used.

Just started looking at those as the standard T-8 fluorescent ballast are dying in the wife's workshop, got somewhat overwhelmed looking and gave up for now. But it does seem you just retrofit a normal fixture for led by taking out the ballast from the circuit. I need to look more for prices, there all 4', 8 total, but I plan to just replace as they go out.

The underside of the roof will have 5 1/2" of spray foam and 5" on 2 of the walls.  The rest will be 3 1/2". It shouldn't take much to heat or cool it.  

Check out 1000bulbs.Com for lighting.  They have pretty good prices. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The ceiling and the walls will be painted OSB.

Done plenty of that, much stronger than sheetrock especially since I suck at floating. But was able to float the OSB and cover it so the grain wouldn't show through the paint.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Check out 1000bulbs.Com for lighting.  They have pretty good prices. 

I will thanks. 

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Grew up playing on sleds, tobbogans and saucers. 

I have to say it is fun, but walking back up sucks, to bad that old garage opener can't reach 150'.  :o Maby to lower a 150" screen :lol:

At first look I thought it was a sled also, and I had my glasses on. :wacko2:

• Like 1