Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
I will discuss it with him. Thanks for your observations!

Better talk with him, as Minermark said you will have a really big mess if he tries that. That would be like oiling a painted black speaker :o it's crazy.

He did the 2 coats of deck paint yesterday. We will watch for beading during and after rain that is forecasted as was mentioned by *mach-1.

Thanks

Good deal, just remember even Thomsons stops beading up after a while, but it's still working. I would think the 2 coats of deck paint will take care of it for a good while, you will probably see when it needs more as it will just look like it could use a new coat, next year some time at the earliest, you did good.

• Like 2

• Moderators
This reminds me of my first job, still in High School. Ford 1500 tractor with 15 ft flail mower, pulling two outboard 6 ft flail mowers. They hadn't invented ear protection. It took three days per week to mow the Danbury Municipal Airport, Danbury, CT

That's a big mower, mine is only 6' but I do cut our grass 5.75 acres minus the ponds and my sisters 3 acres. You were cutting an airport :o Ever had to watch out for airplanes taking off or landing, or did they had to watch out for you ?

• Like 1

First cup of Joe, to be followed by a few more. looking at Tornado season am I ? well like I was telling the wife, you know babe the only way im going to be safe is to make sure that van is weighted down pretty good, she just said "like you need an excuse for more speakers", we will probably end up owning a trailer by the time I get back........and im on for the 10th in DC, so I better strart getting my chit together.........

Yes i tend to agree lol you are gonna need a trailer lol sounding like yer gonna need some shipping and hire a team to unload and store everything til you get you new audio store(what are you trying to do lol?) up and running lol

• Like 2

Better talk with him, as Minermark said you will have a really big mess if he tries that. That would be like oiling a painted black speaker :o it's crazy.

He did the 2 coats of deck paint yesterday. We will watch for beading during and after rain that is forecasted as was mentioned by *mach-1.

Thanks

Good deal, just remember even Thomsons stops beading up after a while, but it's still working. I would think the 2 coats of deck paint will take care of it for a good while, you will probably see when it needs more as it will just look like it could use a new coat, next year some time at the earliest, you did good.

minermark as well was saying.

Alright, going to wait and sounds like a plan. Painting is a breeze anyway so, makes sense. Pressure treated should count for something too. It was heavy to move and work with. A couple of screws after this rain help rest and warp into place should be secure. We put some Liquid Nails on the bottom before laying so, not wanting to scrimp on materials.

Hope so!

• Like 3

Thanks

minermark as well was saying.

Alright, going to wait and sounds like a plan. Painting is a breeze anyway so, makes sense. Pressure treated should count for something too. It was heavy to move and work with. A couple of screws after this rain help rest and warp into place should be secure. We put some Liquid Nails on the bottom before laying so, not wanting to scrimp on materials.

Hope so!

Thompsons ONLY on Raw wood !!!, if it's already painted, even stripping it will do nothing, the solvents form the paint are already soaked into the wood.

The only way to water proof a deck is when it's "New", soak the chit out of it with Thompsons, then do whatever you want for the next 10 years.

A built, painted deck could be stripped and if one is willing to do that then, two part epoxy coating will buy you 3 to 5 years.

Im the last one to be the barer of bad news but if its already painted, your only hope is to keep painting it until your sick of looking at it, then if your supports are good and can hold the weight, redeck over the old one, and this time USE THOMPSONS from the get go.........

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Paint is really just for looks since you built with treated wood to start, (smart move) you really didn't need to do anything else for the woods sake at least.

If NOT ground contact most PT wood is expected to last 20+ years by itself. Ground contact should be treated to .40 or better, if I remember correct regular treated wood is .28.

• Like 2

Yes no way was I going to not use PT wood. We applied plywood over existing wood deck surface of wood, which I had ten years ago pressure washed and applied Thompsons. My idea to cover existing deck. My friend did not buck that idea and really, it worked out rather well considering. He will be back after the rain next week and do touchups as needed. Yes, a coat of paint now when needed will be the way. Did find some marine poly with silica in it for ant-skid online but, tried it after the rain and it was not slippery.

No poly needed here, thanks guys...

Now Nan has a place to soak up a little sunshine with her friends, and retreat to the outside when I turn up the music,lol.

I will use it for shade and coffee! B)

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Pojected 91 here today, good thing, Mancave stocked with Coronas, must get some Guinness today, maybe on my morning Ebay shipping run.

The happy campers today will include Beeker, eth2, dtel.

Beek and I were chatting, and it seems he "was" looking for a center channel of some sort and an old heresy , I just happen to have (One).

eth2, and dtel, well you boys went for boosting the enrichment of your coffee, so it shall be.

To all Receivers, enjoy, looks like Al Gore's little invention pays off once in a wile eh? :smile::emotion-44::smile:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

LOL, BTW, friend working on the deck last Saturday came in and read your postings about the topcoat and was amazed at the help that was being expressed. He said it made good sense to him and I told him, we are helpful in all fields of inquiry and endeavor. He got a real hoot out of the forum. :)

LOL, BTW, friend working on the deck last Saturday came in and read your postings about the topcoat and was amazed at the help that was being expressed. He said it made good sense to him and I told him, we are helpful in all fields of inquiry and endeavor. He got a real hoot out of the forum. :)

Perfect time to introduce him/audition your Klipsch for him, then the Trap is set for the Borg to drag him into this collective......

• Like 3

Perfect time to introduce him/audition your Klipsch for him, then the Trap is set for the Borg to drag him into this collective......

LOL, Yes he has been over before just to listen to music. Right now the 5.5's but he has heard KG 4's and RF-3's here also.

Next time he comes, I will introduce him to Chorus. Offered him a set a couple of years ago...resistance is futile.

• Like 2