Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

All toll i believe i have well over 10,000 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors, left over from my repair days.

:o

I been Hording some very select items over the years, started back around the age of 10 building radios/Ham hobby.

I used to ask my dad to bring home a couple much needed resistors when he came home from work, he knew if he did not id likely find something in the house to get them from.

One day we are in a Ham store, dad saw the cabinet boxs full of every (small resistor class) he ask the where he got them.

I had a good xmas that year, he bought me the 1/2 watt cabinet, ever since then when i had the need, i just bought the whole dam cabinet, my repairs paid for them.

So if anyone ever needs one or some let me know.

post-57941-0-25580000-1418492910_thumb.j

post-57941-0-40980000-1418492921_thumb.j

• Like 5

TNR, you might take this opportunity to turn the receptacle to proper orientation too. 

Good morning...well actually afternoon here.

Yes, I did...up & down with ground on bottom...finished the new outlet around 11:00 last night.  Only major mishap was knocking my vodka & tonic over while stripping romex on the couch.  Then I needed to kickback and relax, so was up late.  Actually just finished biscuits & gravy and my 3rd cup of coffee.

Now the vanity top and faucet & drain.  Conflicting info out there on silicon or plumbers putty.  Was going to use plumbers putty on the top side of the drain, but after reading the container it says don't use on plastic.  It appears to be plastic with the rubber gasket on the bottom side.  I don't recall using anything on the drain on the basement remodel I did 4 years ago.  Was just going to use a little white pipe tape on the supply side threads.  Do you experts concur?

• Like 2

• Moderators
tnr, on 13 Dec 2014 - 1:15 PM, said:

JL Sargent, on 13 Dec 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

TNR, you might take this opportunity to turn the receptacle to proper orientation too. 

Good morning...well actually afternoon here.

Yes, I did...up & down with ground on bottom...finished the new outlet around 11:00 last night.  Only major mishap was knocking my vodka & tonic over while stripping romex on the couch.  

Not acceptable, better not ever hear of an accident like that again ! ........going to let you slide this time only because it was gin. :mellow2:       

Then I needed to kickback and relax, so was up late.  Actually just finished biscuits & gravy and my 3rd cup of coffee.

Now the vanity top and faucet & drain.  Conflicting info out there on silicon or plumbers putty.  Was going to use plumbers putty on the top side of the drain, but after reading the container it says don't use on plastic.  It appears to be plastic with the rubber gasket on the bottom side.  I don't recall using anything on the drain on the basement remodel I did 4 years ago.  Was just going to use a little white pipe tape on the supply side threads.  Do you experts concur?

I always use plumbers putty but to be honest I probably did not read the directions :o so maby silicone would be better? 

Oh almost forgot I hate plumbing :)  

• Like 3

Not acceptable, better not ever hear of an accident like that again ! ........going to let you slide this time only because it was gin.

Believe me...I was not happy...had a little vocal temper outburst.  It was nearly full.  Did you mean because it WASN'T gin?  It was also a cheap vodka...Skol...not bad though.

Yeah, the plastic drain says don't use silicone.  I think I will just use some Tub & Tile latex caulk under the drain on top of the sink drain hole. 

Edited by tnr
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Thought for sure I read Gin, which I do NOT like. :emotion-41:  If all that was made was Gin I would easily never have another drink.

I have never tried any of the better Vodka's, if I did it was in a drink which makes it harder to tell the difference.

• Like 1

You were a plumber when it was all solid brass I guess? Soooo much better than much of this pot metal junk of today.

From roughly '85 to '95.  I did 4 years as an apprentice and after I stopped plumbing for a living kept doing continuing education for several years so I could keep my license.  I did a lot of cast iron, lead and oakum joints and sweated some lead pipe.  Even made a few lead shower pans for under tile.  You don't see much of that anymore.

• Like 1

These days I use a good silicone caulk instead of plumbers putty for sink baskets. Haven't had to rework one done this way yet. I have on the other hand reworked plumbers putty many time.

I think the problem is when I bought the vanity, etc...the guy included a drain, but it appears to be plastic.  Having replaced the pedestal sink with a vanity, the P trap is now too short vertically and to the wall.  Just went up to Ace before they close and their selection was not so good.   They had what I was looking for in 1-1/2" (a p trap with a taller female slide end) but not in the 1-1/4".  Bought two 1-1/14" x 8" long extensions, but not at all thrilled about adding two more joints that could potentially leak.  Maybe I should go to a plumbers supply store Monday?  Do you think using the extensions with the compression fittings is acceptable?  I guess if it doesn't leak it's o.k., but just hate adding joints.

Only major mishap was knocking my vodka & tonic

I love a good vodka and tonic...................without the tonic.

Yep...I prefer it on the rocks with lots of ice.  Been drizzling just a tad of cranberry/pomegranite over the ice and vodka.   That's what I moved to after I finished the outlet late last night.

I always use plumbers putty.  Never had an issue.  Was a licensed journeyman plumber for 10 years.  Seems like a lifetime ago.

The plastic drain kit they had at Ace said to use plumbers putty.  I probably should not use the cheap plastic drain and pick up a better quality one with a longer length.

Oh boy, I see this getting naughty with the wording.

Was hoping to get this done today.  Even sporting the no-belt plumbers butt.

• Like 1

Thought for sure I read Gin, which I do NOT like. :emotion-41:  If all that was made was Gin I would easily never have another drink.

I have never tried any of the better Vodka's, if I did it was in a drink which makes it harder to tell the difference.

I'm not a gin drinker either, other than Bombay Sapphire.  Ever try it?  Very good!  I had a bottle of Tanquerey sitting around for a few years that I bought for Christmas guests. 

img_bottle_product_page.png

Edited by tnr
  • Like 2

The plastic drain kit they had at Ace said to use plumbers putty. I probably should not use the cheap plastic drain and pick up a better quality one with a longer length

Where's that picture you posted?

You know, you can get 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 compression washers if you need to bush down correct?

Normally the drain piece that goes in the bottom of the sink comes with the faucet.  Did you get a new faucet?