Maybe it isn't manly...

Mallette

Art is an expression of something the artist wants to say.
Since we have deviated from the thread substantially:

I do not like maybe 90% of the "art" created that I have experienced. If the creator says its art then ok. But I nor anyone else has to like it. Also I nor anyone else has to have a sound rational for liking or disliking any art. What is interesting to me is the articulate expression of opinion based on guild posts that I can relate to.

...but I freely admit to shedding tears when listening to great music, well performed, and well recorded. I've recently been told I am not a real audiophile as I am happy with what I hear and am not continually jonzin for something "better."

Just finished listening the Sheffield 1986 "Moscow Sessions" recording of the Tchaikovsky 5th. Peter Ilich would probably have been the first to say he wasn't a Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms...after all, he characterized his best known work, the 1812, as "rather noisy."

However, this recording, orchestra, and conductor had the tears rolling down my face as raw emotional power of Tchaikovsky's final movement filled the room.

It's why I listen.

Why do you listen?

Dave

I listen for the love of it, purely for the love.

And I find it impossible to watch this without my eyes swelling up and sheading tears..... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=il+silenzio+trumpet+solo&qpvt=il+silenzio+trumpet+solo&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=90D672191B62777F728190D672191B62777F7281

It's absolutely beautiful, and I wish I could hug this little girl. The emotion is over whelming for me.... yep, I'm a wusssy and proud of it.

Thanks for posting that, beautiful and yes, moving....My wife also thought it was incredible...For me music has reached it's apex when it stirs you emotionally...I can't believe that either composers or performers are not striving for this at all times. The technical aspects mean little to me, I'm in it simply for the emotion. As for Tchaik, he does it as good as anyone.

The technical aspects mean little to me, I'm in it simply for the emotion. As for Tchaik, he does it as good as anyone.

I feel the same way, and same goes for capturing the emotion of the audience, it is the highest honor an musician can hope for.

Larry,

I enjoy Tchaikosvsky very much, but only some of his music do I truly love and enjoy listening to repeatedly. His 1812 Overture is a favorite, I enjoy it so much that I paid a stupid price just to get virgin sealed copy by MFSL.

Pink Floyd's "Final Cut" is another LP that I thoroughly enjoy.

With me, the one thing that's for certain, is if I own a copy on vinyl, you can darn sure the music draws on my emotions.

• Like 1

The technical aspects mean little to me, I'm in it simply for the emotion. As for Tchaik, he does it as good as anyone.

I feel the same way, and same goes for capturing the emotion of the audience, it is the highest honor an musician can hope for.

Larry,

I enjoy Tchaikosvsky very much, but only some of his music do I truly love and enjoy listening to repeatedly. His 1812 Overture is a favorite, I enjoy it so much that I paid a stupid price just to get virgin sealed copy by MFSL.

Pink Floyd's "Final Cut" is another LP that I thoroughly enjoy.

With me, the one thing that's for certain, is if I own a copy on vinyl, you can darn sure the music draws on my emotions.

I'm with you on " Final Cut" its a great album, suprises me it doesn't garner more praise than it does. It also has an emotional connection for me, due to its Falkland War subject matter.

Edited by oldenough

...I can't believe that either composers or performers are not striving for this at all times.

Can't or won't?

Either/Or.... ;)

Interesting. People seem all too willing to learn more about improving their audio reproduction systems yet won't endeavor to learn more about the purpose for them in the first place.

...I can't believe that either composers or performers are not striving for this at all times.

Can't or won't?

Either/Or.... ;)
Interesting. People seem all too willing to learn more about improving their audio reproduction systems yet won't endeavor to learn more about the purpose for them in the first place.
Ok then "can't", I'm always willing to learn.
  • Like 1

What kind of cables do you use when you tear up? Raw Onion? They convey emotion. All the quibbling about components, I agree music is where its at. I enjoy coffee, but hell if I will spend hours upon hours talking about filters. Enjoy your coffee. Yes I ground my beans.

Well said!!

I was listening intently and somewhat clinically. I think I reached a meditative state where my mind quit analyzing and I channeled Tchaikovsky state of mined. It triggered an outpouring of emotion. I am not a shrink and never played one on TV, plus self-analysis is about as dangerous a ground as one can walk on. But that's about as close as I can get.

Dave

This!

Sure, I can listen to "Wish You Were Here" and think about my deceased Mother or one of my long gone great dogs and it will bring me to tears every time.

But to listen to a piece of music with no preconceptions or expectations and being brought to tears is much different. I think?

One evening (I'll never forget) with the lights out, my recliner reclined and by brain turned off, I just listened to this....

610jlIe5ckL.jpg

..and about half way through the disc, I had tears streaming down my face. It moved me and it was just a "WOW" moment.

I've never had the "same" experience and haven't listened to "Tone Poems" since. I will someday, but I'm still holding on to that one night. Nirvana!

On a side note, on a different forum, the question was asked and I'm paraphrasing, "Whats the worst music you've ever heard" and someone mentioned "Tone Poems". Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Great topic Dave and I don't think it has anything to do with being "Manly", just humans and of course Art. I love this hobby!

Dennie

• Like 1

Thanks Dennie.....

On a serious note. The Star Spangled Banner can bring tears to my eyes each time it is played as I think of my friends and buddies that were killed in Southeast Asia in the early 70's. My gratitude to them shall be never-ending.

american-flag-2a.jpg

Edited by Boxx

With so many people only listening to music :emotion-29: for sentimentality :emotion-21: I'm a bit surprised that the record industry :emotion-29:does as well as it does. Some of the ways I enjoy music :unsure: include, :emotion-22: entertainment and amusement, humor, social commentary, musical history, :emotion-22: story telling, ambient activity, inspiration, relaxation, and keeping up with artist's expression. B) :emotion-53:Can't even imagine what it would be like to just play sentimental music, but it IS a big world :ph34r: and people have lotsa different styles LOL! -_-

Sometimes it depends on what you have been drinking.... :emotion-46:

With so many people only listening to music :emotion-29: for sentimentality :emotion-21: I'm a bit surprised that the record industry :emotion-29:does as well as it does. Some of the ways I enjoy music :unsure: include, :emotion-22: entertainment and amusement, humor, social commentary, musical history, :emotion-22: story telling, ambient activity, inspiration, relaxation, and keeping up with artist's expression. B) :emotion-53:Can't even imagine what it would be like to just play sentimental music, but it IS a big world :ph34r: and people have lotsa different styles LOL! -_-

Emotion doesn't only mean sentimental Mark, there is more to emotion than that, as I'm sure you realize. Some of them are already in your list.