Crites Cornscala Midrange Edginess

EmilC

Hey guys

Even with my 300B amp, Im finding an edginess to the midrange which I've confirmed this with two other Crites Cornscala ownrers.

Anyone else here have similar findings? What did you do?

Im looking into Al Klappenbergers ALK Universal which have attenuations which can be adjusted easily for midrange and treble which has already been done by a member here with good results.

Dean Westcott is also making Al's ALK Universal with premium parts for twice the price. Has anyone gone this route?

I had Bob build a set of Crossovers for a pair of KP-301 II's. the mids seemed hot to me so I contacted him. He sold me 2 different caps for the squaker circuit and had me move a tap for a 2dB decrease in the mids. It doesn't sound like much but it helped a lot. There may be a similar solution to your issue. You should contact him.

Welcome to the forum. I'm assuming it's a PD 5VH Atlas driver which is what I'm running coupled to Dave's Fastrac horn and networks that Dean built and the mids are clear and smooth and I've run them with everything from my Sansui 8080 to an Onkyo HT receiver as well as through Carver and QSC amps and never experienced anything that I would call edgy, so sorry I can't offer any help.

I'm assuming it's a PD 5VH Atlas driver which is what I'm running coupled to Dave's Fastrac horn and networks that Dean built.

I was assuming he had Bobs networks.

From what I can tell, Bob and Dean have different views on squaker performance. Bob is a purist and uses values true to the "Heritage" sound (whatever that is) and Dean explores options to smooth the overall impression out. These are only my observations however and may not be totally accurate.

Similar, not identical, complaint with our two-way Crites Cornscalas. No bass!! Mids & highs seemed so far ahead of the bass in our home, we just couldn't get past it. Finally moved one wire on the auto-transformer and changed one cap, as mentioned above and per BEC. Audio nirvana ensued! Had wondered long and hard about other crossovers, tube amps, etc. Not any more. Try it. ;)

"Dean Westcott is also making Al's ALK Universal with premium parts for twice the price. Has anyone gone this route?"

"Wescott"

Many have gone that route. There are people who appreciate the differences, and who don't accept the idea that something built as cheap as possible sounds as good as something built with parts that have an established reputation for bringing great sound into a listening room.

Anything with a box is now called a "CornScala". When people post about these things, they should list out every component.

Edited by DeanG

I too had assumed it was the midrange, but it turns out that Bob's xover runs the tweeter a little too hot. The adjustability of Al's xovers allow you to dial in the balance perfectly.

Shakey

I'm sure we're comparing apples to oranges but in my case it was the mids. Dropping that circuit 2dB helped immensely.

• Like 1

Understood, Mr Wescott sir! :)

Just for the record, my system consists of:

PS Audio Perfectwave Transport

Lampizator Gen4 Level 4

Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 preamp

Quicksilver 300B amps

Morrow and Triode Wire labs cables and powercords.

And yes, everyone is using the term "Cornscala" these days. I couldnt find a bad word about Bob Crite's version on the internet so I went with him. It just falls a little short thats all.

I left a message on your voicemail. please call me :)

I think Dean meant what components are in your "Cornscala"?

Oh :blush:

I thought that maybe it could have been a component mismatch that may be the blame.

In all fairness to Bob Crites, its not like he has an anechoic chamber or something like Paul Klipsch had. Bob must be voicing them by ear. He must have many,many happy customers that like his speakers just the way they are I'm sure.

I thought that maybe it could have been a component mismatch that may be the blame.

In all fairness to Bob Crites, its not like he has an anechoic chamber or something like Paul Klipsch had. Bob must be voicing them by ear. He must have many,many happy customers that like his speakers just the way they are I'm sure.

So what components are in your Cornscalas?

I too had assumed it was the midrange, but it turns out that Bob's xover runs the tweeter a little too hot. The adjustability of Al's xovers allow you to dial in the balance perfectly.

Shakey

I'm sure we're comparing apples to oranges but in my case it was the mids. Dropping that circuit 2dB helped immensely.

When I had my K Horns they sounded the very best with an active crossover. I will not go back to an active as I like the simple operation of one amp and a passive.

The reason that they sounded right was the ability to adjust each driver. Once I turned the mids and tweeter down, they sounded great. A little attentuation goes along way if needed.

He's not going to tell you no matter how many times you ask. :P

He's not going to tell you no matter how many times you ask. :P

The Style B Cornscala has the CT125 tweeter, M2380 midrange horn and CW1526C woofer all flush mounted. This motorboard has a "backing board" to have enough thickness for recessing the M2380 horn and CW1526C woofer.

The following components are used.

Pair of CT125 Tweeters

Pair of Selenium D405 midrange drivers

Pair of M2380 horns

Pair of CW1526CF woofers

Pair of NEW STYLE CSS500/5000 Cornscala Crossovers