Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

Sorry you feel irked.  You are lumping a lot of people together and  criticizing people you don't know anything about.    I've joked in that fashion but I'm only partially kidding.  I know I have an addictive personality and have seen multiple addictions rip through my family past and present.  My best friend OD'd when we were 20.  I'm pretty sure that is the only reason I am alive today.   My main point is that I don't know anyone who jokes more about addiction than addicts and I don't think it has to diminish anything.  Joking about is part of what keeps me aware of what I am doing and keeps me out of trouble.  I agree that opening the subject is a good thing!  Just realize you might not know what is behind those remarks that seem cavalier to you. 

How bad does an addiction have to be before it qualifies as "real"?  Is my addiction to the Amazon checkout button less serious than my coworker's gambling addiction? Or is their gambling problem less serious than another relatives' meth addiction?  I'd say, well YES, of course!  

I'm reading random AK threads and one of them triggered a long-standing annoyance..

Is anyone irked by people that refer to their audio (or any hobby) gear as an "addiction", "falling off the wagon", etc? people that hoard gear probably have underlying issues - I'm excluding them from this discussion. I'm talking about people that chuckle along and think it's fun to associate their hobby with the struggle of addiction.

i'm probably just being hypersensitive, but as part of my DWI probation terms I had to participate in counseling which included group sessions with people battling all sorts of addictions. people trying to clean up from meth so they could get their kids back, or battling with alcohol and depression and a 3rd DWI as a consequence, or just trying to jump start life from heroin addiction.

i'm probably just being hypersensitive

More than likely.

Sorry you feel irked.  You are lumping a lot of people together and  criticizing people you don't know anything about.   

How bad does an addiction have to be before it qualifies as "real"?  Is my addiction to the Amazon checkout button less serious than my coworker's gambling addiction? Or is their gambling problem less serious than another relatives' meth addiction?  I'd say, well YES, of course!  

I think old Thaddeus may have just invented something new here.  :P

For example, Thaddeus may be exhibiting symptoms of angst and feeling irked in that he is experiencing a hostile “forum” environment.  :ph34r:

It would seem that a hostile forum environment may exist for Thaddeus when he may be experiencing thread posting harassment and fears reading a thread because of the offensive, intimidating, or oppressive atmosphere generated by the harassers misuse of terminology such as ‘addiction’ in such an offensive way to him as addiction often destroys a person's ability to handle ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, and often health.. :ohmy:

Just like when Mimi reported Drew Carey to human resources for circulating the cartoon of a caterpillar humping a French fry because she found it offensive.  Of course, most in that office found looking at Mimi to be offensive. :blink2:

I believe that hoarding has only recently been defined as a mental disorder in the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 2013. It is not clear whether "compulsive" hoarding is a separate, isolated disorder, or rather just a symptom of another condition, such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

A point to note is that hoarding is not necessarily the same as collecting as collectors look for specific items, such as model cars, model trains, stamps, SPEAKERS, and AMPLIFIERS and may organize or display them or play music with them.  People with a hoarding disorder often save random items and store them haphazardly without using them. 

Now how many here have filled the spare room with excess speakers and amplifiers?  Damn, I think I may be on the boarder of being a hoarder..... :emotion-21: :emotion-25:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  

Now addiction is thought of as more of a persistent, compulsive dependence on a substance or behavior.  The term addiction is often used interchangeably with the word dependence for substance abuse.  There again, this may be the aspect that is irking Thaddeus.

For example, the term addiction often includes two types of addictions: substance addictions such as alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking; and process addictions such as gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity.

With substance addictions a person will experience physiological dependence as the body tries to adjust to the substance by incorporating the substance into its "normal" functioning.  However, with physiological dependence the addict will posture between a state of tolerance and withdrawal. Tolerance as the body continually adapts to the substance and requires substantially larger quantities to achieve the original effects and withdrawal while experiencing the physical and psychological symptoms felt when reducing or discontinuing a substance that the body has become dependent upon.

Withdrawal from substance addictions generally can include extreme anxiety, irritability, intense cravings for the substance, nausea, hallucinations, headaches, cold sweats, and tremors.  Not a pretty sight.

Hey wait just one darn minute, so yes, it does seem like that "Amazon checkout button" just may be another form of addiction…… :emotion-14:

post-36163-0-94300000-1412904216_thumb.p

post-36163-0-42580000-1412904237_thumb.p

Edited by Fjd

Hey wait just one darn minute, so yes, it does seem like that "Amazon checkout button" just may be another form of addiction…… :emotion-14:

Call it what you like... it is way too easy to buy my musical whim of the moment and have it arrive at my house two days later!    Sometimes I think about it barely long enough to check to see if I already have it in my collection.

Call it what you like... it is way too easy to buy my musical whim of the moment and have it arrive at my house two days later!    Sometimes I think about it barely long enough to check to see if I already have it in my collection.

I've done that too.  In fact, I've bought stuff then realized once it arrived that I already had the item, just forgot about it. 

oh wow, this spiraled out of control.  :wacko:

it was these specific comments that I read today, which echo what I have seen in the past around numerous forums, and it just irked me. and i was curious if anyone else found themselves irked by cavalier comments towards addiction:

"- my first post -

the addiction is so easy to get back into.. been years since.. but i fell off the wagon.."

"-- Hello my name is ****.. I am an Audio Addict ..."

i wasn't passing judgement on the person saying them, judging "real" addiction vs. "faux" addiction, nor did I feel personally offended or wronged. i was merely wondering if they understood true addiction, and if so, curious as to why would they reference it with such a jovial spirit.

that's all. nothing deeper.

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-09%20at%209.20.2

it was these specific comments that I read today, which echo what I have seen in the past around numerous forums, and it just irked me. and i was curious if anyone else found themselves irked by cavalier comments towards addiction:

"- my first post -

the addiction is so easy to get back into.. been years since.. but i fell off the wagon.."

i wasn't passing judgement on the person saying them, judging "real" addiction vs. "faux" addiction, nor did I feel personally offended or wronged. i was merely wondering if they understood true addiction, and if so, curious as to why would they reference it with such a jovial spirit.

Cut back on an addition, I haven't got time to cut back on my addiction....

cigs.gif

Edited by Boxx

"- my first post - the addiction is so easy to get back into.. been years since.. but i fell off the wagon.."   "-- Hello my name is ****.. I am an Audio Addict ..."   i wasn't passing judgement on the person saying them, judging "real" addiction vs. "faux" addiction, nor did I feel personally offended or wronged. i was merely wondering if they understood true addiction, and if so, curious as to why would they reference it with such a jovial spirit.   that's all. nothing deeper.

I get you, and i can see how that interaction could raise suspicion.  That poster’s wording is mimicking the opening line commonly thought to be spoken by an alcoholic--so there is naturally the comparison of audio/alcohol.  Not suggesting that the poster intended to make light of an addiction; but, it is totally reasonable to wonder if that person had any idea what it was like to be in the grips of a destructive compulsion. Times like that when you say to yourself, “if they only knew…”  

"- my first post -

Cut back on an addition, I haven't go time to cut back on my addiction....

cigs.gif

Boxx--since i lost one of my lungs, i’ve cut my smoking in half.

i always thought i was a thread killer.

I've always thought that you enlightened each threat that you posted in and gave it an "air" of respectability....

I thought we were cool--why would you go calling my thoughts respectable?  

I do thank you kind sir. Since my pancreas has insisted that I no longer consume alcohol--I will tip this bottle of Vitamin Water Zero in your honor.