Before I purchase a subscription to Pandora.

The Dude

• Moderators

I've been a Spotify junkie for a couple years now, having ditched Pandora a while back. I hear good things about Rhapsody, but I have yet to check it out, and really have no desire to switch at this point.

Can't remember what it was, but I started to get a Pandora login a few weeks ago and something in their EULA stopped me cold. I believe it implied that they might send FB messages or something to my friends about what I was listening to on Pandora or something...

Anyway, it was a showstopper.

Dave

I know that the free version isn't that bad, but I am tired of time outs. Plus I hear there are other things that Pandora paid subscription offers. But before I do is there other streaming companies that could be better for around the same price.

Skip Pandora. Their Music Library has about 1 Million Tracks. Get Spotify, it has over 20 Million tracks.

And most important to an Audiophile Pandora streams at 128 KBps. Spotify Streams at 320 KBPS. It is easy to hear the difference.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Spotify will try to lure you in with a Facebook login, but look for the smaller print to create an account instead. I deleted my Facebook and detangled Spotify from it.... it can be done! I like the flexibility in following/sharing with friends that I choose, without being forced to do so. You can also follow artists to be alerted when they have new releases.

Beware, though. It's highly addictive. One searched song leads to another, then another, and another....I have one playlist that's 24 hours long, and it wasn't hard to assemble :)

It will also import any songs found on your harddrive.

• Like 1

At $36 a year, Pandora is a steal. Runs on just about any device. My wife loves it.

I'm a huge fan of MOG, but Beats Music is cutting the cord on tax day :angry: and Beats Music won't stream to my SB touch.

May have to give Spotify a try.

I was also a MOG user and liked the interface with my SB Touch. There is a user named TRIODE that has created a custom Plugin for Spotify to the SB Touch with a lot of MOG like features. This is now what I use.

Spotify GOOD. Compression is clearly minimum, and plenty of pipe organ which fares better than most things in mp3 due to the lack of harmonics. Harpsichord isn't quite there for critical listening...but I am not using it for critical listening, just getting nice music through the house via my FM re-transmitter.

Plenty good enough to explore stuff I might want to acquire in higher resolution.

Thanks for the tip!

Dave

Ktastic, if you are talking about streaming, not sure why you'd want to throw that much money at it. Most audio-capable devices will deliver what mp3, even at it's least compressed, has to offer. I am listening on a stock audio chip set on a PC through Rat Shack LS-5 speakers and, even at 63, could clearly hear that pipe organ came across nicely but harpsichord is missing harmonics I'd hear on vinyl, R2R, or high res digital.

Dave

Ok, giving the free version a shot. Don't know if this is a trail membership or not. But I know the sound quality is better right off the bat. Second, a Beatles radio station is a Beatles radio station, I don't know how I feel about. But I don't get a lot of variety but a lot of Beatles covers, maybe through out the weekend I will play around with it and see if I can mix it up.

• Moderators

Ok, giving the free version a shot. Don't know if this is a trail membership or not. But I know the sound quality is better right off the bat. Second, a Beatles radio station is a Beatles radio station, I don't know how I feel about. But I don't get a lot of variety but a lot of Beatles covers, maybe through out the weekend I will play around with it and see if I can mix it up.

There are some artists that you just won't find, for whatever reason. Usually artist refusal to participate, from what I can tell. Royalties and such.

Here's some more info I found on it, along with other artists.

• Moderators
a Beatles radio station is a Beatles radio station, I don't know how I feel about. But I don't get a lot of variety

Was with MOG then Pandora and now trying Spotify. The first thing was what you said, I am use to the variety after having Pandora and don't want to hear just one artist or sit there and change it myself. Just started with it today so I guess I need to figure it out ? Not giving up Pandora yet, probably keep both around.

Pandora does have better quality but only for businesses, home subscription quality is the same, kind of dumb.

Edited by dtel

a Beatles radio station is a Beatles radio station, I don't know how I feel about. But I don't get a lot of variety

Was with MOG then Pandora and now trying Spotify. The first thing was what you said, I am use to the variety after having Pandora and don't want to hear just one artist or sit there and change it myself. Just started with it today so I guess I need to figure it out ? Not giving up Pandora yet, probably keep both around.

Pandora does have better quality but only for businesses, home subscription quality is the same, kind of dumb.

With a SB touch and Triode's custom Plugin with Spotify, it will do the 'variety thing' Just like MOG did it !

I am like you dtel, I get tired of one artist and like the variety on Pandora. I guess there is Spotify, Mog and others to suit an individuals taste.

I am like you dtel, I get tired of one artist and like the variety on Pandora. I guess there is Spotify, Mog and others to suit an individuals taste.

Not hard to do with Spotify at all..... The audio quality of Pandora and Track selection is very poor.

Edited by Cut-Throat