Internet radio question

dtel

• Moderators

This is the problem, I want to stream, wifi to my 2 ch setup. Right now I use the app in the bluray player but it only gets Pandora and I want to try others.

For 2 Ch I need it to be either optical or coax out from whatever it is to connect to my dac (XDA-1) because it's usb only accepts low rates.

I have been looking and the only thing with either of those two outputs is very expensive, many have rca outputs but I need a digital signal.

These are the inputs on the back of the XDA-1

post-9700-0-39280000-1394993226_thumb.jp

• Moderators
How much is too much $$$?

One I found last night was I think $350

Your amp doesnt accept blutooth or wireless connection?

It's a DAC....coax, optical, aes/ebu whatever that is and usb which is said to be limited on the DAC.

How about another SMART BD player that supports other apps than just Pandora?

I never thought of that, Great idea.

Part of not wanting to spend a lot on something to do this was besides $, it could all change, wireless or how and what you can get, and I hate to be stuck out again, needing something new . Almost everything seems to be a never ending change, I have to admit most are good some great but still never ending.

• Moderators

Went and looked, it will not be Samsung but I need to look at other brands. Samsung is what I have now, BD C6500, they only allow you certain apps and Pandora is the only one for music I can get. Other brands might have a better choice ? I need to look around.

Thanks for the idea, BD players are cheaper than most of the streaming contraptions. I was looking a while back and wanted one of those squeezebox things, turned out it was right when they were going out of business.

Most likely, I am misunderstanding your predicament. You have thought of this already or it is just not an option. What I do understand is your current player will not stream from internet? I have "chromecast" in my bedroom and it is limited to set sources.

My question, or thought, is why don't you just stream straight from your laptop or computer? That way you may hear anything and everything you want. I go straight from my laptop into 2-channel with very good results.

For some reason I am having a bad feeling this has nothing to do with your problem??? :)

• Like 1

A company name Grace has several, one with digital outs to go to the XDA-1 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grace-Digital-GDI-IRDT200-Wireless-HiFi-Home-Audio-Internet-Radio-Receiver-Tuner-/360880001516

$169. For that price you can almost switch over to a receiver with pre-outs though I do like my XDA-1 other than lower quality USB input. For Internet Radio, the lower bit rate on the XDA-1 via USB won't matter.so you could always use a computer. Higher quality out of the computer you can spring for an inexpensive Asus audio card with Tos-link or S/PDIF output.

• Moderators

So your streamer would go to your dac, and your dac goes to a pre amp or receiver. Or do you use your DAC as a pre amp.

Yes I use the DAC as the preamp, it has a volume control.

BDplayer to DAC with optical cable

L & R out to Ev Dx38 (active crossover) with XLR's, it comes out of the DX as 4 channels

which goes into 2 Crown D-75 amps, out to 2 way speakers, amp for each bass and mid/high horn.

It sounds more complicated than it is when you write it down.

• Moderators

Most likely, I am misunderstanding your predicament. You have thought of this already or it is just not an option. What I do understand is your current player will not stream from internet? I have "chromecast" in my bedroom and it is limited to set sources.

My question, or thought, is why don't you just stream straight from your laptop or computer? That way you may hear anything and everything you want. I go straight from my laptop into 2-channel with very good results.

For some reason I am having a bad feeling this has nothing to do with your problem??? :)

I was using the BD player to stream but for music it only has Pandora, it works fine.

The only output from the laptop is USB and this DAC limits the bit rate down for that connection but not for optical or coax. Before I had the DAC I used a HTR as a preamp and I did just what your saying and it worked great.

The difference in sound with the DAC is easily more than enough to find another way to connect and keep the DAC.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A company name Grace has several, one with digital outs to go to the XDA-1 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grace-Digital-GDI-IRDT200-Wireless-HiFi-Home-Audio-Internet-Radio-Receiver-Tuner-/360880001516

$169. For that price you can almost switch over to a receiver with pre-outs though I do like my XDA-1 other than lower quality USB input. For Internet Radio, the lower bit rate on the XDA-1 via USB won't matter.so you could always use a computer. Higher quality out of the computer you can spring for an inexpensive Asus audio card with Tos-link or S/PDIF output.

I was just reading about the Grace tuner trying to figure out it would get Spotify, I was hoping to go as cheap as possible.

I did use preouts from a Yamaha and it don't compare to the XDA 1, it made life easier but a giant difference in sound quality.

I was hoping to use Spotify or other higher bit rate stations, I used MOG before and could hear the difference easily over Pandora.

I have no idea when you say Asus audio card with Tos-link or S/pdif connections, so I will go see/read to see what that is. :o

dtel,

Here is a $49 NuForce USB to Toslink converter in case you are using a laptop - http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-U192S-USB-to-S_PDIF-Converter/productinfo/NUU192S/#.UybxhLSXQpI

The card I recommended was purely if you use a full sized computer instead of a laptop. If you have an optical port available on the XDA-1, this may do it if you can use the computer for listening.

• Moderators

That would work perfectly, USB from laptop and my DAC has both toslink and coax, it's perfect, and cheaper than anyting I was looking at.

Thank You I am going to try this if I can find a laptop around here that is not windows 8. If not I could always use a old computer around here that I know is not windows 8.

I wonder why if it's windows 8 or another system it makes a difference to just convert USB to toslink ? guess it's because it's controlling what is sent to the USB ?

They sure don't make things easily compatible.

post-9700-0-72880000-1395078186_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-02880000-1395078753_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

I really want to try this but this statement has me worried, is it just for Tablets or for anything ? What is x86 architecture ?

"*Note: Nuforce USB Audio devices are designed to work with x86 architecture. Tablet devices running Windows 8 (RT) are not supported."

• Moderators

Went reading and found this which is not what I wanted to hear.

The software giant Microsoft have confirmed very recently the features and details of the very latest operating system windows 8. As per the latest updates from the house of Microsoft, windows 8 software will be running on ARM architecture. Unlike the former versions of windows, which were powered using the x86 and x64, the new version of windows will be powered using the ARM architecture which had been powering the Android operating system.

• ARM, which stands for Advanced RISC Machine, or Acorn RISC Machine, is an energy efficient design. The processors designed as per the ARM specifications are super light, and can be installed on portable devices, and embedded into mobile phones.
  • Since windows 8 follows an ARM design, it can be installed on mobile phones and other embedded devices like tablets and slates. The easiness and simplicity of the ARM processors have let it win over many hearts around the world. As per the latest updates from Microsoft, they are planning to launch a tablet PC powered by ARM windows 8 processor. Windows 8 has already been accepted by many clients like Nokia, to power their mobile phones. The ARM architecture places windows 8 as the future OS,

Windows 7 and windows 8

with its ease and simplicity.

• Moderators

I think I have a plan, ordered the Nuforce USB to SPDIF converter. Found be a mini laptop without windows 8, so I can try this, hope it all works out, just need to order a couple of wires. :emotion-21:

Thanks Pzannucci for finding the converter, I looked for things like that for hours and didn't see that one. I was about to get the soundcard for a desktop laying around. The little laptop will make it much nicer, I can sit on the sofa or chair in the living room with a good USB cable and have it more portable than a desktop

Edited by dtel

I would be very surprised if you found problems with Windows 8. Most of these, as long as you are staying at 24/96, will be detected by the Windows subsystem. The time you have problems is when you are trying to do 24/192 or something where you need a proprietary driver.

Let me know how it works out. Seems killer for the price.

• Moderators

I think your right, I was reading on the company's website and under the tab "downloads" it says "users must stop music before unplugging under windows 8 or it will cause the OS to lock up ", It also gives you driver updates for windows 7 and 8.

Well I don't like 8 anyway but it's good to know if the little laptop I'm getting dies I may be able to use 8 if I had to.

It is a great price compared to everything I was looking at and I wanted to try it so bad because it fits exactly the problem I was having and with what sounds like attention to audio quality. Also the website you posted is one of there authorized dealers which never hurts.

Company site https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=33:u192s&Itemid=185