Baseball Thread

Sancho Panza

MLB has got it backwards. During inter league play, they should play by the visiting team's rules. That way, Cubs fans could see the DH in Wrigley and Tigers fans could see Verlander try to bat at Comerica Park. Perhaps he could be a hitter now that his pitching career is tanking.

MLB is still two centuries behind. The DH is used universally in high school, American Legion ball, USSSA Baseball, college ball and every other league above little league. Nobody comes to the park to see pitchers hit. They need to adopt the DH in EVERY MLB park.

And let's get rid of the balk rule. You can already fake a throw to every other base except first. Give the pitcher ONE throw to first per batter, and then let's play ball.

And that stupid infield fly rule. They say it's there to prevent the defense from getting the "cheap" triple play. I say if the offense doesn't want to give up a cheap triple play, then don't pop the ball up into the infield with runners on 1st and 2nd, or 1st 2nd and 3rd, with less than two outs.

I'll shut up.

Edited by wvu80

MLB has got it backwards. During inter league play, they should play by the visiting team's rules. That way, Cubs fans could see the DH in Wrigley and Tigers fans could see Verlander try to bat at Comerica Park. Perhaps he could be a hitter now that his pitching career is tanking.

MLB is still two centuries behind. The DH is used universally in high school, American Legion ball, USSSA Baseball, college ball and every other league above little league. Nobody comes to the park to see pitchers hit. They need to adopt the DH in EVERY MLB park.

And let's get rid of the balk rule. You can already fake a throw to every other base except first. Give the pitcher ONE throw to first per batter, and then let's play ball.

And that stupid infield fly rule. They say it's there to prevent the defense from getting the "cheap" triple play. I say if the offense doesn't want to give up a cheap triple play, then don't pop the ball up into the infield with runners on 1st and 2nd, or 1st 2nd and 3rd, with less than two outs.

I'll shut up.

I agree!

Because I grew up on the Cincinnati Reds and learned to appreciate the intricacies of baseball watching the 69 Cubs, I had to learn to like the DH when my allegiance was transferred to The Detroit Tigers, but like it I do.

Yes, the managing strategies in the NL can get interesting when the pitcher is due up in late innings and the team is behind. Still, I'd rather see Victor Martinez play as the DH at a point in his career when catching or playing first base everyday would be too much for his geriatric legs. AL pitchers must pitch to 9 hitters, not 8 hitters and a pitcher.

George Carlin's comparison of baseball and football is worth a listen.

Also, Bob Newhart's bit about Abner Doubleday pitching (pun intended) baseball to Olympic Games is funny.

Edited by DizRotus

In 1967, while a student at MSU, I observed a student from St Louis get so upset when the Cardinals blew a 3 games to 1 World Series lead, he pushed his TV out the 5th floor window of his dorm room,. That CRT made quite a bang when it hit the pavement.

In Detroit, the reaction was much more civilized. The rioters burned the town.

I'm pulling for Vandy....

My dad went there & was a longsuffering fan.

His dad went to Tulane.

So, I root for those teams, too.

I see where the Green Wave has moved it's football program back on campus with a new stadium.

I'm watching LIVE! also, 2-2 in the 7th.

Vandy is the underdog, and it's hard not to root for the underdog.

I know Virginia is playing, but I'm from WEST Virgina and we really are a separate state. You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard people say they like West Virginia, and have relatives who live in Richmond. :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

WEST Virgina
I've learned much about West Virginia (and WVU) since they joined the Big 12.

And I have learned much about Texas, and the Big 12. It seems we share a bond of hating Oklahoma.

You bet....

MinThumbsup.gif

LOL! I met some Texas Tech people when they played WVU at home last year. I was in the WVU alumni band and we talked marching bands (they have a good one, as do we), football, hating Oklahoma, and more football. Real nice people, they invited us to Lubbock next year.

They could afford to be nice, they tromped us. :rolleyes:

And we are double digit dogs to virtually every Big 12 team this year, so it's not likely to get any better for 2014. :sad:

Edited by wvu80

LOL! I met some Texas Tech people when they played WVU at home last year. I was in the WVU alumni band and we talked marching bands (they have a good one, as do we), football, hating Oklahoma, and more football. Real nice people, they invited us to Lubbock next year.

They could afford to be nice, they tromped us. :rolleyes:

And we are double digit dogs to virtually every Big 12 team this year, so it's not likely to get any better for 2014. :sad:

I'm glad that WVU joined the Big 12. Much was added to the conference as a whole. Plus you replaced those sorry $ss aggies....

I'm glad that WVU joined the Big 12. Much was added to the conference as a whole. Plus you replaced those sorry $ss aggies....

Sincerely, thank you. Very kind.

Now, if the state of Texas will loan us some of those 5 star high school All Americans you guys have been hoarding... B)

Edited by wvu80