Back to the Future...Blu Ray

Mallette

Well, here we go again. Little question it CAN work, but will it replace the CD...not that doing so would be a big deal in the era of the download. Certainly BR has the advantage of an installed base and nothing new for the purchaser to learn, and for us about as near "perfect sound forever" as we've ever been.

Doesn't cost me a dime more to press "24/96" or above on my Roland, and the plastic and procedure to burn it is the same...but what do you want to bet these schmucks charge a premium and make sure you can't rip the files? They'd starve to death in a grocery store, if the past is any indicator, and seem certainly more hell-bent on destroying the music business than pirates.

Dave

I think time is on our side and possibly lossless will become the norm. With more and more Blu Ray audio titles coming out that are very affordable from $15-$30, huge cheap hard drives being the norm, etc...... Well one can hope anyhow.

Also cloud storage seems to be a hot avenue where you could keep a large storage amount of data that you didn't have to worry about being compromised. It would be nice to download or stream your lossless playlist after coming from work or while in the car. I think things are going to get better before they get worse, but it may take 10 years.

Wowee Zowee. The technology is there to give us 24bit/96kHz which is theoretically a dynamic range of 144dB, freq response to 48kHz. But will it get exploited? Or will the source be squashed, limited and boosted in overall average volume to please the mass market. I'm not optimistic.

But of COURSE it will, badadono! But if it succeeds in that marketplace, even to a modest extent, there will be audiophile releases of jazz, concert music, and acoustic stuff that will be treated with more respect for the music. Of course, if software to allow "mom and pop" to record it will succeed and guys like me can provide guys like you with "the real deal."

With DVD-A, the spec was written to require the use of a proprietary (can't recall the name of it now) compression software. It wasn't anymore special than "zip," but it cost several thousand dollars. Showstopper. It was only there to keep the "little guys" out. Of course, doomed the format to failure as did use of a similar tactic with SACD...but these guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Dave

PONO will be interesting to watch. Hard to imagine it catching on with the average crowd as they think they are happy listeing on their phones and the price is pretty steep for something that can't do twitter...

For audiophiles, little draw at the price aside from the handful of the handful still stuck in analog only for fidelity reasons who find it good and a tech-free way to play back hi res files.

I rather doubt it sounds appreciable better than a decent 150.00 Xonar.

However, if it should catch a base in the general public that would be a GOOD thing for us!

Dave

• 8 months later...