1979 Cornwall redo - what a find!

Thanks guys.

Yes, DJK is correct. The sides and tops were not "plywood" in the normal sense. They are lumber core (or wood core) where the center of the board is solid wood planks joined together and then veneered on each side.

I cut out a 3/4" x 3/4" channel on each of the four corners from front to back to insert solid wood trim that will cover the edge of the veneer. It will look similar to the pics when finished with roundover on the edges.

I used the Dayton K812 horn from PE (270-304) on these cause I had then handy. I hated to do all this work and keep the small stock mid horn since I had the chance to use bigger horns. Here is link below to the horns. I've used them in other applications. They are bolt on so I made a wooden connect plate to bolt to the horn with a female screw in adapter.

Here is a pic from last night showing front trim applied (except for bottom which I'll do tonight). After that I attach the four top and bottom corner edges then flush trim, roundover, and sand.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-h812-1-exponential-horn-100x60-2-bolt--270-304

Very nice, I need a buddy like you! :emotion-21:

Hey get in line I am cutting his grass all this summer and fall and next spring too just for a set of cabinets like those. Fine fine work for which you should be proud of your skill of the hand. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments.

Once I get going on a project like this I end up adding in more freebies than I should as I go along! My wife thinks I'm crazy and she's probably right!

Moray, thanks to you for you help on the bracing and fiberglass damping suggestion.

Do you use regular fiberglass (pink stuff HD sells?)? You mention "high density" fiberglass. Please educate me if I'm not aware of HD fiberglass and where to buy it.

By the way Moray does great yard work!!!! He is a monster on the edge trimmer!!!

Thanks.

The mid horn is only good to 800 Hz, will that be a problem?

Beautiful cabinets!

the mouth is a lot larger than a K700/701 which is used as low as 600Hz on occasion. If you like the K701 in a Forte then this should only be better so long as the throat geometry is sound and comes off the mould true. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Do you use regular fiberglass (pink stuff HD sells?)? You mention "high density" fiberglass. Please educate me if I'm not aware of HD fiberglass and where to buy it.

The very best high density fiberglass is from the Owens Corning 700 series but it is usually a special order and harder to find not to mention it cost but hey it is the best. The poor mans HD fiberglass I like to use if sole as flexi acoustical ceiling tiles in 2z4 foot panels you can find it from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick and it has a perforated white vinyl film on one side (peel that off), these are designed for suspended ceilings. building supply stores like Lowes and Home Depot or the like usually stock this. Install it so that the cut edges of the panel face the driver and not the flat side of the panels as the absorption is very different between the two orientations. My H3 are more than 90% solid packed with this and bass up on 22" stands is excellent. Hope this helps. I need mot line for my weed whacker. Best regards Moray James.

Moray, the spec sheet said lowest crossover point for this horn is 800Hz.

I am sure that the 800 Hz stated figure is an ok one and higher would probably be better, no disrespect intended by me saying so what is wrong with using it lower? take a look at the KLF20/30 mid horn which is used to 750 Hz. it is smaller, the K700/701 previously mentioned is smaller both used lower. You can run a horn down to its cut off frequency it will play that low the trade off is polar control. Klipsch and everyone else does this all the time. If you are concerned and you want to do things right by the book Klipsch is happy to sell you a K402 but most folks find that a little large. Most horn data published is often shaky at best and often much is not said at all with off shore designs. You can simply go by size to have a good idea of what will do what and with horns as always bigger is better. You also have to make sure the driver you choose will be able to move enough air if you intend to cross low. In domestic situations the K402 can be run as low as 350 - 375 Hz.. Hope this helps. These kinds of choices are all trade offs and experience will help see what others have done and what level of success they have had. Larger and longer means you can play a horn lower. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Update, got the veneer installed, solid cherry corners, flush trim, roundover sanded and now ready to stain. Looking at stains tonight with the owner and we should have these done in about 10 days.

Awesome work Longdrive, since Moray has the yard work down who's got your chef duties :rolleyes:

I have a new/old project myself but lack skills and most of all tools for these :(

post-16574-0-76020000-1401808796_thumb.j

Edited by kaiser SET say

Thanks guys. Moray is a great yard man!

I have had problems keeping a good chef so I'm always in the market. My wife likes that idea!

The Savers was the one across from Sam's on Bowman. He goes by twice a day. He has the knack of finding deals. I redid (basically rebuilt) some Heresys for him a couple of years ago that were falling apart so he called me when he scored the C's.

• 1 month later...

Update. Finally am finishing this project. I read Marshall's excellent tutorial on stretching the grill cloth on the Cornwall. Got one finished last night and will do the second one tonight then I can install speakers, insulation and get this baby rockin. I'll keep the stretching jig for sure since I have two pair of Heresy's to reveneer.

post-21976-0-70940000-1405004013_thumb.j

post-21976-0-31740000-1405004024_thumb.j

Thanks guys. I have a new found respect for Marshall after building a new grill frame our of 1/2" cherry plywood and following his instructions on how to install the grill cloth. I have a fairly big roll of what I think is the older version Klipsch grill cloth and I didn't want to waste it. I'm ready to hook these up and get them to the customer.