Klipsch RC-62II as center, left, right

stakhanov

• Moderators

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with using a center channel speaker as a main speaker. I've heard of people using 3 RC-64 in the same configuration. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Are the left and right speaker going to be placed vertical and the center horizontal? Only thing to check is dispersion of the horn. By changing the orientation on the speaker, you may change the angle at which the horn disperses sound.

Welcome to the forums.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with using a center channel speaker as a main speaker. I've heard of people using 3 RC-64 in the same configuration. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Are the left and right speaker going to be placed vertical and the center horizontal? Only thing to check is dispersion of the horn. By changing the orientation on the speaker, you may change the angle at which the horn disperses sound.

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hijack, but I have 3 centers up front as well with the center being horizontal. How do you figure out the orientation of the side vertical centers?

• Moderators

Sorry to hijack, but I have 3 centers up front as well with the center being horizontal. How do you figure out the orientation of the side vertical centers?

I had just looked at the Cut Sheet and it says:

1” (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn

So the horn is designed to offer 90 degree horizontal dispersion and 60 degrees of vertical dispersion when the speaker is in the horizontal position.

If you turn the speaker vertical, you then get the opposite....60 degrees of horizontal dispersion and 90 degrees of vertical dispersion.

Now how much will 30 degrees of dispersion make a difference, I have no idea. Just something to consider.

1” (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn

So the horn is designed to offer 90 degree horizontal dispersion and 60 degrees of vertical dispersion when the speaker is in the horizontal position.

If you turn the speaker vertical, you then get the opposite....60 degrees of horizontal dispersion and 90 degrees of vertical dispersion.

Now how much will 30 degrees of dispersion make a difference, I have no idea. Just something to consider.

I have 3 RC-7's, so I'll take a look at those specs and go from there.

thanks very much

You would be surprised how much they make a difference lol. That’s why just toeing in speaker such as towers makes a nicer image for the MLP. If possible id try going for a vertical on the center and both LR for wider dispersion especially if they are all going to be at ear level the horizontal will probably be more important than vertical dispersion unless there are seat higher up behind the MLP. Just my 2 cents but I could be wrong as every room is different. Why o why can’t all rooms be the same??

Could you turn the horn 90 degrees?

Could you turn the horn 90 degrees?

rc-7, maybe. rc-62ii nope. horn is part of the whole baffle. impossible unless you start cutting apart the speaker.

• 4 weeks later...

Good thoughts on the horn at 60 degrees at a vertical.it has me thinking on positioning them at a hortalzontal,but lack of wall space won't allow it.next I will disect the speaker and see what it will Intail to spin the horn. Or How about the 64 horn ? 90/60 also ? Recently I upgraded my center from the 62 to the 64 ii and am loving it,(every thing is more CRISP) sence then I have been churning thoughts of buying them for my L/R's also.

My system is as follows

L/R 62

C 64ii

Height 62

Wides 62

Rear Surrounds S6

Rear RS 3's

2- SVS PB 12 Plus Two

Denon 4520 running Audyssey

Denon BD 3313

Good thoughts on the horn at 60 degrees at a vertical.it has me thinking on positioning them at a hortalzontal,but lack of wall space won't allow it.next I will disect the speaker and see what it will Intail to spin the horn. Or How about the 64 horn ? 90/60 also ? Recently I upgraded my center from the 62 to the 64 ii and am loving it,(every thing is more CRISP) sence then I have been churning thoughts of buying them for my L/R's also.

My system is as follows

L/R 62

C 64ii

Height 62

Wides 62

Rear Surrounds S6

Rear RS 3's

2- SVS PB 12 Plus Two

Denon 4520 running Audyssey

Denon BD 3313

Three 64ii would be awesome I'm sure. One thing to keep in mind is the rf-7ii only costs a little more. I would take a 7 over the 64 for L and R. But I guess if you can't fit the 7s that would be a different story.

Thanks for the feedback, i am new to the forum and also new to the AV seen of 8 months or so, please bear with at times.

I would agree with it being crispier with the larger tweeter at 1.75". Good stuff I'm loving it.

I have demoed the 7's in the past and do agree they sound fantastic, look awsome,and accompany the 64 very well, with the matching 1.75" horn. Not to beating down the 7's but in my case I think the 10" woofers wouldn't do them justice with having 2 SVS PB/Plus 2's as my low effects. My Denon fronts are set to small speakers.The route I have been pursuing is 6.5 woofers throughout my 11. System and letting my .2 SVS's take care of LFE set at 120 for a crossover point.

Any thoughts ? Loaded question, I'm sure lol