Must you be certified as a jerk to sell on Craigslist?

eth2

Looking through Craigslist today I was amazed as some of the ads. For example:

"If you know anything about Klipsch speakers then you should not have any questions.
They work thats all you need to know."

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/4438283437.html

"I'm considering selling my Audio Research VSi55 integrated tube stereo amplifier."

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/4382172025.html

Gee, let us know as soon as you decide!

Then there was the guy that wanted a 75% deposit before he would allow me to see his Heresys.

OF COURSE I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY FORUM MEMBERS WHO USE CRAIGSLIST! :)

Edited by eth2
  • Like 3

My experience is the vast difference in what a seller considers to be "pristine" or "excellent" condition." I went to hear a McIntosh listed as "pristine". First the seller claimed he could not let me listen to it since it was in the box. Finally he agreed and it had the worst buzz in one channel. He tried to convince me it was the speaker until I asked him to switch the speaker leads.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not everyone is a jerk on Craigslist but I have run into a few. In general, the vast majority of Craigslist sales I have been involved in have been positive ones. But my favorite was a guy that had a pair of RF-7's in Maple finish. I asked my usual questions, are there any dents, dings, major scratches, grill pegs broken etc? He basically said they were in "excellent" condition and said the woofers are all in great condition, grill pegs intact etc.

I get there and literally one woofer had two major dents in the dustcap, one woofer had creases in it and two other woofers had some type of mold looking spots on both drivers. Grill pegs were broken and there were definitely some dings and scratches on the cabinet.

• Like 1

Here is the reply I got last night in response to Heresy's I wrote about a few weeks ago. I followed up yesterday and got this response.

"The status hasn't changed. Still have them, still $500.00, still don't care if I sell them."

To make matters worse - I bought them (but not for $500).

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

When I go shopping on CL, I try to ignore the attitudes people project in their posts. Instead, I try to focus on my task and leave everything else as noise that, for me, amount to nothing more than distractions from my goal. What does irritate me are incomplete descriptions such as:

"I have a pair of awesome Klipsch speakers for sale - excellent condition only $300!" With no mention of the model and no pictures.

Part of me says 'move along' and another part of me says 'but what if they are Cornwalls!' :blink:

Long story short, there are as many personalities on Craigslist as there are people in the world, I don't have to like them, but if they have what I want at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll do business with them.

Steve

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 3

I once answered an ad that simply said "pool table w/stuff $200" Talk about vague. We drove to the guys house and it was a coin operated AMF slate table from the '70s with a doz. cues and two sets of balls. You just never know what you'll find.

• Moderators

Just curious what your comment to the seller was that caused him to say, "still don't care if I sell them."

I made an offer a few weeks ago that he rejected. In response he said that he did not care if he sold them.

Too funny. Yeah, people get offended when you make an offer that is less than acceptable to them. If I list something for $900 and a guy offers me $600, I'm not offended at all. I simply say "I appreciate your offer but I am not willing to let it go that low." or something to that effect. Some become defensive and reply with rude comments. It's all revolves around their personality.

When I get in the mood to offload a possession my first effort is to barter. So I make a list of things I want around the same perceived value and start hammering out emails to every listing I can find, offering a clear description of what I have and asking politely if they have any interest in trading.

This method quickly numbs you to rejection. Persistence usually pays off, however, and I typically am able to trade my things for stuff that would cost more than I could ever get for cash if I just tried to sell my item outright. I've seen my share of rant responses, thats for sure.

When I get in the mood to offload a possession my first effort is to barter. So I make a list of things I want around the same perceived value and start hammering out emails to every listing I can find, offering a clear description of what I have and asking politely if they have any interest in trading.

This method quickly numbs you to rejection. Persistence usually pays off, however, and I typically am able to trade my things for stuff that would cost more than I could ever get for cash if I just tried to sell my item outright. I've seen my share of rant responses, thats for sure.

This makes way too much sense... please delete... :D

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 1

the best ads are the ones where they compare their 20+ year old speakers to what the new current ones cost. or their rusted out classic car to what a similar car sold for on ebay or barret jackson auction.

"i have a pair of 1986 corner horns for $4,500, thats half the price of what they cost new" or "these cost $9000 new etc etc"

thats like listing your 1986 ford truck & saying "a new ford trucks cost $30,000 new so this is a great deal at $15,000"

sometimes its not the personality as much as it is the IQ!

• Like 2

I haven't heard of any special certification tests but some of the folks described here would undoubtedly pass any requirements to be a Certified Jerk with a specialty in sleaze. My only significant adventure on CL turned out pretty well. Luck I guess.

• Like 1

Up to a couple of years ago I was a little skidish on the "List" however after really getting some killer deals and realizing tweekers don't own good stuff, The "CL" is the first place I shop, and find if I wait long enough, I get any/everything Im looking for, (and a whole bunch of things I don't).(Ham radios, ATVs).

Ebay, sellers market, CL buyers market.

• Like 5