Do I need new crossovers?

I just feel lucky once i do get money your close so i can save a little on getting my stuff to you...when the day comes that i once again have more money more problems xept 1...my networks will be the talk of the town or at least clarifying the noise that is pissing off my neighbors extremely well!

Since there isn't very much I can say on this topic without it sounding like a "sales pitch" anyways, I've decided not to worry about it, and just say whatever it is I think needs to be said to support my opinion.

I dont take anything you say as a sales pitch dean... which is why I brought it up. To shed light on the fact that despite what business you may have the words and ideas that come from you are well meaning, reiable and helpful.

FYI... I am listening to a previously unlistenable Roy Orbison LP right this second... it's friggen bliss now!

Thank you very much sir.

Edited by Schu

I put new caps on a pair of '85 heresy. It brightened up the sound even more. I think they sound fantastic.

I wouldn't say that installing Sonicaps in my Heresy I's made them "brighter" as I would say clearer. I've had Sonicaps in the Cornwalls and LaScalas but moved on to many new networks from there. I don't see anything wrong with starting with Sonicaps (bargin for the price) but if you are like me you won't be able to stand not knowing how far you can go with replacement networks.

I've been resisting doing anything with my Heresy I's but now you've got me thinking again. DEAN!

Lol.

Any polypropylene, whether it be metallized or film and tin, etc., will make the top section a little brighter. Old caps are going resistive because the dielectric is beginning to break down. So a new polypropylene cap, which has much less resistance (ESR) compared to the old cap, allows more of the signal to pass through -- and you're right, it's also cleaner/clearer.

Im stopping here, because anything more WOULD be a sales pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Are the Heresy IIs intentionally bright, as well?
  • Why do you think Klipsch set the squawker and tweeter in the H1 3 or 4 dB hot?
  • How about other Heritage? Are the Klipschorn, La Scala and Belle set to be bright?

With all of my Heritage, some CDs sound a little too bright, some way too bright, and some just right. SACDs seem to be more uniformly balanced, and Blu-rays of newer movies almost always sound right.

I don't remember how HIIs sound, it's been too long.

The upward tilt of the HI's response curve sounds a little better than they do flat, actually. There is some response anomaly from the woofer, I think, that makes them sound a slightly nasally (that a word?). Having them adjusted flatter helps them blend with my La Scalas better, but by themselves, especially with a subwoofer, Mr. Paul picked the better sound.

The KH, LS and B do sound a little "crisp" in some rooms with some crossovers. Though rated at 104 dB, the K-77-M runs 105+ dB for most of its operating range in the bigger speakers. That works well if your room tends to be absorptive. Besides being the configuration I first loved from Klipsch, I like the Type AA network, because the design of the tweeter section pulls the tweeter down a bit and shapes the output of the tweeter to be flatter.

Hi John,

You say he doesn't need new crossovers, but then admit the Heresy is out of balance, and therefore can benefit from a network design change. Now, by the time this change is fully implemented, only two of the original parts remain, so why not go all the way? The new autotransformers are much better in build quality, and loose windings are not conducive to good performance. ....................................

Hey Dean,

I was just responding to the original question. I don't NEED a motorcycle, ...... ....... but I have 3 in the garage. :D

The response needs to be tipped up a bit at the high corner of the squawker because the polars are narrowing. The amount you need is very dependent on speaker location and room acoustics. I agree the heresy would probably benefit from a slightly hotter woofer though. I would also recommend a pillow inside the cabinet and bracing that rear panel...some of that nasal sound from the woofer is from standing waves and box resonances.

• 6 years later...
55 minutes ago, Mallette said:

No. You need some real speakers. "No highs, no lows...must be Bose." And welcome to the Forum and home of REAL speakers. 

I completely agree with the above.

In 1988 I bought forte loud speakers on the advice of a fellow named of Ken.  I didn't even  have a stereo yet. Ken had a new pair of 601s powered by a carver m400. So at the barracks we did a comparison between the two speakers.

Well there was no compsrison, the forte out performed the Bose in every aspect. 

Highs lows, Clairity, SPLs, dynamics.......