RF7-II tweeter issue

I bought a pair of new RF7-II's back in March. The tweeter of one of the speakers is not working. Klipsch is sending a new tweeter, but they told me they didn't think I was running enough juice to them.

Currently all I'm powering them with is my Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2030 140 wpc. Can anyone recomend maybe a 2 channel 250 wpc amp to go with this receiver? I don't know much about stereo equipment, just know I like the 2 channel sound.

that's nearly an un-answerable question... the choices are very numerous and very personal.

budget is a big component, what are you looking to spend?

Edited by Schu

I do not think you need more power. So put in new tweeter and just listen I think the excuse they gave is bogus . Save your money unless you want a bigger amp but you do not NEED one. Rick

You beat me to it. I agree 100%.

... Klipsch is sending a new tweeter, but they told me they didn't think I was running enough juice to them.

Currently all I'm powering them with is my Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2030 140 wpc. Can anyone recomend maybe a 2 channel 250 wpc amp to go with this receiver? I don't know much about stereo equipment, just know I like the 2 channel sound.

I'm not sure why they told you this. Maybe they were thinking of the fact that a 9 channel unit like the Yamaha puts out a drastically lower amount of power in watts if all channels are operating .... but, as I understand your post, you are only using 2 channels. Right? Yamaha claims that if you are only running 2 channels it puts out a full 140 watts, 20 to 20 K, 8 ohms, at 0.06% THD. That should be more than enough, unless you are playing your music so loudly that you are into clipping ... not likely.

While all Klipsch speakers are very efficient (require very few watts), the Reference series (or some of them) have the reputation of being "hard to drive" for other (impedance/current reasons). I'm not sure this applies to the RF7-II.

Even if you got a 250 wpc amp, that is less than twice the power, therefore less than 3 dB more output (doubling or halving the power results in a 3 dB change).

It is disconcerting when a respected manufacturer says something we can't find a reason for ... did they give you a reason, or comment at length?

Edited by Garyrc

... Klipsch is sending a new tweeter, but they told me they didn't think I was running enough juice to them.

I'm not sure why they told you this. Maybe they were thinking of the fact that a 9 channel unit like the Yamaha puts out a drastically lower amount of power in watts if all channels are operating .... but, as I understand your post, you are only using 2 channels. Right? Yamaha claims that if you are only running 2 channels it puts out a full 140 watts, 20 to 20 K, 8 ohms, at 0.06% THD. That should be more than enough, unless you are playing your music so loudly that you are into clipping ... not likely.

While all Klipsch speakers are very sensitive (require very few watts), the Reference series (or some of them) have the reputation of being "hard to drive" for other (impedance/current reasons). I'm not sure this applies to the RF7-II.

Even if you got a 250 wpc amp, that is less than twice the power, therefore less than 3 dB more output (doubling or halving the power results in a 3 dB change).

It is disconcerting when a respected manufacturer says something we can't find a reason for ... did they give you a reason, or comment at length?

The guy I talked to, at Klipsch, told me that he thought they were under powered. He said that at loud levels the lack of power causes distortion and that he feels this is what caused the tweeter to blow.

He recomended that I get at least a 250 wpc rms amp because that is what the speaker is rated for. To be honest, one of the BIG reasons I bought the RF-7II's is because they are so efficient, and a lot of people told me

that the receiver I bought would be plenty. I don't want to spend more money for amps, but I don't want to damage my speakers either.

Guest Steven1963
He said that at loud levels the lack of power causes distortion and that he feels this is what caused the tweeter to blow.

Somebody on this site not long ago debunked this with a link to an article that stated something along the lines that "under-powered speakers receiving distortion from an amp being pushed to hard would not blow the speakers....(as long as the distortion combined with the clean power didn't go over the rated wattage of the speakers)" It was a convincing article and I wish I had saved the link.

I think your amp has enough power...not to fully utilize the RF-7II's, but enough to give you some VERY loud music.

The problem lies elsewhere, IMHO.

Steve

Edited by Steven1963

Klipsch is a highly efficient speaker. There is tons of knowledge here and I have a great deal of respect for this forums members. The following is my opinion only!

The RF-7 is a power hungry MONSTER!

I was running an original pair of 7's thru a 125 wpc Adcom. Knowing that these beasts could handle much more, I bit the bullet. My search brought to me a mint Yamaha M-80 rated at 250 wpc. The difference was substantial. Bottom end from the 7's could now be felt all the way to the bones. The upgrade was like cracking the throat open of a finely tuned hot rod.

...again, my experience and opinion only

Experimentation is fun :)it can however be costly as well...

Edited by Matt 1970
  • Like 1

He said that at loud levels the lack of power causes distortion and that he feels this is what caused the tweeter to blow.

Somebody on this site not long ago debunked this with a link to an article that stated something along the lines that "under-powered speakers receiving distortion from an amp being pushed to hard would not blow the speakers....(as long as the distortion combined with the clean power didn't go over the rated wattage of the speakers)" It was a convincing article and I wish I had saved the link.

Steve

I've seen it argued from both sides. The "underpowered amp blowing tweeters" thing has been repeated over and over, but that doesn't mean it's true; maybe it's a factoid, rather than a fact. I'm no expert. I believe it is true that if the power handling of the speakers is not exceeded, the speakers won't blow. As I remember, the counterargument is (may be) that some tweeters (probably not yours) in speaker systems that have high power handling capacity overall are rated at between about 2 watts and 5 watts, unlike woofers which, if installed in their enclosures, are rated at much higher power handling (for instance 100 watts continuous, 500 watts peak). This would cause NO PROBLEM most of the time in the playing of music, since the very high frequencies are often 20 dB lower than the signal in the bass or midrange. So, to blow a 5 watt power handling tweeter, the overall power in midrange and bass could be as much as 20 dB higher (500 watts), and, with a big amp, everything would be O.K.. BUT if the amplifier is driven beyond its capacity, and clipping is produced, there may be high frequency byproducts of more than 5 watts, that would never occur in music with an amp that is not overdriven, that are tweeter damaging (someone said like running squarewaves through the system). I have no idea which side is right.

" I think the excuse they gave is bogus"

+1

"I've seen it argued from both sides. The "underpowered amp blowing tweeters" thing has been repeated over and over, but that doesn't mean it's true; maybe it's a factoid, rather than a fact."

Clipping hurts nothing, only excessive long-term average power or mechanical damage kills drivers.

Clipping cause damage due to a DC current that leads to over heating of the voice coil. I have a 140 watt avr and don't hesitate to turn the dial to 0. The RF 7 have not shown any problems running on the avr. The OP avr is fine and music should not be a problem. Most likely the tweeter was defective.

• Like 1