Considering Upgrading from 103" to DIY 130" AT Screen

Youthman

• Moderators

In 1 week, I will have a third LaScala. In order to accommodate the third LaScala, I realize I will need to redesign my false wall.

Currently my screen is 103" at 2.35:1 aspect ratio. My thought is to upgrade to a DIY 130" diagonal AT screen and place the three LaScalas behind the AT Screen.

I taped a bed sheet to the false wall and found that with the projector currently at a 12’ throw distance, I can zoom up to a 110” diagonal at 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
Looking at http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE3000-projection-calculator-pro.htm if I use my 2x zoom and move my throw distance further back to 13’6”, I could get up to a 140” image which would allow for the 130" diagonal screen.
My screen has always looked great quality wise and coming from a 32" TV, 103 was a HUGE upgrade when I first built the HT 5 years ago. Although it has always looked great, I've never felt that the image was massively immersive like you feel when at the movie theater.
Just trying to get some input.

TheaterRoom1.jpeg

• Like 1

Go bigger youth. Your screen does look small on that wall especially with your high ceilings. I'm just ready to go from 16x9 to a 2.35! Mine from the front row is 106" at 12 feet. It's immersive with 16x9 content but not very with 2.35 which is almost anything we watch down there. I'd like to have a 120" here at this house. When I move I'd like to have a 16' wife room with about a 140-150"

• Moderators

Should I really rip down my false wall and start over. LOL. My wife thinks I'm crazy but she has never really understood the whole audio hobby anyways.

Earlier this week, I purchased her a beautiful Dining Room table with 8 chairs and a matching China Cabinet and Hutch for $1200 on Craigslist. The lady paid $4800 for the set a few years ago. Our previous table was a $300 table from Sams that sat 6 people. I tried to reason with her that we didn't "need" a new dining room set but we bought it because it was bigger, much nicer and it provided an added benefit by allowing us to seat more people since we already have a family of 6.

I suggested that the upgrade to the HT was similar. We would be getting a bigger screen, better sound and it would be an added benefit to the HT by having all 3 identical speakers behind the AT Screen. Her reply was "but you can't sit more people in the HT". LOL She's a trip. :lol:

dining-room-4.jpg

dining-room-5.jpg

• Moderators
What are you looking for input on?

Am I crazy for even considering upgrading? I know you can always upgrade but I guess I struggle with at what point do I become content with what I have. I'm not dissatisfied with any of the HT. I just realize it can be better and I probably will have very little if any cost in it after I sell my RF-83, RC-64 and my 103" screen.

Guess I'm just looking for reasons why I should upgrade (probably have no problem getting help here).

But I also need help with things like screen size, will my current projector be bright enough for a 130" screen? Then there is design.

Awhile back, when I was considering upgrading my screen, wakejunkie drew up some concepts in Google Sketchup.

I'm thinking this design would work well, reduce the screen 130" and bring the screen out to accomodate the 3 LaScalas.

home-theater-redesign1.jpg

• Moderators

Go bigger youth. Your screen does look small on that wall especially with your high ceilings.

Yeah, the screen is 8' wide but isn't very high.

I'm just ready to go from 16x9 to a 2.35! Mine from the front row is 106" at 12 feet. It's immersive with 16x9 content but not very with 2.35 which is almost anything we watch down there.

That was my logic. I built the HT to primarily watch Bluray movies and most of them are in 2.35:1 so I wanted to set my screen up like you see in the movies. I love the 2.35:1. People come over and they aren't used to seeing a screen that wide.

I'm just still trying to convince myself it will be worth the effort of redoing the entire front wall and switching from RF-83 / RC-64 to 3 LaScalas behind an AT Screen.

It is worth it. The goal for most of us is to find the best quality audio/video we can and hopefully that means trumping the theater. If you make the changes now, you can later upgrade to pro-gear of some sorts if you feel like it. Either way it's an upgrade and worth it. IMO your screen size as it is - is a bit small for what you have in the room. You have a nice dedicated room fully built with awesome sound. A 140" screen will take your room to a whole new level.

On a different note, the LaScala's are that much better huh? I can't say I'm surprised really.

• Like 1

What are you looking for input on?

Am I crazy for even considering upgrading? I know you can always upgrade but I guess I struggle with at what point do I become content with what I have. I'm not dissatisfied with any of the HT. I just realize it can be better and I probably will have very little if any cost in it after I sell my RF-83, RC-64 and my 103" screen.

Guess I'm just looking for reasons why I should upgrade (probably have no problem getting help here).

But I also need help with things like screen size, will my current projector be bright enough for a 130" screen? Then there is design.

Awhile back, when I was considering upgrading my screen, wakejunkie drew up some concepts in Google Sketchup.

I'm thinking this design would work well, reduce the screen 130" and bring the screen out to accomodate the 3 LaScalas.

home-theater-redesign1.jpg

You should upgrade, but at some point you need to be content. If the Lascalas aren't going to do it skip them, decide what you want the end game to be and save up for that. I am finally done with the upgrade thing. What I have will last me the rest of my life and it is a great feeling.

• Moderators
A 140" screen will take your room to a whole new level.

See, I knew I came to the right place. You guys have no problem feeding the addiction. :lol:

On a different note, the LaScala's are that much better huh? I can't say I'm surprised really.

The reason I haven't sold the RF-83 / RC-64 just yet is Billy is driving down from SC with the LaScala and I want to do a direct A/B comparison with all 3 up front. I'll bring the RC-64 down from the top of the false wall and place it on top of the center LaScala. That way, I'm truly making a fair comparison. The RC-64 being 8ft off the ground isn't exactly the ideal placement, even though it is angled downwards.

• Like 1

• Moderators
You should upgrade, but at some point you need to be content.

To be honest, I'm very content with what I have. Other than wakejunkie, I don't know anyone personally that is local that has a setup like mine. Willland has a very similar setup, just not the dedicated HT and projection screen. So it's not like I'm trying to have a better setup than my core friends. If I didn't have a HT, I would be content. Maybe it's just the excitement of changing it up a bit and in the process, receiving some significant upgrades.

If the Lascalas aren't going to do it skip them, decide what you want the end game to be and save up for that.

If the 3 LaScalas blow me away and offer even more clarity and dynamics than the RF-83 / RC-64, then to me, it would be worth redesigning my front wall. If they sound similar, (which from my initial testing the LaScalas are definitely clearer and offer more detail), then I have no desire to increase my screen size for a lateral move in sound.

• Like 3

• Moderators
IMO your screen size as it is - is a bit small for what you have in the room. You have a nice dedicated room fully built with awesome sound. A 140" screen will take your room to a whole new level.

Yeah, originally I wanted to go with a 110" or possibly a 120" screen but because of the room needed to accommodate the RF-83's on the side, 103" was as large as I could go since it was not an AT screen.

suggested that the upgrade to the HT was similar. We would be getting a bigger screen, better sound and it would be an added benefit to the HT by having all 3 identical speakers behind the AT Screen. Her reply was "but you can't sit more people in the HT". LOL She's a trip. :lol:

Youthman that is just what wife would say. The HT is your baby. My wife would be OK if I had those little cube speakers although she does not mind all the gear in the basement. I like the clean look of hidden audio gear. You know all of are OCD with this hobby, lol. All I can say is let it burn, baby burn, ha ha. I was looking at an 80 in. TV the other day, I just thought I would bring some wood to the fire, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

DSC_4496.jpg

What about something similar to this, not a solid wall but just built as open framed beams so no acoustic problems of a wall. The stand below the center could be built like a table with your subwoofer below the center channel, while either one or both of the stands below the Left & Right fronts could be built as equipment racks to hold your systems components. The screen could be mounted to the wall frame and the top, sides and bottom could then be finished in either acoustically transparent black material and/or possibly theater curtains. a curtain below the screen would also allow access to your equipment when needed.

• Like 1

I know nothing about screens and projectors, so I have a couple of newbie questions.

If you upgrade the size of your screen, do you also need to upgrade your projector? I would think "yes."

And two, are projectors/screens good for general TV watching? I would guess "no" for this one.

I would think a good upgrade would be to 4K when prices drop and 4K content becomes available, and I would think that upgrading the screen to accommodate bigger/better/more speakers would also be a good reason to upgrade.