Can you Upgrade Components in RB-81iis?

I've never modified or upgraded internal components of my speakers. I considered it when I had my set of KG4s but didn't pull the trigger. I just scored a sweet deal on a set of RB-81iis. I had budgeted for new speakers and the RBs came in well under that budget, so I'm finding other ways to spend that money. I was wondering what upgrades I could perform or have performed?

Edited by johnnydrama

why would you do that?

It appears by your signature that you upgraded your Cornwalls..... why did you do that?

That's what this forum is about, or what I see most, is improving our equipment and listening experience.

I'm just asking if there is a cost/benefit of swapping out some of the internals?

Edited by johnnydrama
  • Like 1

"why" IS the answer.... but it must have been missed.

good luck with that, and if you do happen to find a way to "upgrade" a book shelf 81... post it up so the rest of us can see.

Edited by Schu

IF they are under Warranty, you will Void the Warranty.

A consideration. Bet they sound nice as is!

They certainly do sound great. And they are not under warranty. My point is I went from spending $1500 on a pair of speakers to only spending $490. I'm not well versed when it comes to upgrading components, but if there was something that could be done or something someone could offer, I'd be interested.

• Like 1

If there is, someone will be along to say, eventually.

Nice buy then and save your money for other Klipsch if so desired.

Those are new enough not to have much if any deterioration of capacitors,etc...Good Fortune

Edited by billybob

I've never modified or upgraded internal components of my speakers. I considered it when I had my set of KG4s but didn't pull the trigger. I just scored a sweet deal on a set of RB-81iis. I had budgeted for new speakers and the RBs came in well under that budget, so I'm finding other ways to spend that money. I was wondering what upgrades I could perform or have performed?

Here is some info to get started. Do you have any specific goals or ideas in mind? If you want to do much you will need to figure out how to open up your loudspeakers and remove both the horn and the woofer. I have a set of RB61 but have not opened them I suppose that they are physically very similar with respect to driver fixing. has anyone here removed the horn assembly from the RB81? Pictures would help for those who might be interested. Best regards Moray James.

Frequency Response: 44Hz-24KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible Low Frequency Driver: 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofer HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1400Hz ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing port INPUTS: Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp HEIGHT: 19" (48.4cm) WIDTH: 9.3" (23.5cm) DEPTH: 12.3" (31.2cm) with grille WEIGHT: 27.5lbs (12.5kg) MOUNTING: Dual bottom mount 1/4"-20 threaded inserts FINISHES: Black Ash woodgrain vinyl Built From: 2010

I apologize if my post was really that stupid to warrant your responses.

Nothing stupid about your inquiry. It is just that the 81II's sound pretty darn good out of the box. While I am sure your HK does a pretty good job, you may need some quality amplification to get that little bit more you are looking for.

My point is I went from spending $1500 on a pair of speakers to only spending $490. I'm not well versed when it comes to upgrading components, but if there was something that could be done or something someone could offer, I'd be interested.

You could just add this https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149871-fs-anthem-pva-5-amplifier-lower-price-30000-shipped/ and you would be good to go.

You would be amazed at the detail it would add and the punch to the midbass/midrange.

My NAD T773 AVR has quite a bit of juice on it's own, but when I added the Anthem into the mix, my RB-35's came alive.

Bill

Edited by willland

I was wondering what upgrades I could perform or have performed?

Klipsch tends to skimp a little when it comes to the capacitors and resistors. Engineering mentality: "Cheap stuff measures the same as the good stuff". Marketing mentality: "no one sees, understands, or cares about the crossover". Bean Counters: "You get $9 to make a crossover for this loudspeaker".

Yeah, you can do some nice things to those.

• Like 1

I was wondering what upgrades I could perform or have performed?

Klipsch tends to skimp a little when it comes to the capacitors and resistors. Engineering mentality: "Cheap stuff measures the same as the good stuff". Marketing mentality: "no one sees, understands, or cares about the crossover". Bean Counters: "You get $9 to make a crossover for this loudspeaker".

Yeah, you can do some nice things to those.

Exactly what I wanted to hear, from exactly who I was hoping to hear from. In fact... I almost titled the thread, " Can I DeanG my RB-81s?"

I'd be interested in hearing more about what I could do to them or what you would recommend and what it may cost to do it. Thanks.