Solar freaking roadways........

oscarsear

If this IS real.......... one has to wonder about the capitalization required for the transition. What's the payback time frame? On the other hand the infrastructure needs the work, the country burns money on more foolish things and I'm real enthusiastic about roads that defrost themselves.

Finally got the link to open(slow computer)...Can see this for maybe private driveways, or walkways,other but gee whizz, highways?

Bridges that freeze up in the winter, maybe.

Interesting idea, but maybe not practical, as in $$$.

Thanks

Could just be a matter of economies of scale. Turn this into mass production and unit cost drops. If the durability purported is factual - the duration of use and its scope of practicality could warrant the costs. Wonder what sort of underlayment is required?

• Like 1

Yes, I can see that. Fact is, we do need something to put folk to work. Do the bridges first as a test, or some other place where a hazard. I wonder too about the foundation, durability and upkeep. Dealing with the local,state and federal DOT should be a blast.

Yes, I can see that. Fact is, we do need something to put folk to work. Do the bridges first as a test, or some other place where a hazard. I wonder too about the foundation, durability and upkeep. Dealing with the local,state and federal DOT should be a blast.

Thinking about this - I'd have to think that it is an all or nothing proposition just from an electrical engineering standpoint - continuity, etc......... Those massive solar arrays will need some type of capacitor storage, etc........... I doubt if they can be done in a piecemeal fashion economically.

• Like 1

There are a thousand reasons why it won't happen. That doesn't mean it shouldn't. German autobahns dig down twice as far as our interstates. Can't we do something right for once? Or would we rather listen to a bunch of brainwashed hacks about how they built their business all by themselves?

Think about it. Price tag? The energy would recoup the cost. It's not just making roads better, it's building power plants at the same time. What has been a primary focus of our foreign policy if not the security of our energy needs? You can begin to see who would be against this sort of freedom.

This reminds me of Married with Children when Steve Rhodes wanted the treasury to mint a 99 cent coin because everything costs x dollars and 99 cents. Al said "What about tax?"

I am a firm believer in solar and plan to add panels to my house. But won't a solar road get dirty? Brake dust is everywhere. Asphalt also has to withstand many load cycles which means cars driving over them continually loading and unloading the glass/plastic (whatever it is). This stuff will case harden over time (bend a piece of wire back and forth and watch it turn white and get brittle, same thing, has to do with changes to the crystal structure).

Now solar "shingles" or roof panels (or siding). yes! Think of how hot your attic gets and what we do to get rid of the heat. That heat can be used to make power and the panels will stay relatively clean.

very interesting. its came a long ways in even the last 6 years. my exwife wrote a paper on this subject for iu(6 yrs ago) and although it wasnt a blank slate then leaps and bounds have been made to make this happen. very interesting

• Like 1

Maintenance costs? Idiot hooligans with sledge hammers or other forms of vandalism? Kids finding vulnerabilities and hacking? We can't even keep HWY lines painted or shredded tires off the road, much less keeping the reflectors replaced when needed. I guess in Utopia this would be ideal, so to speak. No way our Gub'ment takes on something like this, we can't even be competitive building basic solar panels with total funding behind Uncle Sam. I DO however like the idea a lot and although I would much rather have a personal solar setup on my roof, this idea has legs and may end up branching into other avenues for the times to come.

• Like 1

I've looked at the numbers, Paul Klipsch had button explaining the 5.6 year payback (Bull Shit). The thing that bugs me most is the second article calling people Conservatives who want more government control, I don't care what you call yourself if you want more government control you are a LIBERAL!

Thinking about this - I'd have to think that it is an all or nothing proposition just from an electrical engineering standpoint - continuity, etc......... Those massive solar arrays will need some type of capacitor storage, etc........... I doubt if they can be done in a piecemeal fashion economically.

Surely a test piece of road is in order before a statwide rollout. What if it is not all that...

• Like 1