Question about foreign material (glue?) behind new RF-7II tweeter screen

Schwa

I was hooking my new speakers up last night and noticed some "glue" or foreign material behind the metallic screen that covers one of the RF-7's tweeters (you can see it at about the 10 o'clock position in the picture). Is this something to be concerned about as far as audio performance; i.e. could the glue (or whatever it is) be "blocking" the sound?

I tried using both compressed air and a damp Q-tip to gently move the foreign material and it didn't budge. It ain't moving.

FWIW I ordered the speakers from Sound Distributors and already have to send my RC-64II back due to a chip in the veneer and a large scratch on the grill. If this issue with the RF-7II's tweeter is purely cosmetic I'll live with it. The RC-64II is no big deal to return since I can ship it normally, but the RF-7II is a significantly larger hassle to return since it'd need to go via freight.

Another alternative would be to simply replace the tweeter assembly at some point if this continues to bug me, but since there aren't any visible screws holding the tweeter to the speaker, this doesn't appear to be a trivial task. I've searched and can't find any instructions or tips from anyone who's removed the tweeter.

The forum's wisdom and advice is appreciated!

RF-7II_tweeter.jpg

Edited by Schwa

I dont think that will affect sound not large enough to cause a problem.........................others with more experience in horn properties, and speaker waves will chime in but I think its safe to say you are ok (other than the eye sore, which once noticed I would be constantly drawn to :blink: )

if it were me I would contact Klipsch support and send your pictures. I would not mention using compressed air and I would suggest that you not do that in the future as you can damage your diaphragm that way. This is not much of a big deal sound wise but hey you just bought brand new speakers and they should be that way. Best regards Moray James

• Moderators

That is interesting. I doubt it will effect the sound but that's up to you whether or not you want to check with Klipsch to see what they think.

To remove the horn tweeter, you first have to remove the bevel that is attached to the front of the horn with double sided adhesive tape. When I was removing my crossovers for DeanG to upgrade, I thought I was going to have to remove all three speakers so I started with the tweeter first. I was very careful during the removal of the bevel. It sounds like you are breaking it but it's just the adhesive pulling away from the plastic. Once removed, you will have access to the 8 or so screws to remove the tweeter.

if it were me I would contact Klipsch support and send your pictures. I would not mention using compressed air and I would suggest that you not do that in the future as you can damage your diaphragm that way. This is not much of a big deal sound wise but hey you just bought brand new speakers and they should be that way. Best regards Moray James

Compressed air is a bit of a misnomer -- it was an electric air blower and I used it from more than a foot away. It didn't impart a significant amount of force on the tweeter diaphragm.

Another alternative would be to simply replace the tweeter assembly at some point if this continues to bug me, but since there aren't any visible screws holding the tweeter to the speaker, this doesn't appear to be a trivial task.

I think this is being a little obsessive... but they are your speakers.

I just walked over to my purchased new RC64ii... it has a little rim of glue exposed. I dont think I could ever tell the difference sonically whether or not it was there.

Edited by Schu

That is interesting. I doubt it will effect the sound but that's up to you whether or not you want to check with Klipsch to see what they think.

To remove the horn tweeter, you first have to remove the bevel that is attached to the front of the horn with double sided adhesive tape. When I was removing my crossovers for DeanG to upgrade, I thought I was going to have to remove all three speakers so I started with the tweeter first. I was very careful during the removal of the bevel. It sounds like you are breaking it but it's just the adhesive pulling away from the plastic. Once removed, you will have access to the 8 or so screws to remove the tweeter.

Thanks for the reply!! That makes total sense. I'll call Klipsch on Tuesday and see if I can get a new tweeter/horn assembly.

One last question -- how thick was the double-sided tape that holds the bezel on the front of the horn? Was it that foam 3M mounting tape or something thinner?

Edited by Schwa

That does no look right, i think it would at minimum affect the dispersion from the horn with that screen 40% blocked off like that.

If you purchased these new have this taken care of, i can't believe this would pass any quality control inspection.

Thanks Youthman. As I said, I'll probably call Klipsch on Tuesday and order a new tweeter assembly -- I assume they'll provide the horn also (based on some old Reference tweeters I have lying around it looks like the part number for the tweeter is on the horn so it looks like I'll get the whole thing). Now that I know how the bezel comes off I know how to replace the tweeter. Honestly this is for cosmetic reasons only anyway; I emailed Eric at Sound Distributors and he said that based on what he's seen this isn't that unusual -- he said his own RF-7II has something similar.

It was only visible because I was curious what the tweeters looked like up close compared to my RF-82II tweeters so I shined a flashlight in there and saw the glue. I would've never noticed otherwise.

Oh yeah -- what type of double-sided tape did you use to stick the driver bezel back on?

Edited by Schwa

Maybe its just the picture making it look worse.

If its just that little spot as Youthman pointed out i would not be too concerned.

If its as bad as it looks in the picture take action.

It's exactly that little spot that Youthman pointed out. I'm sure it's purely cosmetic. Thanks for all the replies!