Primo pricing for RSW-15

Youthman

OK, pardon my ignorance, but may I ask what is a Heritage Horn? Sounds quite intriguing.....

The Heritage horns are not subwoofers, but full range, Klipsch, 3 way horn speakers in which the even the bass is horn loaded, rather than ported or sealed. What I was pointing out in my post was when you add a non-hornloaded subwoofer to a system that has all other speakers hornloaded, the subwoofer will stand out as being less precise, and a bit more distorted, than the rest of the speakers. This is true even with very good non-horn subs, like the RSW15 that Youthman and I have. The Heritage fully horn loaded speakers include the Klipschorn, the La Scala, and the Belle Klipsch. Another speaker, co-designed by Paul W. Klipsch toward the end of his life, and Roy Delgado, Klipsch engineer, is the Jubilee, which those who have heard it or own it say is an improvement over the three Heritage fully horn loaded models mentioned above. I don't have the final answer as to whether the Jubilee is considered Heritage or not. It can be purchased, in several configurations, directly from Klipsch.

Horn loading a woofer cuts down on Frequency Modulation distortion. Horn loading a subwoofer would be expected to do the same.

If I set my Klipschorns to full range ("Large") on my pre-amp/processor, then switch the RSW15 in and out, the RSW15 makes the system sound a little muddier, although with more and deeper bass. The same thing happens if I use the "Small" setting and roll the Klipschorns off at 80 Hz (as THX and Audyssey recommend) and bring in the RSW15 in at 80 Hz. This really good subwoofer just isn't as clean and clear as the Klipschorns. Several fully horn loaded subwoofers are now available (including a brand new one from Klipsch). They were not available when I bought the RSW15. I need to make some money, then go for it.

Edited by Garyrc

OK, pardon my ignorance, but may I ask what is a Heritage Horn? Sounds quite intriguing.....

The Heritage horns are not subwoofers, but full range, Klipsch, 3 way horn speakers in which the even the bass is horn loaded, rather than ported or sealed. What I was pointing out in my post was when you add a non-hornloaded subwoofer to a system that has all other speakers hornloaded, the subwoofer will stand out as being less precise, and a bit more distorted, than the rest of the speakers. This is true even with very good non-horn subs, like the RSW15 that Youthman and I have. The Heritage fully horn loaded speakers include the Klipschorn, the La Scala, and the Belle Klipsch. Another speaker, co-designed by Paul W. Klipsch toward the end of his life, and Roy Delgado, Klipsch engineer, is the Jubilee, which those who have heard it or own it say is an improvement over the three Heritage fully horn loaded models mentioned above. I don't have the final answer as to whether the Jubilee is considered Heritage or not. It can be purchased, in several configurations, directly from Klipsch.

Horn loading a woofer cuts down on Frequency Modulation distortion. Horn loading a subwoofer would be expected to do the same.

If I set my Klipschorns to full range ("Large") on my pre-amp/processor, then switch the RSW15 in and out, the RSW15 makes the system sound a little muddier, although with more and deeper bass. The same thing happens if I use the "Small" setting and roll the Klipschorns off at 80 Hz (as THX and Audyssey recommend) and bring in the RSW15 in at 80 Hz. This really good subwoofer just isn't as clean and clear as the Klipschorns. Several fully horn loaded subwoofers are now available (including a brand new one from Klipsch). They were not available when I bought the RSW15. I need to make some money, then go for it.

Are you sure you can buy the jub from klipsch? When I bought my 904s I had to go through a dealer who sells them.

Edited by reference_head

The worst part is that he is flipping them. The entire RF-7, RC-7, RB-75, RSW-15 and Yamaha receiver was listed locally for $1,200! I missed it by 45 mins. Then a week later I see everything listed for sale again for $2,800. SMDH!

Yes, of course, a single horn loaded sub will be better than a single RSW-15. I don't doubt that.

However, a single horn loaded sub will not be better than dual RSW-15's. There's a lot of research online about using multiple subs such as this one: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf or this one http://mkloudspeakers.com/pdf/todd-welti-white-paper.pdf.

I highly doubt the less distortion you'll see with one horn loaded sub, will ever make up for room modes that dual subs can greatly tame (some folks state seeing improvements of 10dB-30dB frequencies, I don't doubt this based on my experience). Personally, I would rank room response as the most important factor and then the low distortion that a horn loaded sub can provide. You can have the world's best sub, and still have nulls at certain frequencies due to the room, sub location, etc...

Now if you have room for dual DTS-10 subs, that would be an awesome set up. This is what I'd like to run myself if I had the space. If you have the time and space go for it! You'll have a great system I'm sure.

The RSW-15 has a huge surface area, much bigger than an 18" sub.

The Danley DTS20 has a single 12" woofer and the DTS10 has (2) 12" woofers. It is my understanding that either one of these would out perform the RSW-15 (and most conventional subs) in both output and lower distortion.

Yeah, Klipsch doesn't seem to want to offer any of these sub designs any more that use passive radiator(s). I really like the sound of my RT-12d's with dual 12" passive radiators and one active. And being able to corner load it is a very clever design.

I'm not sure what pre-built sub is better for the money unless you DIY. I think cone surface area (two 15" cones on the RSW-15) trumps any of the SVS and similar subs, but I don't sub shop so I could be wrong.

Klipsch should start selling these. People are paying more for a used sub then it would cost to get a better sub brand new. Crazy :)

• Moderators

That Rythmik looks like a quality sub and would likely be a good match against the RSW-15.

I haven't heard the RT-12D but I had (2) RT-10D against my single RSW-15 and the RSW-15 outperformed both RT-10D as well as my previous (2) Velodyne HGS15's.

• Like 1

Passive radiator subs don't have port noise so, they are preferred by music lovers. From a construction standpoint, they are harder to tune the box due to the extra mass of the drivers and radiator. They are very efficient sub and should mate well with Klipsch speakers. They give up a little on the low end compared to a similar vented sub.

Yeah, Klipsch doesn't seem to want to offer any of these sub designs any more that use passive radiator(s). I really like the sound of my RT-12d's with dual 12" passive radiators and one active. And being able to corner load it is a very clever design.

I'm not sure what pre-built sub is better for the money unless you DIY. I think cone surface area (two 15" cones on the RSW-15) trumps any of the SVS and similar subs, but I don't sub shop so I could be wrong.

Klipsch should start selling these. People are paying more for a used sub then it would cost to get a better sub brand new. Crazy :)

Well the #s say it can't. Not sure if your just saying that out if the blue. But take a look at the sub data.

I think cone surface area (two 15" cones on the RSW-15) trumps any of the SVS and similar subs, but I don't sub shop so I could be wrong.

SVSound does an incredible job with a single 13 inch woofer.

SVS-SB13-Ultra-subwoofer-driver.jpg

With that said, the RSW15 is one incredible subwoofer.

Bill

Edited by willland

The RSW-15 is an out of production sub from 2001 or earlier. When you say any SVS sub, not only is this incorrect by the dB output figures of what is available today, you are also comparing discontinued subs like the 300 pound SVS B4PLUS that had 4 ACTIVE 12 inch woofers, which at 130 dB output trumps the RSW-15 badly. Don't get me wrong, I love Klipsch, but Klipsch has never been at the top of what is available in a home theatre sub.

I went to Classic Stereo in Lima Ohio and demoed a brand new RSW-15 against my Velodyne HGS-18II back in the day because I could buy a new RSW-15 for what a used Velodyne HGS-18II was bringing on eBay. When both subs were fully cranked up, the Klipsch was bottoming the former on it's active 15 AND the Velodyne consistently put out 2 more dB, sometimes hitting 3 dB without a hiccup.

Roger