building my own la scala ii's

Jorjen,

We call it 3/4" inch (we still don't wear shoes and can't read so well around here!) but it is a 4 x 8' sheet. $56 It also comes in 5 x 5'. About two years ago you couldn't get it and if you found some it was $125 for 4 x 8' sheet. Heavy as crud. works great.

I've got some 1.25" 4 x 8' sheets of birchply whichI might use for base which should do the trick. I could add 1/5" mdf on outside if necessary if I wanted to make it really heavy. Probably would veneer it in cherry and use the port mod.

I can't find anything from PWK about changing the structural rigidity. I remember reading something about the box being part of the sound and if you change the box you change the sound... don't recall if that was PWK writing that, however.

I know it was mentioned in an old article I have on horn speakers, with regard to a Frazier Dixielander. The cabinets are rather small, and constructed of 1/2 or 5/8 plywood. The article said the cabinets would resonate, and speculated on how it changed the sound.

• Like 1

I am sure all cabinets resonate to some extent... so changing the designed resonate frequency set fourth by the factory by stiffening the cabinets makes them resonate at a non complementary frequency?

I can't find anything from PWK about changing the structural rigidity. I remember reading something about the box being part of the sound and if you change the box you change the sound... don't recall if that was PWK writing that, however.

box panel motion resonance and that is distortion. eliminate the resonance eliminate the distortion. so yes you will be changing the sound. best regards Moray James.

I am sure all cabinets resonate to some extent... so changing the designed resonate frequency set fourth by the factory by stiffening the cabinets makes them resonate at a non complementary frequency?

that's a very odd idea you have there. all resonance is unwanted and to remove as much resonance form a cabinet structure as you can is a good thing. manufacturers can only spend so much money building a cabinet so they strike the best compromise they can with available funds. the general goal is to push cabinet resonances up higher than the bandpass of the driver that way the driver cannot excite the cabinets structural resonance. best regards moray james.