What am I seeing on my screen?

Scrappydue

So last night I sat up my new 138" 2.35 elite acoustic pro2 screen. Size is awesome. Frame is fantastic. However, on bright scenes I can see the fabric of the screen. Easily. Even from my back row. Darker stuff I can't see it. Only light colored skins and sky stuff like that. Not sure if it's the morie effect or what. I don't know what to tell elite. I think it's just the screen fabric. Which sucks cause I read the the acoustic pro 2 didn't have this effect like the previous acoustic pro 1. Got a week to send it back to amazon. Gotta get it figured out quick. Elite said I could send them a picture of the screen and they would go from there.

Edited by Scrappydue

Moire effect would be VERY discernible as a a pattern... if it's just the fabric you are seeing and no patterning, it's not Moire.

If you DO SEE a pattern, there isn't anything you can do about it except to rotate one of the two interference sources(projector or screen).

You can TUNE most of a moire pattern out, but not out completely unless your two sources are PERFECTLY aligned.

AniloxBasics_Moire_01_b694b5a692.jpg

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

so is it in fact Moire you are seeing?

that would totally suck if it were mine.

Like I had mentioned... if you can, perhaps you can "clock" one of the two elements???

in printing we use various screen angles to control Moire.. usually like 45º, 75º, 105º, 0º and there are other combinations.

Edited by Schu

ok well after i came home i did as they instructed and sent in pics to them for warranty purpose. it is just clear as day the fabric that i can see. i read that the acoustic pro2 was better than the original. well whoever said that was wrong. i can see from the front row at 12 and even easily at 18 feet in the back row. in fact, most of you will understand this, EVEN MY WIFE POINTED IT OUT BEFORE I SAID SOMETHING. you know if the wife notices it its noticeable for sure. so i have read some places upgrading people to the 4k at no cost. if that is what is done i will give it a shot. if not i will send it back and be going the diy route with seymour as i inquired a price today on a 140" from them and about pooped my pants when i saw the price for non diy unit.

• Like 1

My seymour screen was as much as my projector. If I knew I wasn't going to need to raise it and lower it I could have saved some cash. I would get seymour scrappy. All the reading I did all pointed to them for a AT screen. You pay more but its the best.

I am patiently awaiting mine.... :)

I feel like a cheapskate now, I just shoot mine onto my wall that I painted with flat white ceiling paint. Hope you come up with something you are happy with. Never really went in for the whole screen thing myself. Unless it's one of those frosted ones and the projector shoots onto the rear of it. And that's only because the projector would be far away and I wouldn't hear it.

Probably a waste of time to post a pic since you can't really tell how good it looks. But here's my Po' Mans screen. :D

post-57173-0-19940000-1403323445_thumb.j

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

I feel like a cheapskate now, I just shoot mine onto my wall that I painted with flat white ceiling paint. Hope you come up with something you are happy with. Never really went in for the whole screen thing myself. Unless it's one of those frosted ones and the projector shoots onto the rear of it. And that's only because the projector would be far away and I wouldn't hear it.

Probably a waste of time to post a pic since you can't really tell how good it looks. But here's my Po' Mans screen. :D

Looks good to me :)

Imo with the image right at the top you would gain a lot of pq if you could stop the reflection on the celing. A few black AT pannels might be all you need. Painting it would be better but not sure if that's an option.

• Like 1

Looks good to me :)

Imo with the image right at the top you would gain a lot of pq if you could stop the reflection on the celing. A few black AT pannels might be all you need. Painting it would be better but not sure if that's an option.

agreed! I have a black king size sheet tacked to the ceiling. Made a huge difference. And pin holes won't be noticeable once I take it down.
  • Like 1

your not crazy, that's exactly what I do as well. I have a one wall that is dedicated to this. if you wanted to take this a step further, there is some special paint you can get exactly for the purpose. I couldn't be bothered, flat white is working fine for me. life is good when you measure your screen size in ft and I use the whole 12 ft for the screen size. It works for me. Maybe sometime I will invest in something screens and such. im a little embarrassed to say but for now im still buying speakers. sheesh... wait, no im not...

• Like 1

Moire effect would be VERY discernible as a a pattern... if it's just the fabric you are seeing and no patterning, it's not Moire.

If you DO SEE a pattern, there isn't anything you can do about it except to rotate one of the two interference sources(projector or screen).

You can TUNE most of a moire pattern out, but not out completely unless your two sources are PERFECTLY aligned.

AniloxBasics_Moire_01_b694b5a692.jpg

Closest iv come to an acid flashback in years...... :wacko::blink::blink2::blink2:

• Like 1

Each the paint thing would work great IF I didn't have three huge speakers four huge subs I needed to hide. AT is the only way to go.

Just an update for everyone. I have been in contact with elite, sent in the pics they asked for. They asked me to box up the piece of p2 screen and send it to them on my dime, and in return will receive the p3 material free. If you look on their site at screen materials the p3 looks much more promising than the p2 material. I'll keep everyone posted as this could be a killer screen for the money.