SVS PB-2000

K5SS

Well, since I couldn't locate a RT-12 and nobody here likes the SW-311 I have decided to look at SVS again. I am wanting two subs again and I have read very positive reviews of this new SVS. Anybody here tried it yet? The reviews are killer at it's $800 price point.

No. The thing is a beast but I might give it to my dad, he loves it.

I am always switching out subs. Buying new subwoofers gives me great enjoyment for some, demented reason. I am also considering getting another cylinder SVS, I love how small the footprint is.

WOW, don't think you'll be able to top the Rythmik with anything except a SubM or Cap. I defiantly wouldn't go from the Rythmik to SB2000's. You'd be better served with either a PC13 Ultra or PB13 Ultra. Even then, going from a servo 15 to 13's will be a huge drop in performance. Hats off to you; have you thought about DIY?

• Like 1

I have considered buying a flat pack or two but I don't have a garage, so I have talked myself out of it a couple of times. I have also come to the realization that I never listen to anything very loud, the Rythmik is simply overkill for my application. I know that last sentence is blasphemy around these parts but it's the truth.

I have also thought about the PC13 Ultras but they put me up over $3k, would prefer to stay around the $2k range. The budget is ever fluctuating though, I think I like buying HT gear almost as much as I like using it.

• Like 1

Even then, going from a servo 15 to 13's will be a huge drop in performance.

I can't completely agree with that.

Yes the Rythmic digs deeper with more spl's and better distortion numbers down low(12.5Hz to 16Hz) but look at the THD% from 20Hz on up. The SVS PB-13 Ultra is clean as a whistle where it counts most. That's where the rubber hits the road.

Bill

post-24680-0-40920000-1403401684_thumb.p

post-24680-0-81320000-1403401697_thumb.p

• Like 1

first off you don't need a garage to glue some panels together. i did it right in the middle of my home theater room. simply put a cheap sheet down to catch any duratex. didn't get any on anything except for the subs. but hey if you like spending money cause its fun by all means go with some svs cylinders.

Even then, going from a servo 15 to 13's will be a huge drop in performance.

I can't completely agree with that.

Yes the Rythmic digs deeper with more spl's and better distortion numbers down low(12.5Hz to 16Hz) but look at the THD% from 20Hz on up. The SVS PB-13 Ultra is clean as a whistle where it counts most. That's where the rubber hits the road.

Bill

i have read lots of reviews about the pb-13 being much cleaner down low than the rythmik.

No argument or debate intended with previous comment but just wanted to point out that subwoofer "performance" is not all about hitting the low lows, which many in subwoofer land use as the only litmus test.

Rowan6611, forgive me for assuming that you fall into that group.

Bill

Edited by willland

Most well made subwoofers will sound more alike than dramatically different under 40 Hz. The only time they sound different is when they are being over driven and distortion goes up. A decrease of 1or 2 db when a sub is overdriven can lower the distortion value 15-30%. A well made sealed sub and well made vented sub in a calibrated system will sound more alike than dramatically different. High output in the under 20 Hz region is sought by some. The critical bandwidth for most movie is 16-63 Hz. If a sub can't do the under12.5 or 10 Hz stuff with enoug authority, 105 db +, then a sub with more 16 Hz and above output may lead to more pressurization of the room.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

No argument or debate intended with previous comment but just wanted to point out that subwoofer "performance" is not all about hitting the low lows, which many in subwoofer land use as the only litmus test.

Rowan6611, forgive me for assuming that you fall into that group.

Bill

No worries. I was going off all the reviews I've read on the FV. Looking at the CEA you posted I can see where the PB excels. I've got two SVS's myself, and I love them.

I'm in the 16hz and up boat, the sub I'm going to start building is a 20hz tune, with possible usable output down to 16hz. Obviously that is dependent upon the room and location. My reasoning behind my statements wasn't at all based on how well the FV did below 20hz vs the PB. I know there is some great LFE in the sub 16hz area, and having listened to scrappys 4 18's I know what that feels like. But, that isn't something I'm willing to chase, quite yet.

Do what ever makes you happy. It's a hobby and everyone approaches it differently. For me, finding the sub(s) that give me everything I need for both movie and music is all I'm after.

I wouldn't say that I ikel spending money Scrappy, just that I love testing new gear. I think I will try out the PB-2000 since SVS offers a 45 day trial. If I don't like it, I will either try the SB-13 Ultra or the PC-13 Ultra. I will then probably do duals of either version I choose.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the Rythmik and if it had a little smaller footprint, I'd be keeping it. My dad loves it though so that makes getting rid of it a little easier. Love the input guys.

Scoring that RC-64 of CL for $50 has got me back into buying new gear;)

Edited by K5SS

I bought an older SVS from a guy that had dual Seatons. Crazy! Overkill for me but still tons of fun. One day, when I get a dedicated HT they are at the top of the list. Unfortunately that seems a few more years away.

Edited by K5SS

If your looking for a small footprint that packs one heck of a punch then look no farther than the SB13 Ultra. It seems like a huge sub when it wants to get up and party. I still can't believe it does that good of a job for how small it is and duals would be perfect in my 2000 cu ft room.