2nd RT-10d or go DIY?

Arominus

I have a bit of a dilemma, I currently have 1 rt-10d in my theater room, which is a 18'x12' rectangle with everything on the "wide" wall so i can have good driver separation and defeat a nasty standing wave in the "deep/narrow" configuration. The RT does ok in the room, but i've been wanting more than it can give for a while. I had thought about a second RT, but they seem to be a bit hard to find used and the cost is 500-600 on them. I've seen the PE kits with the ultimax 15 and the 18 HO and these interest me, i can grab one of these with an iNuke 3000dsp for about the same money as that second RT-10d... Would i do better with 1 of the PE setups and the iNuke than with 2 RTs? the PE stuff is so cheap it would be fairly trivial to add a second one of those later...... I have a decent amount of room in the corners to fit what i want so size isn't a huge consideration here. The RT-10 is currently corner loaded on my far right.

Thoughts?

Edited by Arominus

Arominus,

Welcome to the forum.

I love my RT-10d twins and also have them corner loaded. Wonderfully musical subs with great punch and speed but of course they don't have the low low end grunt of my Revel B15 and SVS SB13 Plus that is so desired for HT.

If HT is your main objective, look for a used quality 15" or larger subwoofer to fill in down low or of course a DIY sub. If music is your primary goal, another RT-10d would be great but as mentioned, hard to find.

Where are you located?

What is your max budget for a second sub?

Bill

My concern would be that the PE stuff would not have much resale value if you didn't like it, another RT would at least hold its value.

here's the easy part about that. diy 15 or 18 ultimax will smoke check the rt-10d in every aspect.

hers is my vote. sell your current rt-10d and don't look back. order two dayton ho 18's two 4 cu ft boxes that they come packaged with and then find you an amp. or you could order the stereo integrity drivers that i have as they allow for better wiring for the inukes. you could get two dual 4 ohm 18's and then grab you a inuke 3000dsp for a few hundred and you will be so happy you left the rt-10d behind.

and if you wanna look through a build mine is in my signature below. super easy! i can answer any questions you have

Edited by Scrappydue

If HT is your main objective, look for a used quality 15" or larger subwoofer to fill in down low or of course a DIY sub. If music is your primary goal, another RT-10d would be great but as mentioned, hard to find.

Good point. For some reason I always think HT when I think sub if someone doesn't specify.

Im in colorado and i've got 600ish to play with. I'm not in a huge hurry at the moment to do anything but i do want to figure out my plan of attack. I do listen to some music but not seriously, i mainly game and watch movies/tv on the system, its a theater/arcade first.

Edited by Arominus

Im in colorado and i've got 600ish to play with.

Here's another idea.

Sell the RT and offer seller $1000.00 for these.

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/ele/4528362559.html

Or you could keep the RT-10d and offer $375.00 for this.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4517465741.html

I had a pair of the Paradigm Servo 15's combined with an RSW-10d and they did a wonderful job for both music and HT in my 16W x 33L x 12H family room/kitchen/nook combo.

Bill

If your budget is tight and you need some bass check out a basic subwoofer kit & amp from parts express.

Sub kit

Amp

Add a can of primer, a quart of Rust Oleum and a good brush and you're all set, under $600 :emotion-21:

You could add 3 foot long 2" ports to the cabinet and it would get you down to ~ -3dB @ 27 Hz

Sealed version would be ~ -3dB @ 45 Hz -5dB @ 35 Hz

Edited by jason str

diy 15 or 18 ultimax will "smoke check" the rt-10d in every aspect.

What does that mean exactly? :unsure::)

Bill

you know what it means bill lol.

To the op, like I said go dual 18's and don't look back the cabinets aren't big at all and go to single digits. I used to have dual Svs PB-13 ultras. This was after three rsw-10d's. I've owned the rt-10d also. The 18's trump everything I have owned. The stereo integrity drivers are the best nah for your buck for the sealed cabinets. And they also require a much smaller amp than the Dayton's. You could sell your current rt-10d for 500-600 and have some change left over after building a pair of 18's with an inuke 3000dsp.

Im really liking that SI 18 now, illl get that pre-ordered and get a box and amp. Then I'll decide what to do with the RT. Thanks for the input guys.

alright!!! I think you'll be the second guy to build these now! Said you weren't in a hurry seems like the perfect time to take advantage of a pre order price. You will love them!! I wish I had known about them much sooner.

Oh and i found the amp, forgot that my dad has a Carver M-500t that i can bridge down for this bad boy, make this an even cheaper experiment. The carver is a beast!

Old school Carvers are awesome. Might want to look into a MiniDSP, Behringer feedback destroyer, or something else that will allow you to manage response. Looks like your PC setup is really nice, so adding a MiniDSP and learning REW will be easy :D

Oh, welcome to the forums