Scala bass bin with curved sides

Arash

Arash, I just had a thought. What if you made your own plywood? That way you could laminate it in the form you want, and if you created a form, you could repeat the procedure over and over to make the other speakers in your system. I have no idea how much pressure it takes, but if you made it right, perhaps you could park your car on it overnight. :)

• Like 1

Calculate

1.the chamber volume

2. Horn lengh

3. Mouth area

4. Throat area

Play around in horn response and you will discover that flare does little to change the bass. Parabolic section, conical, exponential or hyperbolic change some few dB and the roundness of the high pass knee. The chamber volume changes that roundness to. The low pass frequency is determined mainly by lenght of the horn and the unevenness/"peakyness" of the response is set by mouth area and radiation angle. Curvature and implementations of slots and bends will affect the real life low pass response but will do little in the bass response.

I'll do that and post the numbers here

Go bigger 8-)

I don't want to get very big with this cabinet. so far it's about the same size as a Volti Audio VIttora is so it should work fine.

the FH1 shown above in yellow is really your very best option. It is better than a Belle. If you want better than that you must go to a straight horn not a folded one. Best regards Moray James.

PS: take a look at some of John Inlow's designs http://www.inlowsound.com/

thanks for the tip. I don't want a cabinet that big, I want a optimized LS with curved side.

thanks,

Arash, I just had a thought. What if you made your own plywood? That way you could laminate it in the form you want, and if you created a form, you could repeat the procedure over and over to make the other speakers in your system. I have no idea how much pressure it takes, but if you made it right, perhaps you could park your car on it overnight. :)

that would also be an option. I can use 3mm BB plywood and glue them under vacuum press to shape as I want.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Actually I believe the Dog House walls should be curved into a bullet shape this improves the directivity match at cross over to the mid-range. I've done a testing prototypes and that's what I found. Difficult to build using sand filled side curved panels also could change the flare rate but the directivity off axis was much improved

I would be cautious adding "curves" in the horn path.

That back wall of the build looks concerning to me.  If I were building this I would put a hard reflectors oin there and no curves.

The curved walls of your exit or definitely going to look aesthetically pleasing.

You build very quality stuff....looking forward to seeing your results.

etape8.JPG

I'm a big fan of this picture.  I like the throat and the splitter there and ramps.  I also like the full reflector at the turn forward. 

You could do the "curving stuff" afterwards to make the front/exit look appealing.

Edited by jwc
  • Like 1

etape8.JPG

There was a thread testing this theory.  If memory serves me correct ( which I doubt it does), adding those reflectors didn't make much of a difference.  But that may have been based on the driver used as well.  I see a lot of resemblance to the Jubilee.

• Like 2

etape8.JPG

There was a thread testing this theory.  If memory serves me correct ( which I doubt it does), adding those reflectors didn't make much of a difference.  But that may have been based on the driver used as well.  I see a lot of resemblance to the Jubilee.

PWK didn't seem to do the reflectors at the first turn.  He did put ~ 3/4 reflectors in the jube.

The benefits....if it were to be argued would be for improvement 300-`600Hz. 

• Like 1

That back wall of the build looks concerning to me.  If I were building this I would put a hard reflectors oin there and no curves.

The curved walls of your exit or definitely going to look aesthetically pleasing.

JWC,

I don't usually speak for someone else but I think Arash already completed his "Anahita" curved side LaScala:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154102-anahita-speaker-project/?hl=anahita

Correct me if I am wrong Arash

By my figuring, the area of an LS doubles every 12 inches and that corresponds to an fc of 62 Hz.

I'm quite sure you're not going to be able to bend 1 inch plywood.  Maybe you can use a sandwich of 1/8 plywood with glue slathered in between (though this gets to be a slippery mess).

WMcD

JWC,

I don't usually speak for someone else but I think Arash already completed his "Anahita" curved side LaScala:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154102-anahita-speaker-project/?hl=anahita

Correct me if I am wrong Arash

I was on and off the forum for awhile.  I actually browsed that thread in the past and didn't realize related to this.

See it now!  Amazing woodwork.

I didn't notice a good view of what he did with the back wall....splitter or not? 

Edited by jwc

etape8.JPG

I'm a big fan of this picture.  I like the throat and the splitter there and ramps.  I also like the full reflector at the turn forward. 

You could do the "curving stuff" afterwards to make the front/exit look appealing.

Looks like my old Peavey FH-1 bins. Had 6 of those in SP-1 form and cut off the top.

He did put ~ 3/4 reflectors in the jube.

Would you be wiling to explain what is meant by 3/4 reflectors?

This thread isn't the best for this....and I hope it doesn't turn sour......

What I call "Full" reflector is slang for "Diagonal" reflector.  If you drew out a straight axis horn and folded it, this is what you get.  I used this in My Jube-like bass horn and my big dual 15" corner horn build (Which I have yet to get all the plans on here).

What I call a "3/4" reflector is a "Radius" reflector.  You see these in some subs.

Please don't take this as firm rules.....an opinion.

post-14392-0-36340000-1461103080_thumb.j

• Like 1

We can all ways move it to one of your own threads, where it was somewhat discussed.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/72851-bass-horn-ideas-again-a-possible-build-need-criticism/

Its up to you.  However thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

Edited by duder1982

He did put ~ 3/4 reflectors in the jube.

Would you be wiling to explain what is meant by 3/4 reflectors?

What I call "Full" reflector is slang for "Diagonal" reflector.  If you drew out a straight axis horn and folded it, this is what you get.  I used this in My Jube-like bass horn and my big dual 15" corner horn build (Which I have yet to get all the plans on here).

What I call a "3/4" reflector is a "Radius" reflector.  You see these in some subs.

Please don't take this as firm rules.....an opinion.

Does narrowing the horn path by creating the full size reflector influence the sound? As a mechanic, I liken it to a venturi in a carb or TB which pressurizes, speeds up, then depressurizes the air all for the sake of fuel atomization.