TV bass exaggerated?

DizRotus

Since incorporating a pair of 25hz tapped horn subs into my modest HT, TV bass seems excessive, whereas music bass from vinyl and other quality sources seems spot-on.

Do TV broadcast engineers boost the bass so that weak speaker systems can still produce discernible bass? If so, a system that can deliver bass seems overpowering with TV; sounds like a hip-hop van at a stoplight. Movies and music seem fine. TV bass needs to be dialed down.

What are your experiences?

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

LFE mixed into multichannel audio tracks is historically 10 dB too high: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_effects#Development

Since broadcast television supports MP2 (one LFE channel), LFE is also impressed with infrasonic bass that is typically too high due to offset driver compression issues that most TV viewers have with their direct radiating subwoofers.

Edited by Chris A

LFE mixed into multichannel audio tracks is historically 10 dB too high: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_effects#Development

Since broadcast television supports MP2 (one LFE channel), LFE is also impressed with infrasonic bass that is typically too high due to offset driver compression issues that most TV viewers have with their direct radiating subwoofers.

So, is the answer yes?

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

My preamp settings that I've been using since my two TH subs arrived in my setup are set to decrease all LFE signals by 10 dB for all sources of LFE - and I still have plenty of infrasonic bass with my TH-SPUDs.

Before setting the LFE default to -10dB, my sub's drivers would sometimes bottom out during movies--because of way too much LFE. This also goes for TV signals having high LFE levels.

Edited by Chris A

My preamp settings that I've been using since my two TH subs arrived in my setup are set to decrease all LFE signals by 10 dB for all sources of LFE - and I still have plenty of infrasonic bass with my TH-SPUDs.

Before setting the LFE default to -10dB, my sub's drivers would sometimes bottom out during movies--because of way too much LFE. This also goes for TV signals having high LFE levels.

Thanks for the informative reply. It squares with my experience.

When using a pair of Anarchy TH subs, in my small listening space, with an amp/preamp w/o LFE output, all is well and natural. When using the LFE output from Onkyo AVR, the bass is excessive at times. Seems the Audyssey program expects the subs to be using LFE out.

Edited by DizRotus

My preamp is an Onkyo (PR-SC886), which has the settings of: (no attenuation of LFE, -10 dB, -20 dB, and no LFE), independent of Audyssey.

I find that once I got the FR in-room relatively flat (actually a bit rising from 75 Hz down to 17 Hz - the dark green line) to non-LFE bass signals, then I find that the -10dB setting on LFE is required for my setup. YMMV.

Cask05_jub_only_spud_only_room_final.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Bruce is right: LFE is a separate audio channel that is added to the subwoofer channel (or other channels) in a home theater surround system that can handle low-frequency audio.

From the linked article:

"The [home theater] bass management system may direct bass to one or more subwoofers (if present) from any channel, not simply the content of the LFE channel. As such, it is incorrect to call the LFE the subwoofer channel."

Ok but is it a set up that is akin to bass boost ??

Not really - more like special effects.

Bass boost is a function within the bass management system that is available in many home theater preamps, but it is strictly personal preference - like the older tone controls on stereo receivers or perhaps the "loudness" button. Bass boost is mainly there for users to compensate for a lack of low frequency response in many stereo setups, and even in some HT surround systems with small front, center, surround, and/or subwoofer loudspeakers.

There might be some muti-channel surround music recordings that use the LFE channel for infrasonic bass recorded with the music, but this practice isn't really what LFE was meant to do.

Edited by Chris A