Which AVR to get?

Hawksfan

Welcome Home to the Klipsch Forums.

Go over to AVS Forums & look up jdsmoothie in the Denon threads in the Reciever area.

Get his number from his profile & CALL him, he is with AVS Sales.

Tell him your budget, et Cetera. He will advise & may, or may not, recommend Denon. Ymmv.

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum Hawksfan. Marantz, Denon, Pioneer and Onkyo all make good avr's in that price range. Auddysee is a great calibration system and has benefits when using multiple subs. Pioneer does a great job with over all system integration and would be my recommendation. I won't pick a particular model because I don't know what is available in your area. Time to go out and listen to a lot of avr's in local stores and custom shops. This will give you a better ideal of what direction to go in. Buy the best avr's you can afford because in 1-4 months into this hobby you may find that you could have selected a better avr.

• Like 1

Unfortunately that isn't a very good budget for a receiver. Think of the receiver as the brains of the operation. The top tier models from the various brands gives you higher end amps, processors etc. with that said, there are deals to be had, especially on the used market.

How large is the room? Do you have an amp? 3D?

I would probably grab this one if I was you:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Seahawks fan? Season ticket holder here if that is the hawks you are referring to..

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

If you look for used AVRs (or AVPs, for that matter) with at least HDMI 1.3a inputs, unless you plan to use more than 5.1 channels, you'll have everything that you need, IMHO. Avoid DVI inputs. You can find the specifications of every AVR on line to check for their HDMI versions.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

:
Yes limited funds is no good. But like you said there are some deals out there. There is no store in my are that carries the Reference Series and affordable (for me) AVR's so I can't hear them together. I don't know if my system would sound different with a Denon vs. Yamaha vs. Onkyo etc. I'm hoping others who have had different brands would comment. BTW Hawksfan is for the Chicago Blackhawks!

I would look for a used Onkyo "8-series". There is a TX-SR805 near me for $425.

Just to generalize from what I read when I was shopping:

-Onkyos and Denons are "bright and crisp"

-Yamahas and Pioneers are "neutral and somewhat digital" sounding

-Marantz are "warm, smooth and sweet, and somewhat tube-like" sounding.

Again, this is just extreme generalizing based on what I read in my research.

Edited by mattSER

I owned Sony's back in the 80's and Yamaha's in the 90's. I've owned two different Denons in the last 5 yrs. They all were good AVR's. One thing that stood out from my experience was Yamaha's would go into protection mode alot. They are great sounding AVR's but in my experience they just lacked in the power department. After I sold my last Yamaha I bought Denon. I was running the exact same speakers (older Synergy 5.1 setup). Not once did my Denon 791 go into protection mode nor has my current 3312 model. To me that says alot about Denon amps compared to Yamaha. I listen to music at reference quite a bit. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Thanks to all of you for the input, I really appreciate it. For what it's worth I think I will go with a Denon AVR E400. Info says 90 watts per channel but who knows if it really does.. One review however said it ran really hot. Hopefully it was just the one the reviewer had!

If you can up the budget by about $200 you can get a mid-top of the line receiver from a few years back. I got the pioneer elite sc-65 for $650 shipped on the bay. It has 4k passthrough and 3d capabilities, and is 9.2 surround should I choose to add more later. $400 is a tough area to shop in. I find with the receiver you don't want to go to old if you desire things like 3d, 4k, or even hdmi (gasp).